• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

97X Panama City

97X got taken down by lightning and the damage was so bad they moved the station to 100.1. (see Facebook)

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Assumptions could be made that when 97.7 goes back on it air it'll get a new format or at least 100.1 will go a different direction when 97X returns home. With the depressed radio market and silent stations in the area, there's likely no rush to spend money, so this could last a while.

Any insights from the folks following Miracle Strip radio?

cceng? Tibbs? Redneck?

I think the issue is more of getting replacement antenna or hard line and a tower crew in place to climb and make the needed repairs. You maybe be correct about format change but I think the swap is to keep the Billing flowing on the station with the higher billing. WVVE has spots that aren't airing so there is a loss happening but this is the best work around for the situation.

A radio group would never want ads to not air. This is how they make payroll after all.

Greetings long lost RI posters.... I guess I do have to sort of chime in (thanks Poledo). I think this move is very smart. WVEE is not the dominant format, so throw on the superstar X. In a sense, this is great promotional advertising and if Magic is smart, they will market the heck out of this. If it was my station, I would start a "help us pay fund" just for the heck of it. Then I would carefully take all donations and double their money back. Loyalty 101 and Real Old Fashioned Radio. 97.7, as CCENG reminded me earlier this week, had a (similar) co-ax issue (?) back in the 90's when it was Pirate Radio (I thought that system failure happened in the 80's, but my brain is a bit old, and 97 wasn't on the air yet. See Charlie, I do listen to every word.) My guess is V's revenues are minimal give aways, so there is probably not a huge drop in $$$. Poledo - It is indeed an amazing that fact so many stations are in some form of financial or signal/equipment disaster or not on the air. BIG QUESTION - does anyone even notice or care? (FWIW - I doubt there will be a format change for 97X as they seem to be holding their own in the scheme of things. WVEE, as rhythmic AC, isn't doing half the volume, but still pretty solid in the scheme of things.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm definatly an amateur for not thinking about the rock vs urban add $ in PCB. Makes perfect cents.

Now isn't this the perfect time for WPFM to flip to Rock? Make 108 Great Again.

That would be amazing for nostalgia Poledo. I guess Powell needs an Urban-target station to mess with The Beat and Island for the club dollarz. I am too old to appreciate the 2016-version of WPFM, but I do listen online from time to time, just to hear the ID.

Truthfully, if it was my company, I would put a similar format to Hank-FM on 107.9, with a bit of a flashback memory/tribute kick and take 105 (now Hank-FM) to something a bit wilder/edgier/louder than PFM is now as Hot and go after The Beat and the Island with Urban. It would be great to have one thing from the past make a comeback in PCB. The Great 108 could be pretty dang awesome. Of course it all takes money and effort to flip and flop. Anyone hear much advertising on the Powell stations?

Maybe the only true million dollar idea would be to call WPFM Charlie FM???? Hmmm. LOL. Let's see if a certain engineer is not ham radioing it up and watching these boards. Which, I admit, I forget to do and am trying. Keep coming up with fun stuff here.

Last edited:
My opinion.....line was old when it was put up.....they bought a new transmitter about a year ago and this was the first time in MANY years that the line had seen 33kw (licensed transmitter power to get 100 kw for 97X) run thru it....surprised it lasted a year....they will probably say it was lightning damage and get away with new line and/or antenna.....amazing that they have been off over 2 months with a 100kw signal.....words cannot describe how I feel about this....if I was involved in this station I would be going bat-$hit crazy for it being off so long.....maybe they need a go fund me account......these are my personal opinions and NOT my employer's......

I guess it is cheaper just to not run the damn station than waste the electricity and other bills. Let's see, how many stations are off the air, not at maximum power or basically just in the crapper financially? You are right, as always, CCENG. How do you not have a power house like that on the air? And even more importantly, why has no other company taken one of their stations with a good signal, but lesser ratings than it should and rocked it? I am speaking out of place a bit, not knowing the signal of whatever Magic put the X on.

Two months without 97X.
Imagine if WPFM had flipped to rock as soon as WYYX went offline?
Even if they used a BS satellite fed rock format they'd be doing better than they've done in 2 decades.

93.5 is silent. 97.7 is silent. 104.3 is silent. I think a couple non-coms are silent.

CCENG's still Kicking Out the Jams on his babies.

Preach it, Poledo. We added "Addicted To Love" this week on Hippie in Nash. Now I am officially feeling old. That was one of the top songs during the summer of 1986, probably my favorite radio year and the year I think The Great 108 was at it's best in every way. Seems like it's gonna be hard to add "West End Girls" and "What Have You Done for Me Lately." Time fries when your getting old....unless your CCENG. Timeless, baby.

WYYX 97.7 (97X) is still very silent.

Even with a slew of silent stations in the area, it must amaze most folks that a 100kw station in Panama City can't afford to turn the lights.on. After 4-5 months they're not even running a lower power backup from an auxiliary antenna site.

It's also bizarre that 25kw 100.1 has now changed their calls to WYYX but still IDs as 97X on the 100.1 signal.

Sad days on the PCB.

Last edited:
I have not heard much on this. I am wondering if there is a tower/rental lawsuit or it is just too expensive to rent, etc. I agree, Seedless (Poledo) - hard to imagine you have all the forces working against you in PCB. Seasonal trappings, Spring Break reform, fewer listeners anyway and obviously less growth in ads. It's one thing if Magic is struggling and a cluster. I have to wonder what is REALLY going on, but I think they were in decent shape a while back. I wish someone would have the truth on how Powell is doing in the market. That signal (like 98.1 in FWB) has been cursed for many years. 98.1 shook it's past. I dunno, I still dream. Is that really a nightmare. Just too much going on elsewhere and gotta get the old body back to handle what that market would require.

You guys gotta think about this like a cheapskate GM. What did that 100 kW signal get them that they can't get on 100.1? They got the same signal where the ads are being targeted for a fraction of the cost, and obviously the urban format wasn't enough of a draw to warrant being kept around… All that 100 kW, feedline, antenna yada yada yada is money that ain't gonna be made back with that extra coverage.

Frankly, with the bean counters that run the big mega corporations, I'm surprised more markets aren't "downsizing" signals to save money. Call me crazy (everyone else does) but you could probably serve everyone in the market just fine with a choice location and a class A or C3 in PC, Dothan, FWB, Pensacola… Maybe even Mobile. We know people will listen to those piddly little 250 watt translators, and bean counters see a bottom line of what… $15,000 for a translator station to get going? Versus six or seven digits for a full C being built from the ground up? It's a wonder anyone even tries to upgrade anymore. More and more office listening is online, so that building penetration isn't such an issue anymore. People say on here all the time the people in the sticks don't matter when it comes to ads, so why even bother trying to reach them?

All's I'm saying is, I wouldn't actually be surprised to see 97.7 downgraded, or even turned in, all things considered. What would any of you do to make money with that kind of signal?

I'm sure our ol' buddy cceng would gladly trade one of his smaller babies, 94.5 or 99.3, for 97.7. 97.7 has a massive signal when tuned up. It'd be an awesome signal for news/talk now that Geneva, AL's 93.7 no longer serves North West Florida... or Dothan, or The Gump.

Just imagine what old man Hale could do with 97.7... ;)

I think the simplest answer is being ignored. In other words, when you hear hoof-beats, think "horses" and not "zebras".

The station was hit by lightening right down the coax to the transmitter. It went off, and needs extensive repairs. The format moved to a lesser facility where it replaced a lesser performing format.

As a former Tallahassee broadcaster with friends in the area, I have heard that the insurance claim is being very slowly processed. And it's needed to do the big rebuild. This is not unlike KGOL in the Houston metro; they had extreme flooding at their daytime site months and months ago and need the insurance money to rebuild.

Remember, this is a market with 18 commercial stations in the single county metro and only $6 million radio dollars among them all. The cost of rebuilding a "big" facility is not going to come out of operating income alone.

Versus six or seven digits for a full C being built from the ground up? It's a wonder anyone even tries to upgrade anymore. More and more office listening is online, so that building penetration isn't such an issue anymore.

Nearly 2/3 of all listening is in building (homes, offices, workshops, etc) today. So penetration is very important. An A in Panama City will not cover the full market adequately, although a C0 barely does.

The fact is that if a station wants to compete for listening it has to be listenable with a good signal. There is enough at work and at home listening to make it of extreme value; online at the moment is generally not local and does not have opportunities for local retail accounts.

Last edited:

Nearly 2/3 of all listening is in building (homes, offices, workshops, etc) today. So penetration is very important. An A in Panama City will not cover the full market adequately, although a C0 barely does.

The fact is that if a station wants to compete for listening it has to be listenable with a good signal. There is enough at work and at home listening to make it of extreme value; online at the moment is generally not local and does not have opportunities for local retail accounts.

The area I live in (Baldwin Co., Ala.), despite being a desert for high speed internet choices, must be an outlier, then. I can't speak for in homes, but in businesses and especially restaurants, the listening habits to terrestrial radio is practically zero and has been for years. Five years ago, if I heard any radio station at all being played in an office, workshop or restaurant, it was almost always WXBM or WCSN. Less common was WYCT. I have not once heard WMXC or WMEZ or any of the other "at work" AC stations in an office or business setting. A few places would have WABF out of Fairhope on, in all its static-y glory.

A trend that has seen some growth in my observation is places with TVs putting the cableco music channels on. DMX or Music Choice, no idea who they are, but it's shown up at a couple of local seafood places as well as the Mexican place in Loxley that I eat at regularly. Those seafood places (a small chain) also tend to put on The Country Channel off WEAR's .2 subchannel, too.

If I hear anything terrestrial in offices or stores anymore, it's only WCSN or WYCT. I simply do not hear anyone else in Baldwin County as far as in-building listening goes. And this is where all the big TX sites are located, so reception is never an issue.

What I *do* hear? Pandora. Terrible as it is, everyone seems to be playing Pandora. Or Spotify. Or even iHeart Radio. A local diner loves to play some NY-state country station via iHeart, despite the fact we have several decent country stations in the area. I see some Apple Music/iTunes playlists on iPhones once in a blue moon, but by and large it's Pandora. No idea why, I hate that service and find it to be extremely limited. I guess it's one of those things that's popular because it's popular. A local BBQ joint uses it, and they're constantly having to go and force close the app on the phone and restart it because it keeps quitting. So stupid.

Now, in car listening is a different story, but I'm much more limited there because I do go around asking to get in people's cars. But I do hear music blasting from open windows in the summer, and again the story isn't much different. WYCT, WXBM (both technically Pensacola stations and therefore out of market), WBLX and sometimes WAVH. But again, that's about it. I've heard WTKX a few times, too. I guess people who listen to WDLT or WMXC or WKSJ are just polite and never turn the volume up. ;)

Now, as to in-building penetration in PC, if the rumors are true that Magic skimped on the coax and bought used, then that would hurt their coverage, wouldn't it? It may be a C, but it's a C out in the sticks, north of FL-20. So while I'm sure on paper PC itself is in the 70 dBu, realistically coverage was likely worse. That has always been my experience. I always had trouble receiving 97X in Panama City Beach when I was passing through. I'm sure it was better inland, but it wouldn't even stop the scan on the radio sometimes, right in the heart of the tourist area. I certainly never had those issues with WVVE when it was on its old freq., or Sunny or WPFM.

Last edited:
According to the other site, WWLY 100.1 FM Panama City is now doing Classic Country under the Wild Willie branding.

Dan <><

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom