• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYW radio features

Haven't listened to them for years. Just wondering if they still run the same features, gardening reports, pet reports etc. They just seemed to crowd out what's important.

Haven't listened to them for years. Just wondering if they still run the same features, gardening reports, pet reports etc. They just seemed to crowd out what's important.

Well, they've had Rewind (Brandon Brooks' review of milestones in entertainment history) for about a decade now, maybe 12 years. They recently dropped the podcast when the music industry lawyers started circling that particular wagon.

I forget the name of the gal who does gardening nowadays (Fran something).

ixnay

I can't remember her name either or the pet report stuff. I never heard that anyway. There was a Marci Mattleman who I think did an education report and some juvenile movie reviews from Bill Wine. There are others I've forgotten but when these features were added into the commercials, most of which sound like call 1-800-CON (not sold in stores), the actual news content was pretty small.

Bill Wine does movie reviews and the weekend box office. Rasa Kaye does the Philly fun guide. Hadas Kuznits does What's Cooking. Brandon Brooks does Rewind. Dr. Brian McDonough does the medical report. Dr. Marciene Mattleman does the education report. Bex from 96.5 does the entertainment minute. Lauren Lipton does Positively Philadelphia. The great Jay Lloyd does Getaway. Chuck Devine does ski reports in the winter. Fran Novelli used to do garden reports, they don't air anymore. I think that's about it.

Last edited:
Bill Wine does movie reviews and the weekend box office. Rasa Kaye does the Philly fun guide. Hadas Kuznits does What's Cooking. Brandon Brooks does Rewind. Dr. Brian McDonough does the medical report. Dr. Marciene Mattleman does the education report. Bex from 96.5 does the entertainment minute. Lauren Lipton does Positively Philadelphia. The great Jay Lloyd does Getaway. Chuck Devine does ski reports in the winter. Fran Novelli used to do garden reports, they don't air anymore. I think that's about it.

Thanks for the info.

Just curious: If you are wondering, why don't you listen yourself and find out instead of posting online?

But yes, there are a lot of features. They don't just run features. They sell them. That explains all the features.

KYW is also the place where shelved TV personalities go to retire. Larry Kane. Bill Campbell. Herb Clarke (who also did gardening reports). Gives you an idea whom they are targeting. In another thread, a poster claimed advertisers think spoken word is the way to reach seniors. Even so, the ever declining audience numbers suggest there are a lot of people who "haven't listened to them for years."

KYW is also the place where shelved TV personalities go to retire. Larry Kane. Bill Campbell. Herb Clarke (who also did gardening reports). Gives you an idea whom they are targeting.

No, it does not give me an idea of whom they are targeting. Sounds like they are hiring true professionals who know what they are doing which fits with the tradition of KYW.

No, it does not give me an idea of whom they are targeting. Sounds like they are hiring true professionals who know what they are doing which fits with the tradition of KYW.

True professionals in the twilight of their careers. None of them are doing these "features" on TV, not even KYW-TV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom