• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

From George West With Love

Yes, because we all know that the Houston market desperately needs yet another Spanish language religious station. :(

The proposed translator will have to work around three yet-to-be-launched LPFMs in metro Houston.

Well get ready, Frog. There's more to come.

...and boy, is there a big surprise coming to stan and C-Dub's backyard...

Yes, because we all know that the Houston market desperately needs yet another Spanish language religious station.

The problem is that every religion and subset and ministry wants to believe that they hold the purest and best interpretation of scriptures... so given the chance many of them will want to have a radio voice for their ministry. If they can afford a station and it's legal to have it, the lure of broadcasting is very powerful.

Given how active the evangelical movement is among Hispanics, it's also natural to expect that a lot of those stations will be in Spanish.

However, it isn't natural for everyone of them to be owned and/or operated by Hector Guevara, Cesar Guel, or a Pasadena dwelling "family of God" member, of the surname Villarreal.

We are not faced with multiple ministries targeting us, only the same 3 that wish to take over the whole of both dials in Houston.

Scratch that, Texas. And likely coming soon to Louisiana.

That really wouldn't matter. The prices paid for stations are beyond most people's reach. With LPFM being a low investment option only a few thousand even give it a try after a wait of over a decade to get the chance. Most of the folks that complain most frequently never try to change the tide. It's much like the folks that think they have the answer to what will turn radio on its ear, mostly they never try to get an opportunity to find out if they're right or wrong. Yes, the big companies make it harder but it can be done. I remember when Hector Guevara was starting. Radio Vida started with little, worked hard and started applying for frequencies. What I'm saying is Hector was an average guy who put a plan in action and refused to give up.

I don't have the type of money required to make a purchase of a facility, Bill. Unlike certain individuals currently operating, I was always too honest of a person to be a good swindler.

Or K?BJ, iheart, Cox, or Clueless, for that matter. There's not enough spectrum for folks who want to broadcast, so why should so few horde it. I think the ownership limits back in the 80s need to be reinstated...

The change in ownership caps came about mostly because the excess licensing of the FCC (with Docket 80-90 being a prime example) had created too many stations for the existing ad revenue. Over half were losing money.

And because radio was a small business with little ability to grow beyond 7 AM and 7 FMs, operators had a very hard time finding financing for operations or expansion. Owners generally could not offer decent health insurance or even retirement plans of any kind.

Consolidation was about the only answer for an industry in a very deep crisis. Calling the large companies by silly names does not help understanding this fact.

However, it isn't natural for everyone of them to be owned and/or operated by Hector Guevara, Cesar Guel, or a Pasadena dwelling "family of God" member, of the surname Villarreal.

But in quite a number of these cases, stations existed under other owners or ministries and were picked up by operators like Guevara when they realized that limited facilities just could not bring to a church the response they thought they would get and the costs were found to be too great.

In many cases, the smaller congregations that got a radio station were not unlike a dog chasing a car. Once they caught it, they did not know what to do with it.

Last edited:
I know Purple Devil, we're in the same boat. Not just on the finances but doing it the right way too. I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote that. I have just found those that complain the loudest are usually those with no interest in changing what they dislike or even attempting the first baby step.

You have to look at some of these growing operators and wonder what sort of can of worms they've created. Leaders of such organizations tend to be positive thinkers, tend to be fueled by 'power' in some way (ie: you have to enjoy leading to lead) and, from the pastors I have met, tend to be a little too optimistic at times. Some let compassion get the best of them (ie: a small group wants them in their community but there's not enough base to support the station). All goes fine until the economy goes south or a few can't continue the financial support they did in the past.

I've seen ministries take stations dark, lose their license because of it, and a few simply go from all to nothing, starting all over again from square one. I have also seen some just continue to soar. More often than not, the growth is based on promises of funding but some promises are sometimes broken or made in the moment without rational thought.

The ministries you mentioned are currently soaring like an eagle, seemingly carefully funded with ample dollars. I hope they are careful to not let administrating overshadow ministry as they build. I base this on getting to know many ministries when I was selling time at a Christian station. Sometimes what the ministry built took so much time and attention that the ministry that got them there ends up being overshadowed and then it starts to fall apart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom