How many dance friendly stations did Phoenix have? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many dance friendly stations did Phoenix have?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Son View Post
    Here is an older thread that focused on that:
    http://www.radiodiscussions.com/show...ce-Leaning-CHR
    I remember that, was a decent attempt I guess, but wasn't bold enough to stick out years later honestly!
    Last edited by DJ_Perry; 08-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Perry View Post
    I remember that, was a decent attempt I guess, but wasn't bold enough to stick out years later honestly!
    I loved Power during its dance-leaning days and the ratings were great. I was also a huge Energy fan as well. So...when are we gonna get another?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Son View Post
    I loved Power during its dance-leaning days and the ratings were great. I was also a huge Energy fan as well. So...when are we gonna get another?
    Anyone brave enough to do what Alan Freed did in minneapolis? Kidding.

Maybe if I become a billionare, I can buy my own station either existing or new, do the requirements needed to get a 100,000 Watt stick and place it on top of the Wells Fargo building
    RIP Energy 92.7 & 101.1
    June 21, 2002 - October 31, 2008

Ok so Phoenix has had a good number of stations.

Disco 92
    KOPA 100.7
    1060AM KUKQ
    Y95
    103.9 Party Radio
    Power 92
    Beat Radio 740AM
    Energy 92.7 & 101.1
    Goldmine/The Pulse 90.7, 92.7, 88.7
    WOW 99.1
    Hot 97.5

Out of this list Disco 92 (assuming), Beat Radio, and Energy were 24/7 dance.

Hot 97.5 being the least friendly. Energy being the longest running.
    Last edited by AZDude; 08-17-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    RIP Energy 92.7 & 101.1
    June 21, 2002 - October 31, 2008

Super Moderator
    Well thank you for that! Nice to know that those things got noticed! But Sierra H still owns 92.7, they just lease it out to whoever wants to make them rich as they have a full signal now on 101.1... 92.7 was repeating their hip hop format until they upgraded in 2012. The leasing of 92.7 probably helps them keep the other 2 stations afloat!
    92.7 is owned by Happy Dog Communications, which owns no other stations or translators.

Sierra H owns two ultra-rimshot signals which are only "full" if you are trying to serve Prescott or Wickenburg or Sun City.

Nobody gets rich leasing a translator like 92.7 (which even upgraded only serves about 20% of the market)... maybe some extra income, but not a fortune.

The two Yavapai County stations together bill about $2.7 million annually, so they may be making money but likely smaller amounts.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

92.7 is owned by Happy Dog Communications, which owns no other stations or translators.

Nobody gets rich leasing a translator like 92.7
    Well yes on paper, but I happen to know who received the monthly rent when KVIT used it. And trust me, the amount is unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Nobody gets rich leasing a translator like 92.7 (which even upgraded only serves about 20% of the market)... maybe some extra income, but not a fortune.

92.7 is currently simulcasting KAZG 1440 and seems to cover the PHX metro area pretty well. I listen to it almost exclusively since 93.3 HD2 went off the air and I have yet to find an area of town where 92.7 isn't a perfect signal. It even carried SE almost to Pichacho Peak along I-10 and north on I-17 to Cordes Junction recently. That would seem to be much more than 20% of the market.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

yes especially with their huge jump in ratings. Their are tied now with KNRJ (ironically) with a 1.0

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    92.7 is currently simulcasting KAZG 1440 and seems to cover the PHX metro area pretty well. I listen to it almost exclusively since 93.3 HD2 went off the air and I have yet to find an area of town where 92.7 isn't a perfect signal. It even carried SE almost to Pichacho Peak along I-10 and north on I-17 to Cordes Junction recently. That would seem to be much more than 20% of the market.
    In-car will be greater than my "usable" estimate. But as nearly two thirds of listening is not in the car, the estimate I gave is valid. In-home and at-work, the 65 dbu contour is about the physical limit for building penetration. And the 65 dbu contour covers about 800,000 persons in a market of 4.2 million.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 08-17-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Super Moderator
    Well yes on paper, but I happen to know who received the monthly rent when KVIT used it. And trust me, the amount is unbelievable
    "Unbelievable" is a relative term. In a market where the top 7 stations bill at or above $10 million a year and probably cash flow in the $4 to $5 million range, "unbelievable" would be in the $100,000 a month range.

More likely and in the range of comparable translators in other markets would be anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000 a month.

Considering that KAZG bills in the range of $25,000 a month itself... and that is gross billing before expenses... I would expect that the rental of 92.7 is at the low end of that range. This is all the more probable since the audience that KAZG can get is going to be old and of no interest to agencies so all sales will be local direct, likely at very very low rates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast