1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    Were the studios for WFTL/WGLO in that plaza at Oakland and Federal at the time? Where did Ray Smithers, the man in the video, end up?

Ray is alive and well, living just north of the Palm Beaches. A very nice and talented man.

Lauderdale has definitely grown up, much of it happening in just the past 20 years. Parts of the city I used to frequent don't even look the same as they did in 2008 when I moved to Victoria Park. I still think WFTL could hold its own as a Broward-centric station if it were well programmed and was on a FM translator. I'd settle for an oldies station too! We dare to dream...
    The management of WFTL poured a lot of money and resources into the station. It was more than just music, a killer local news department and fun, topical promotions that attracted and kept listeners. It's clear that radio has turned it's back on the people who grew up with it, the boomers. Case in point 92.1 in Palm Beach had great overall numbers with their mix of older music. Just not the right numbers, today it's Spanish and the overall 6+ numbers aren't as good, but I guess they have more sellable numbers for the ad agencies.

Even in it's heyday WFTL was a great 35+ station. A lot of the time sales were direct to retailers. You'd have to bring back Britts Department Stores, and Running The Florist.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they did some sort of oldies format but it's not going to happen.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    They would do very well in...
    Both Cemetery Villages
    Wynmoor Village
    All four phases of Sunrise Lakes
    John Knox Village
    Palm Aire
    That's better than what they have now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    That's better than what they have now. lol
    Indeed.

Even in it's heyday WFTL was a great 35+ station. A lot of the time sales were direct to retailers. You'd have to bring back Britts Department Stores, and Running The Florist.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they did some sort of oldies format but it's not going to happen.
    You're probably right, I just hope that whatever they do with the station it's successful.

What languages would be good other than English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole?
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Super Moderator
    What languages would be good other than English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole?
    Klingon?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Klingon?
    Esperanto?
    Antarctican?
    Last edited by ai4i; 01-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Esperanto?
    Antarctican?
    Igpay Atinlay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheridan View Post
    The management of WFTL poured a lot of money and resources into the station. It was more than just music, a killer local news department and fun, topical promotions that attracted and kept listeners. It's clear that radio has turned it's back on the people who grew up with it, the boomers. Case in point 92.1 in Palm Beach had great overall numbers with their mix of older music. Just not the right numbers, today it's Spanish and the overall 6+ numbers aren't as good, but I guess they have more sellable numbers for the ad agencies.

Forgive me! I am not moving fast enough, just give me a few more years and I'll get that AM format back and do exactly this......only need more time!
    Radio is not a Job. Radio, is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Igpay Atinlay?
    This could be their first song.

Looks like the WFLL 1400 AM translator at 93.5 W228DO is back in business. Jorgenson re-filed and it was accepted on 1/20/2017. You can look at the Protected and Interfering Contour Map and see the relationships between WBGF (both the orginal transmitter location and NEW construction permitted one 7 miles east), along with Zoo Communications's Revolution Radio 93.5 W228BV.

I've read just about all (don't think I missed any) trade stories regarding the WFLL translator efforts. The first time I see the old 100.3 translator mentioned was on the aforementioned Radio and Television Business Report. No other trade mentions 100.3; they only mention the 92.5, then the 93.5 being moved from Sebring to Northern Broward. However, as Strangelove mentioned earlier:

"According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned."

The only time I see 100.3 first mentioned, is through this FCC paperwork.

Anyway . . . looks like WFLL will get it's FM translator after all. And it is still translator (field testing) with Glades Media's "Le Lay." Hopefull, the translator will inspire Jorgenson to do something interesting with the station, like a music format (syndicated classic country or oldies) instead of brokering the time. If the translator doesn't go through, again, that brokering will be WFLL's only hope.

Still wondering if they will move into MRBI's new WEXY 1520 studios and do an LMA like Jorgenson is doing with WMEN and WFTL with Alpha.

Like static through a tinny speaker . . . as the radio dial turns.
    Last edited by southernjock; 01-22-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast