• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Early 90s playlists?

icycool7227

Star Participant
I was curious about some of the playlists that hot ACs and CHRs had so I looked up some radio station websites using archive.org.However that only goes back to 1996. Some stations had songs at the bottom of the chart that I've never heard before (like for example: Why by Sister Moon). What I'd like to see is some playlists in the years 1990-1995. Can anyone please share a monthly playlist? I want to find songs that didn't make top 100 of the year 1994, etc. It would be interesting to hear them!

VERY resourceful magazine!! I was able to finally obtain 1985-1989 playlist information for KIIS-FM that I've been looking, for a very long time. Thank you!

This was the magazine that was the "must read" for most of us in programming from the time it began in 1973 up until the Internet put much of the information online in the new Millennium. While there were more format specific music trades with playlists and adds (Gavin, Hitmakers, Hamilton, Fred, Hard Report, FMQB, Album Report, BRE, etc.) R&R combined business and programming news with music charts based on airplay and individual station reports across more formats than any other publication.

This was the magazine that was the "must read" for most of us in programming from the time it began in 1973 up until the Internet put much of the information online in the new Millennium. While there were more format specific music trades with playlists and adds (Gavin, Hitmakers, Hamilton, Fred, Hard Report, FMQB, Album Report, BRE, etc.) R&R combined business and programming news with music charts based on airplay and individual station reports across more formats than any other publication.

Yes. It's really, really informative. I am going to read some articles in-depth about the industry and Southern California radio when I get a chance. I already glanced at some front page headlines, which some of course, relate to radio stations under RKO and other similar articles, not to mention ratings and more playlist survey charts (and #1 songs) in the 1980's. Truly amazing that this still exists, kind of like finding radio gold once again!!

But don't worry, I won't be bringing up the old KRTH topics here any longer. I'd rather just learn more about radio's history and ways with a great reference tool provided here. It's amazing stuff! And thank you for the list of other trade magazines, hopefully some of them are available online with playlists, like R&R.

I just never realized R&R contained surveys all this time. Btw, what does CHR "Parallel One" playlists mean?

Last edited:
Yes. It's really, really informative. I am going to read some articles in-depth about the industry and Southern California radio when I get a chance. I already glanced at some front page headlines, which some of course, relate to radio stations under RKO and other similar articles, not to mention ratings and more playlist survey charts (and #1 songs) in the 1980's. Truly amazing that this still exists, kind of like finding radio gold once again!!

But don't worry, I won't be bringing up the old KRTH topics here any longer. I'd rather just learn more about radio's history and ways with a great reference tool provided here. It's amazing stuff! And thank you for the list of other trade magazines, hopefully some of them are available online with playlists, like R&R.

I just never realized R&R contained surveys all this time. Btw, what does CHR "Parallel One" playlists mean?

Parallel One was the group of primary CHR reporters. And, of course, R&R invented the term "CHR" to differentiate itself from other magazines with charts.

Nearly all issues of Billboard from 1938 to 2011, most of the Cash Box and Record World issues ever published, some issues of Fred, Hamilton, etc, a number of BRE, and periods of Network 40, the Hard Report, Gavin, Radio Report, Album Network, FMQB and Hitmakers are all at http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm Scroll down to "Broadcasting - Music Related" and there are links for all of them.

Parallel One was the group of primary CHR reporters. And, of course, R&R invented the term "CHR" to differentiate itself from other magazines with charts.

Nearly all issues of Billboard from 1938 to 2011, most of the Cash Box and Record World issues ever published, some issues of Fred, Hamilton, etc, a number of BRE, and periods of Network 40, the Hard Report, Gavin, Radio Report, Album Network, FMQB and Hitmakers are all at http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm Scroll down to "Broadcasting - Music Related" and there are links for all of them.

Thank you David....I noticed there are some missing issues in the early 90's and in the earlier 80's and 70's for R&R. Is American Radio History the primary site for these periodicals or do you have any suggestions as to where the missing issues could be located? If we can't, that's fine. I figure what I've found so far, is worth a ton!!

Thank you David....I noticed there are some missing issues in the early 90's and in the earlier 80's and 70's for R&R. Is American Radio History the primary site for these periodicals or do you have any suggestions as to where the missing issues could be located? If we can't, that's fine. I figure what I've found so far, is worth a ton!!

In every case (except Cash Box and some Billboard issues) the site is the only place where those other titles can be found.

I know of several collections of R&R, but they are non-circulating and in-library use only. I have offered a bond to borrow them for scanning, but got turned down.

In every case (except Cash Box and some Billboard issues) the site is the only place where those other titles can be found.

I know of several collections of R&R, but they are non-circulating and in-library use only. I have offered a bond to borrow them for scanning, but got turned down.

Well, for icing on the cake. I've just located a few KRTH surveys under the CHR Parallel pages in the earlier 80's. An unbelievable find!! I didn't know they were classified under CHR. Maybe a technicality? Either way, it's radio gold!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom