• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many dance friendly stations did Phoenix have?

AZDude

New Participating Member
So yeah, in the history of Phoenix radio how many dance friendly stations did Phoenix have?

The ones I know of are...

Power 92
Energy 92.7 & 101.1
WOW 99.1
The Pulse (sort of)

That is all I know. Were there any others? Of the listed only Energy was all dance (actually 99.9%).

Also was Phoenix one of the cities that recieved Beat Radio?

Yes we had Beat Radio on 740AM 5p-5a

Y95 was quite dance friendly depending on the many eras it went thru. Especially on mixshows. 103.9 Party Radio played a good amount of dance, also depending on which era, and also on afterhour mixes. There was a time when ALL the Top40 stations went Dance on Fri / Sat afterhours (even 104.7 and The Edge which was Alternative).

Thanks for noticing WOW. I am still bummed I didn't get proper support. I wish 88.7 The Pulse would step up, but I'm afraid they are left to be a Pop station, unlike 2-3 years ago when I had more influence

Last edited:
Also, going back even further, I believe 92.3 was Disco 92 in the late 70s. KOPA 100.7 was the 1st station to introduce Hot Mix with Dave Rajput (1985), which was somewhat influenced by Hot Mix 5 Chicago. The station flipped to KSLX early 86, and the show moved on to KZZP, but shifted more mainstream. It was then picked up by ABC and became syndicated nationwide, but was based out of the valley. There was also 1060 KUKQ (Urban Era) which played many 12" versions in rotation like Expose, Nu Shooz, Janet, Bananarama and others. I think they were going after a wider audience with the pop artists, but they later flipped in 87 to Country, and then Alternative in 89.

So Phoenix has had eight stations that were dance friendly. Three of which were all dance.

Disco 92 (I assume)
Beat Radio
Energy

By your description it sounds like Y95 and Party Radio each went through an identity crises. Am I right on that?

As for WOW, I don't know what to say. I too am still bummed that they suddenly dropped the dance music. Were you planning on eventually converting it to all dance? Because toward near the end it seemed to be the case as more and more dance tracks were being played and less of the other stuff. I like how you guys would take a jab at The Pulse.

Speaking of The Pusle, I remember when they relaunched and took a jab at Sierra h Broadcasting by saying "90.7 & 92.7 The Pulse, commercial free ENERGY."

That didnt last too long. That station, I don't know what its trying to be. It is all over the place with different kinds of songs from several different genres.

My goal was to lose most of the hip hop and make WOW somewhat similar to what we did at Energy. But I kept getting resistance with management and they felt the need to also include stuff you can hear on any other top40 stick, static free. My feeling was, if you are gonna appeal to a niche audience, don't scare them away with the music they hate. Oh well. Kinda the same thing at The Pulse. Keep in mind, they use to be 90.7 The Goldmine (launched Feb 2011), and they didn't start using the Pulse name until they started leasing 92.7 from Sierra H. So it wasn't a jab, as KNRJ had ditched that format years ago. I had some input back then (around 2012/13) and we leaned Dance for a bit with the name change (BTW I have been using the same name Pulse107, for my online Dance station since 2011....so I'm sure that influenced also). But as you mentioned, it was short lived and I'm sure any Dance fans they once had are long gone. I took a short leave from them while I helped at WOW, but then returned so my mixshows would have a home on Friday nights, and Remix Top 30. This was also about the time they switched to 88.7

Back to your questions, yes Y95 and Party Radio were very confused. Good times tho! Made for some very interesting radio unlike today

Last edited:
I consider it a jab because of the fact KNRJ ditched the format. They dumped Energy, then later dumped the 92.7 stick. Goldmine picks it up and starts playing alot more dance music than before. Then they changed their name to Pulse and actually said the words "The Goldmine is now 90.7 and 92.7 The Pulse, commercial free ENERGY!" I took it as them saying hey if you don't want to play dance music on the 92.7 frequency then WE will!

Anyway, that really is unfortunate about what you had to put up with at WOW and Pulse. It makes me cringe. I am glad though that Pulse let you back in for your mixshow.

And I appreciate what you did during your time at WOW, Pulse, and Energy. I remember listening to your Nooner Mixes on Energy. I remember you would play that really unique remix of Stunt - Raindrops. I loved it and never heard it anywhere else.

So Phoenix has had eight stations that were dance friendly. Three of which were all dance.

Disco 92 (I assume)
Beat Radio
Energy

By your description it sounds like Y95 and Party Radio each went through an identity crises. Am I right on that?

As for WOW, I don't know what to say. I too am still bummed that they suddenly dropped the dance music. Were you planning on eventually converting it to all dance? Because toward near the end it seemed to be the case as more and more dance tracks were being played and less of the other stuff. I like how you guys would take a jab at The Pulse.

Speaking of The Pusle, I remember when they relaunched and took a jab at Sierra h Broadcasting by saying "90.7 & 92.7 The Pulse, commercial free ENERGY."

That didnt last too long. That station, I don't know what its trying to be. It is all over the place with different kinds of songs from several different genres.

You might want to also add Hot 97.5 (KMVA). They leaned dance from about 2012-2013 and used the slogan "The Hits and Dance Channel".

Cool! That is one I did not know about. How much of the playlist was dance? Do you know?

And I appreciate what you did during your time at WOW, Pulse, and Energy. I remember listening to your Nooner Mixes on Energy. I remember you would play that really unique remix of Stunt - Raindrops. I loved it and never heard it anywhere else.

Well thank you for that! Nice to know that those things got noticed! But Sierra H still owns 92.7, they just lease it out to whoever wants to make them rich as they have a full signal now on 101.1... 92.7 was repeating their hip hop format until they upgraded in 2012. The leasing of 92.7 probably helps them keep the other 2 stations afloat!

You might want to also add Hot 97.5 (KMVA). They leaned dance from about 2012-2013 and used the slogan "The Hits and Dance Channel".

And yes 2son I almost noted 97.5 but i also felt it was done so poorly and short lived

Cool! That is one I did not know about. How much of the playlist was dance? Do you know?

was only like 25%, was mainly CHR

Last edited:
Last edited:
I remember that, was a decent attempt I guess, but wasn't bold enough to stick out years later honestly!

I loved Power during its dance-leaning days and the ratings were great. I was also a huge Energy fan as well. So...when are we gonna get another?

I loved Power during its dance-leaning days and the ratings were great. I was also a huge Energy fan as well. So...when are we gonna get another?

Anyone brave enough to do what Alan Freed did in minneapolis? Kidding.

Maybe if I become a billionare, I can buy my own station either existing or new, do the requirements needed to get a 100,000 Watt stick and place it on top of the Wells Fargo building :cool:

Ok so Phoenix has had a good number of stations.

Disco 92
KOPA 100.7
1060AM KUKQ
Y95
103.9 Party Radio
Power 92
Beat Radio 740AM
Energy 92.7 & 101.1
Goldmine/The Pulse 90.7, 92.7, 88.7
WOW 99.1
Hot 97.5

Out of this list Disco 92 (assuming), Beat Radio, and Energy were 24/7 dance.

Hot 97.5 being the least friendly. Energy being the longest running.

Last edited:
Well thank you for that! Nice to know that those things got noticed! But Sierra H still owns 92.7, they just lease it out to whoever wants to make them rich as they have a full signal now on 101.1... 92.7 was repeating their hip hop format until they upgraded in 2012. The leasing of 92.7 probably helps them keep the other 2 stations afloat!

92.7 is owned by Happy Dog Communications, which owns no other stations or translators.

Sierra H owns two ultra-rimshot signals which are only "full" if you are trying to serve Prescott or Wickenburg or Sun City.

Nobody gets rich leasing a translator like 92.7 (which even upgraded only serves about 20% of the market)... maybe some extra income, but not a fortune.

The two Yavapai County stations together bill about $2.7 million annually, so they may be making money but likely smaller amounts.

Nobody gets rich leasing a translator like 92.7 (which even upgraded only serves about 20% of the market)... maybe some extra income, but not a fortune.

92.7 is currently simulcasting KAZG 1440 and seems to cover the PHX metro area pretty well. I listen to it almost exclusively since 93.3 HD2 went off the air and I have yet to find an area of town where 92.7 isn't a perfect signal. It even carried SE almost to Pichacho Peak along I-10 and north on I-17 to Cordes Junction recently. That would seem to be much more than 20% of the market.

92.7 is currently simulcasting KAZG 1440 and seems to cover the PHX metro area pretty well. I listen to it almost exclusively since 93.3 HD2 went off the air and I have yet to find an area of town where 92.7 isn't a perfect signal. It even carried SE almost to Pichacho Peak along I-10 and north on I-17 to Cordes Junction recently. That would seem to be much more than 20% of the market.

In-car will be greater than my "usable" estimate. But as nearly two thirds of listening is not in the car, the estimate I gave is valid. In-home and at-work, the 65 dbu contour is about the physical limit for building penetration. And the 65 dbu contour covers about 800,000 persons in a market of 4.2 million.

Last edited:
Well yes on paper, but I happen to know who received the monthly rent when KVIT used it. And trust me, the amount is unbelievable

"Unbelievable" is a relative term. In a market where the top 7 stations bill at or above $10 million a year and probably cash flow in the $4 to $5 million range, "unbelievable" would be in the $100,000 a month range.

More likely and in the range of comparable translators in other markets would be anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000 a month.

Considering that KAZG bills in the range of $25,000 a month itself... and that is gross billing before expenses... I would expect that the rental of 92.7 is at the low end of that range. This is all the more probable since the audience that KAZG can get is going to be old and of no interest to agencies so all sales will be local direct, likely at very very low rates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom