• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New, BIG tower

Big 121

Leading Participant
Gaze south across the border to the southwest. A 4200' mtn. peak with an antenna complex on top is visible, with one large tower. It has 3 FM's, and TV service aimed at the S.D.
market, and outside the protected contours. Since late April, a new, rugged, 4 legged tower with a large cross-section has risen just eastward of the previous 'large' tower, dwarfing
it by 30-40 % in height.
Easily visible on a clear day with my 20-20 orbs, at a distance of 35 miles, it's Cerro Bolla's version of Sutro Tower. I have already taken signal readings on the 3 FM's, as some
sources hint at a 'signal enhancement' upon switchover.

BCN

Gaze south across the border to the southwest. A 4200' mtn. peak with an antenna complex on top is visible, with one large tower. It has 3 FM's, and TV service aimed at the S.D.
market, and outside the protected contours. Since late April, a new, rugged, 4 legged tower with a large cross-section has risen just eastward of the previous 'large' tower, dwarfing
it by 30-40 % in height.
Easily visible on a clear day with my 20-20 orbs, at a distance of 35 miles, it's Cerro Bolla's version of Sutro Tower. I have already taken signal readings on the 3 FM's, as some
sources hint at a 'signal enhancement' upon switchover.

Could it be the site of XHDTV 49?

Attachments

• Tijuana BCN.jpg
    Tijuana BCN.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
No luck finding it, where can one find pictures of this new big tower and possibly also the old? I'm intrigued to see what this looks like.

Don't know if any pics exist, yet. I used a spotting scope on Mt Helix for a better view. This project had a level of secrecy, until now.

I know of no technical changes involving Cerro Bola whatsoever, but the IFT can be sloooooow to post technical information.

I can't see this being a tower for Grupo Imagen for a bunch of reasons — they already have a radio station which has a tower closer to Tijuana (XHLTN-FM), they've built only a handful of new tower sites out of the 32 stations cleared by the IFT, and they have demonstrated a penchant for using public broadcasting facilities, not to mention the FCC hasn't cleared their proposed facility yet. When Imagen gets into Tijuana, it'll either be on the XHLTN tower or the Canal Once/XHTJB stick on Cerro Colorado, at least I'd guess.

Is the taller tower operational yet? I don't detect any "enhancement" of the three FM signals on Cerro Bola. All have same strength as before.

It seems one station on the mount has recently changed. 105.7 has gained roughly +3db , and matches TJ stations 107.7, 102.5, & 99.7 at my location.
Generally, a 3db increase is equivalent to a doubling of ERP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom