• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will Hot AC become CHR?

With almost all the Hot AC chart being slightly dated CHR music, do you think the format will ever merge to become CHR, urban tracks and all? It seems like the past couple of years have really "moved along" the format in a much more rhythmic direction. Will this be the future of this format?

With almost all the Hot AC chart being slightly dated CHR music, do you think the format will ever merge to become CHR, urban tracks and all? It seems like the past couple of years have really "moved along" the format in a much more rhythmic direction. Will this be the future of this format?

Hot AC is based on what it does not play. For the momen, they are separate formats.

First of all, I've always considered Hot AC to be CHR for people in their late 20s. Secondly, millennials are such a big generation that one format doesn't cover them all. They require options that contain the mixture of music they want. So rather than a merging of formats, I see multiple options with songs that narrowcast to certain demographics and lifestyles. I'm not sure if the formats all have names yet.

Obviously tempo is a big factor in all formats, including country. And you can't discuss Hot AC and CHR without considering where country is going, and who it's currently attracting. It's a big part of the musical spectrum, and is obviously attracting interest from artists, like Demi Lovato and Elle King, who currently have duets in the Country Top 20.

Hot AC seems to be a place for adults to hear current and recent hits, not so much a destination for the latest trend. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I personally feel with the decline of interest in terrestrial radio, as well as certain shows like Deliah losing stations, now is the time for some of these pop stations to merge the Hot AC, and or AC into the CHR format. Hopefully we're at the point were with the range of music today we will come closer to a unified Pop Music format. Just like it was between 1970 and 1988 during Casey Kasem's Original AT 40 run, granted they were some easy listening stations then, and there is still a place for them know, but to have unified Pop only stations will help dictate the flow of new music and new artists greater in the terrestrial line in order to compete with Spotify.

to have unified Pop only stations will help dictate the flow of new music and new artists greater in the terrestrial line in order to compete with Spotify.

I think it's already being done. Depends on the local market.

I also don't see any new artists getting significant play on Spotify or other streaming sites that aren't already getting play on FM radio.

I don't expect to see any formats merging, but as I said earlier, I expect to see them dividing into even narrower sub-formats as music tastes continue to splinter.

I personally feel with the decline of interest in terrestrial radio, as well as certain shows like Deliah losing stations, now is the time for some of these pop stations to merge the Hot AC, and or AC into the CHR format. Hopefully we're at the point were with the range of music today we will come closer to a unified Pop Music format. Just like it was between 1970 and 1988 during Casey Kasem's Original AT 40 run, granted they were some easy listening stations then, and there is still a place for them know, but to have unified Pop only stations will help dictate the flow of new music and new artists greater in the terrestrial line in order to compete with Spotify.

But listeners do not want the formats unified. They want the choice.

There are flavors of CHR, too. Rhythmic, CHurban, mainstream. Hot AC fits in between more conventional AC and CHR. The formats are distinct based on what each does not play as much as by what they do play.

It is no coincidence that generally the #1 and #2 stations in LA are CHR and Hot AC respectively. Advertisers like that because they reach two different core listener groups.

In fact, the same operator in LA has #1, #2, #3 and #4 in 18-49 and 4 of the top 5 in 25-54 with AC, Hot AC, CHR and contemporary Alternative.

You might note that the same company has 5 of the top 8 18-34 stations when you include their Rhythmic / Urban station.

As to the decline of terrestrial radio, you exaggerate the extent of this considerably.

And as to Delilah, her show is a victim of the PPM (much shorter real listening time than written in diaries by "fangirls") and the aging of her audience. This has nothing to do with CHR and AC and Hot AC.

Millenials are tuning into radio almost as much as the rest of us. I saw that over 91% of them listen every week. Compare that to x-ers who are about 95%.

How funny is this, a sign of the time for sure! I'm hearing Pitbull "feel this moment" on 106.7 lite-fm last night and right after it comes that soft jazzy Delilah jingle.

This is 2016, Hi Delilah this is Mike from Brooklyn, there was this girl April who captured my heart many years ago, the way her booty graced my unit when she would twerk on me in the club. I was wondering if I could send out a message to April that I miss her booty and play her a special love song, Delilah could you play "Smack Dat Azz" by Akon and Eminem, that was our special song, thank you.

Fayetteville NC doesn't have a CHR. There is no CHR listed in their Arbitron ratings. WQSM sure sounds like a CHR to me, as much as I'd like to be able to listen to classic country on my favorite classic country station. The last time I heard any reason to think they weren't was when they were doing 80s at lunchtime.

On the subject of Delilah, there is something new to be concerned about besides driving while texting. The comic strip Judge Parker is currently doing a storyline where a man is calling for advice WHILE DRIVING. He just had a wreck because he was distracted while talking on the radio, and the host explained that he or she wasn't there to help him with that situation. "Would you like to hear 'Radar Love'?" No word on the conditions of the people in the other car yet.

This is 2016, Hi Delilah this is Mike from Brooklyn, there was this girl April who captured my heart many years ago, the way her booty graced my unit when she would twerk on me in the club. I was wondering if I could send out a message to April that I miss her booty and play her a special love song, Delilah could you play "Smack Dat Azz" by Akon and Eminem, that was our special song, thank you.

Yay! Perfect.

I think it's important to echo what David said. Hot AC and Top 40 are separate in that Hot AC will go back to the early 2000s for songs that Top 40 won't play. I don't think Top 40 goes back more than three or four years, while Hot AC will go back more than a decade for some titles. Also, Hot AC stations will be a bit more selective in not playing songs that are too out there, either hip hop or rock.

It's true that if I were to play a station for you and ask if it's Hot AC or Top 40, it may take you four or five songs to figure it out. In years past, it would be apparent more quickly. For that matter, it may take several songs to figure out if a station is Hot AC or just AC. Again, in years past, you'd know more quickly. So it's true the three formats have moved closer. But they're still distinct.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom