• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could Erick Erickson Outrage Take Him Out @ WSB?

Not looking for a political discussion but I am wondering if the outrage I am seeing over Erickson's refusal to support the Republican nominee could possibly take him out at WSB radio? Back in May, he bumped heads with morning host Hermain Cain after Cain made a few comments on his show about Erickson not supporting Trump. That resulted into Erickson blasting Cain at the beginning of Erickson's 5 p.m. show in response. Now, after Erickson's refusal to support Trump now that he is the nominee, listeners of the station are going nuts including calling out his advertisers and on Thursday, Erickson hinted that the threats are actually working and he is losing advertisers. Finally, on Thursday, Erickson said he would no longer mention "his" name on the show and sure enough, the Trump word was not uttered.

I've heard his ratings are actually pretty good so I'm wondering if while ratings are good, could advertising dollars be the death of Erickson. I do note that Monica Perez, the Libertarian host on WSB, is also not supporting Trump but I don't see any outrage aimed at her (may be a sign to Erickson's listener-ship vs hers).

Just looking for thoughts based on a radio perspective (not a political one).

It's all about ratings and revenue, not politics. WSB (being owned by a liberal media company) doesn't have an official pro-Trump position

If it's really true that advertisers are pulling out, they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The "feud" between Cain and Erickson makes for compelling radio, in addition to big ratings. As someone who places advertising dollars, I look for compelling radio, content that keeps listeners engaged as opposed to content that people use as background. This does not mean I agree with Cain or Erickson; it's not about that.

I also want to draw a distinction between this and the Rush Limbaugh/Sandra Fluke incident, which many took as offensive. And that hurt talk radio in general as far as attracting quality advertisers. The Cain/Erickson tiff is a whole different thing.

One more point: I consider all talk radio to be entertainment. Maybe Cain and Erickson are really feuding. But, who knows?

The afternoon guy on WSB acts like a petulant child and is frankly not very talented as a political host (or any other kind for that matter.) I'm no trump supporter so my dislike is not based on that. This guy came from CNN, is an elitist, and shills for the elite. I think the technical term is pig-dog.
WSB can put a tone on 5-7p and the ratings will not change. Same for the other dayparts. There was not one iota of difference in the ratings when boortz left...I think they actually went up! (Probably panel changes) They could easily can ear-ache without suffering any loss of listeners or revenue.

I'm one of many who has called to complain. But the program director claims his ratings have increased. I said it was news and traffic, but he says they see a difference between guests and Eric. Barf.

I like him better when he is focused on local politics vs national. I'm libertarian so our views are not the same (especially with social issues) and I despise Trump. With that being said, I do believe Erickson has a place at WSB but not during primetime. I would much rather see Eric Von Haessler take over afternoons. He is much more entertaining while still focusing on politics. Of course, he's also not a supporter of Trump.

I'd be willing to bet that this has increased ratings though. Be interesting to watch those numbers.

RoddyFreeman - Good comments as always.

These feuds between radio personalities are what the Kimmer used to call a "booger show"--all made up for ratings.

A while ago Eric was going after Alex Jones. At the time Alex was not on in this market. Most people had no idea who he was talking about. I think his attack was due to jealousy. Alex is in the "Heavy Hundred" and Eric is not.

My Personal Assessment of Mr. Erickson …

He is another "flash" that CMG has latched on to in the hopes he will catch fire and take off. The last one of this kind was Ludlow Porch. There are only a few gems like that in the universe and Wizzbee would like to lock them all up. They have had others -- Clark Howard, Herman (though I can't stand him and think he is a great phony) and the raid on Wigest to get Boortz. Others, not so much … Dave Baker has done okay, but not the flaming rocket they thought. They won't give Mark Arum (sp?) enough of a chance. That guy from 96 rock (the Regular Guys) they have on Sundays is their hope, too. Just don't think Erickson has the legs to stand for very long. (And he'll be toast if Trump wins. Who will listen to someone complain about another he has vowed not to mention their name? But in all likelihood, this is a planned stunt to boost ratings during the dry political season.

A while ago Eric was going after Alex Jones. At the time Alex was not on in this market. Most people had no idea who he was talking about. I think his attack was due to jealousy. Alex is in the "Heavy Hundred" and Eric is not.

Without getting political, Alex Jones is the kind of guy you either love or think is a complete wacko.

Personally I'd put him in the same bucket as Art Bell and the rest of the folks (past and present) on Coast to Coast.

Without getting political, Alex Jones is the kind of guy you either love or think is a complete wacko.
Personally I'd put him in the same bucket as Art Bell and the rest of the folks (past and present) on Coast to Coast.

Alex is a regular guest on C2C. He has a show on shortwave and the internet. I get entertained when I see such a good microphone on his desk "amplifying" such a scratchy voice. :-0

Saw this circulated yesterday from him: https://medium.com/@ewerickson/when-the-world-turns-upside-down-a81f4896f228#.73ergrmbj

The part that stands out:

"Thus far it has not actually affected me in radio. My cumulative listening audience has increased about 70% since I planted my flag against Trump. I am the most listened to talk radio program in Atlanta. In fact, even with all of this, more people are listening to me in Atlanta than any other program in evening drive time and in the much coveted demographic that advertisers love, only one adult contemporary station regularly gets ahead of me. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out and I’ve been waiting since February."

Wonder if that's right.

Saw this circulated yesterday from him: https://medium.com/@ewerickson/when-the-world-turns-upside-down-a81f4896f228#.73ergrmbj

The part that stands out:

"Thus far it has not actually affected me in radio. My cumulative listening audience has increased about 70% since I planted my flag against Trump. I am the most listened to talk radio program in Atlanta. In fact, even with all of this, more people are listening to me in Atlanta than any other program in evening drive time and in the much coveted demographic that advertisers love, only one adult contemporary station regularly gets ahead of me. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out and I’ve been waiting since February."

Wonder if that's right.

I'm looking at the Nielsen Answers ratings now. I can't find ANY demo where he has increased audience by 70%. 6+ numbers have fallen from 8-15 to 8-16. Men 25-54 AQH is a bit higher but cume is barely changed. Exactly WHERE have you increased WSBs 3-7P ratings 70% ereekson?
Someone should point out to ereekson that WSB has been on a steady trend upwards for ALL dayparts. They could put a 1000 cycle tone on 3-7p and as long as there is news, traffic, and weather the numbers wouldn't change one bit.
I'm happy I have a special tuning knob so I can listen to something more relevant like Polka music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom