New, BIG tower

Thread: New, BIG tower

New, BIG tower

Gaze south across the border to the southwest. A 4200' mtn. peak with an antenna complex on top is visible, with one large tower. It has 3 FM's, and TV service aimed at the S.D.
    market, and outside the protected contours. Since late April, a new, rugged, 4 legged tower with a large cross-section has risen just eastward of the previous 'large' tower, dwarfing
    it by 30-40 % in height.
    Easily visible on a clear day with my 20-20 orbs, at a distance of 35 miles, it's Cerro Bolla's version of Sutro Tower. I have already taken signal readings on the 3 FM's, as some
    sources hint at a 'signal enhancement' upon switchover.

BCN

Quote Originally Posted by Big 121 View Post
    Gaze south across the border to the southwest. A 4200' mtn. peak with an antenna complex on top is visible, with one large tower. It has 3 FM's, and TV service aimed at the S.D.
    market, and outside the protected contours. Since late April, a new, rugged, 4 legged tower with a large cross-section has risen just eastward of the previous 'large' tower, dwarfing
    it by 30-40 % in height.
    Easily visible on a clear day with my 20-20 orbs, at a distance of 35 miles, it's Cerro Bolla's version of Sutro Tower. I have already taken signal readings on the 3 FM's, as some
    sources hint at a 'signal enhancement' upon switchover.
    Could it be the site of XHDTV 49?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No luck finding it, where can one find pictures of this new big tower and possibly also the old? I'm intrigued to see what this looks like.

Don't know if any pics exist, yet. I used a spotting scope on Mt Helix for a better view. This project had a level of secrecy, until now.

Could this be an image of the one you have seen?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Quote Originally Posted by radiolife3 View Post
    Could this be an image of the one you have seen?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
    Cerro Bolla is about 21Km south of the border. The pic. shows a site 77Km south that probably serves the Ensenada market. The new tower is much larger,
    and appears to be a dark color, like the older structure to the west.

I know of no technical changes involving Cerro Bola whatsoever, but the IFT can be sloooooow to post technical information.

I can't see this being a tower for Grupo Imagen for a bunch of reasons — they already have a radio station which has a tower closer to Tijuana (XHLTN-FM), they've built only a handful of new tower sites out of the 32 stations cleared by the IFT, and they have demonstrated a penchant for using public broadcasting facilities, not to mention the FCC hasn't cleared their proposed facility yet. When Imagen gets into Tijuana, it'll either be on the XHLTN tower or the Canal Once/XHTJB stick on Cerro Colorado, at least I'd guess.

Is the taller tower operational yet? I don't detect any "enhancement" of the three FM signals on Cerro Bola. All have same strength as before.

It seems one station on the mount has recently changed. 105.7 has gained roughly +3db , and matches TJ stations 107.7, 102.5, & 99.7 at my location.
    Generally, a 3db increase is equivalent to a doubling of ERP.