• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New to public radio...

I'm new to public radio and the only content I've listened to so far is NPR's newscasts on its mobile app or online at NPR.com, the BBC World Service, an hour of Morning Edition, The Takeaway and part of The Diane Rehm Show.

My home station is 91.3 WLRN-FM-HD1 in Miami - Fort Lauderdale which has NPR and APM shows with Jazz on weeknights and Folk/Acoustic Music on Sundays.

Anybody wish to help me consider which shows to listen to?

What are your interests?

If you like news, Morning Edition and All Things Considered are pretty good. Weekend Edition, too.
BBC World is good if you like international news.
TED Radio Hour and The Moth are good for storytelling.
Freakonomics is good if you like anything analytical- it's not strictly economics.
For sports talk (without the nonstop banner and with more diverse topics related to sports), try Only A Game.

NPR has programming for a wide variety of interests. If you give me more information, I might be able to recommend other programs. I'm not sure if all of the above are on your station, though the ones that aren't are available as podcasts.

What are your interests?

If you like news, Morning Edition and All Things Considered are pretty good. Weekend Edition, too.
BBC World is good if you like international news.
TED Radio Hour and The Moth are good for storytelling.
Freakonomics is good if you like anything analytical- it's not strictly economics.
For sports talk (without the nonstop banner and with more diverse topics related to sports), try Only A Game.

NPR has programming for a wide variety of interests. If you give me more information, I might be able to recommend other programs. I'm not sure if all of the above are on your station, though the ones that aren't are available as podcasts.

I like news and sports. WLRN carries the following...

Morning Edition = 5:00-9:00am
All Things Considered = 4:00-6:00 and 6:30-7:00pm (Marketplace is in between) + weekends from 5:00-6:00pm
Weekend Edition = 8:00-10:00am
BBC World Service = 1:00-5:00am weeknights, 1:00-6:00am Saturdays and 12:00-6:00am Sundays.
TED Radio Hour = 7:00-8:00pm Sundays.
Freakonomics = Not carried by WLRN.
Only A Game = 7:00-8:00am Saturdays.

My first show on NPR was "Car Talk". Hard to believe there's something for the John Boy and Billy crowd there. They're still doing reruns.

And just because the radio was already on, I discovered "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" but never listened to an entire episode. Not that I wouldn't, but I just have other things to do.

WNYC, WGBH, PRX, and APM all produce or distribute good shows like Radio Lab (stories about science related things), The World (international news show), This American Life (stories (fiction/non-fiction about a theme), and Marketplace (daily business show).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom