• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOR-FM Makes Its FM Rock Debut 50 Years Ago Today!

At 6 a.m. on Saturday, July 30, 1966 WOR-FM decides not to simulcast Rambling With Gambling and makes it's famous FM Rock Radio debut. The first song played on the new WOR-FM was "Wild Thing" by The Troggs. A new revolution in radio began with FM Rock 50 years ago today!

Actually the start time was 9AM, and they continued to simulcast Gambling for a while until a morning show could be established.

I still have a RtR tape I made of WOR-FM in the 1970 time frame. I can upload it if anyone is interested. PM me with your email address.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly the format started with an AFTRA strike , there supposedly was a picket line outside the studios and WOR-FM even had a "promo" saying come on Scott-so, Rosco and the other jocks were named too ... get up here !

I don't think this lasted more then a day ,there were some issues that AFTRA had concerns about that caused this.

WOR-FM really sounded good at the beginning , 1966 , 67.

I loved the 98.7 ... STEREO .... then into a song , jingle they had

Al

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom