• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Brooke & Jubal are "Movin" to country...

Not to a country station in Seattle - they're staying at 92.5 but they just picked up another affiliate, WIRK in West Palm Beach.

So will B&J fit the South Florida country lifestyle? Alpha apparently thinks so.

How does an East Coast station carry a West Coast morning show? Will WIRK have its own morning show, then run B&J at 9am? And why would a country station, which should be playing music in middays for a workplace audience, instead be running a Top 40 morning show? Don't B&J play some music? Will WIRK cover their Top 40 songs with Country songs? What happens when B&J discuss Rhianna, Jayzee and Beyonce at length but not Kenny Chesney or Keith Urban?

There are plenty of County morning shows that start at 6am Eastern time. Why go this route?

How does an East Coast station carry a West Coast morning show? Will WIRK have its own morning show, then run B&J at 9am? And why would a country station, which should be playing music in middays for a workplace audience, instead be running a Top 40 morning show? Don't B&J play some music? Will WIRK cover their Top 40 songs with Country songs? What happens when B&J discuss Rhianna, Jayzee and Beyonce at length but not Kenny Chesney or Keith Urban?

There are plenty of County morning shows that start at 6am Eastern time. Why go this route?

Because, like other big syndicated shows, it's a bunch of bits that are inserted where the station wants.

My guess is Brooke and Jubal are available as a very flexible (AKA: easy to add or drop parts for more music-intensive stations), dirt cheap, personality-driven show that frequently has name recognition from "Jubal's Phone Tap" bits that play in almost every market.

Think of all the savings companies like Alpha are making by putting them in...

They've axed something like 5-6 local morning shows? At its most simple, let's say a station requires 3 people in the AM at a cost of $100,000/year per station.

That's over a half million in savings. Doubt Brooke or Jubal will get anywhere close to half that amount for syndication to these markets.

Alpha is doing this to prevent themselves from being the next iHeart. Cut costs where folks really don't notice too much so you can pay down the notes that come due...you think most people commuting in Boca Raton, FL really give a flying flip whether their morning show on their country station comes from WPB or Seattle? As long as you don't mention it, there will be zero complaints. If billing goes down because commuters on I-95 can't take that type of morning show...who cares? You saved several hundred grand...and anywho, you get absolutely no billing if you can't pay the note and the bank takes the stations from you.

I know if I were a GM of a cluster of stations in a rated market with today's radio climate, I'd be a fool not to throw a decent syndicated show in the place of under-performing local jocks.

Radio-X

My guess is Brooke and Jubal are available as a very flexible (AKA: easy to add or drop parts for more music-intensive stations), dirt cheap, personality-driven show that frequently has name recognition from "Jubal's Phone Tap" bits that play in almost every market.

IOW, a low-budget Z100 Morning Zoo (most likely 100% barter for some markets).

Tell you what: Let's all reconvene when the fireworks shoot off the Space Needle and see how many affiliates B&J have then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom