• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1050 KWLD Liberty

P

purpledevil

I've been enjoying learning quite a bit about several radio facilities of years gone by, while continuing my research on the former KVLL AM & FM combo in Woodville. I ran across a listing from 1963 today, that includes information for my research, but also a listing of a KWLD @ 1050kHz in Liberty, Liberty County.

What was KWLD Liberty on 1050? Facility #68124, which is currently licensed as KCHN Brookshire started life in 1967 as a construction permit, lighting up in August 1968 as KPXE Liberty, then being sold to an Arthur Liu, resulting in the station moving to Brookshire in (or around) 1994.

So, knowing this much so far, is there available information out there as to what exactly this KWLD that predates the former KSHN once was? Did it fold, along the lines of the old KUFO/KQQK Galveston, in which the dial position was replaced by a new facility?

My memory might be fuzzy but this is what I remember of 1050: It was co-owned with KSHN.

It seems the owner turned in the license for the AM. As I recall it was a few years later that Arthur Liu constructed. Like I said, all the brain cells might not be firing.

I recall talking to my boss about this. I explained it was the AM and FM in Liberty, I think simulcasting, and the owner simply turned off the AM and turned in the license. I recall saying that was crazy. My station owner had a different opinion: the AM had certain costs that would be additional profit if the AM was out of the way. It was likely the station was generating near it's peak of what radio dollars were available. In other words the total dollars were X and if the AM did a different format, the FM would and AM combined would still have the same dollars as far as income goes. In lieu of selling to someone that would likely be a competitor, he turned in the license. This makes sense because in a place like Liberty two separate competitors could split available radio dollars to the point neither station can afford to serve the community as well as KSHN does all by itself.

How Arthur got 1050 is something I do not know. I know Mr. Liu met my owner about the time he got 1050 and it seemed it had been at least a couple of years but I could be wrong. Then again, Liu might have bought it, applied to move it and later, after the move was allowed, he visited. I simply do not know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom