• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

End of an era as last VCR maker ends production

My grandfather actually had a great big reel-to-reel machine. I think the brand name was Wollensak.

I remember being surprised when this woman performed a truly awful song on "Real people" around 1980. They listed the ways you could buy her music, and one was reel-to-reel. That may have been in the pre-CD era, but I didn't know anyone actually listened to music that way.

My grandfather actually had a great big reel-to-reel machine. I think the brand name was Wollensak.

My father, who's now 94, had one of those, too. I used to use it to "play radio," doing DJ patter between songs on WRKO or WMEX, then putting the mic up to the radio speaker when the next song started. Those Wollensaks also were standard A/V equipment in the public school system I was in in grade school, as were boxy Motorola black-and-white TVs, and the squat, gray projectors (never saw the brand) used for showing film strips.

I remember being surprised when this woman performed a truly awful song on "Real people" around 1980. They listed the ways you could buy her music, and one was reel-to-reel. That may have been in the pre-CD era, but I didn't know anyone actually listened to music that way.

RtR was quite the seller in the early to mid-60's. I still have my Sony TC500R and about a dozen original recorded albums. Quality was very good but, of course, mounting and tape handling was not easy for many people. I have since transcribed the originals to CD but since the old Sony hasn't yet kicked the bucket I keep it too. Hell, it might outlast me. Bought it at the navy exchange in Yokosuka in 1965.

My father, who's now 94, had one of those, too. I used to use it to "play radio," doing DJ patter between songs on WRKO or WMEX, then putting the mic up to the radio speaker when the next song started. Those Wollensaks also were standard A/V equipment in the public school system I was in in grade school, as were boxy Motorola black-and-white TVs, and the squat, gray projectors (never saw the brand) used for showing film strips.

I actually had to use the standard model "Wally" at my first radio job at WCUY (FM) in Cleveland. We played commercials off of 3" reels. Fortunately, there were very few of them, so only had to use the machine once an hour opr so. Eventually, they handed down a used Maggie from the AM and it would generally break the tape on rewind.

The sad thing is that the Sony 777 S I had at home was a better tape machine than either the Wollensak or the Magnecorder. It went on to be our main production recorder at my first stations and lasted nearly a decade more doing that!

Last edited:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/retailers/iconic-vidiots-video-store-closes-its-doors-now-39614

Update Vidiots closes its doors. Wow that is shocking that video outlets that carry VHS and DVD's still existed in 2017 apparently. I thought video/DVD stores died out as soon as Youtube, Hulu, Netflix and others started gaining audiences, Phones, Tablets, internet service improvements and Internet connected TV's started issuing apps for TV/Movie on demand.

Don't forget that high-speed Internet is not universal in all the country. In many rural areas, and among minorities and, in general, among the lowest income groups either the cost or the availability of streaming does not make the things you mention possible.

We still have Family Video locations in this part of the country.
No VHS, but apparently enough people still rent DVD's to keep them going.

I still have two RtR machines. The Sony I bought at a Navy PX in Yokosuka, Japan in 1965. It was the last tube model they made and it has worked to perfection with only one re-alignment of the heads since. The other is a backup 7" reel model. Solid state.

Back in the 60's they used to sell "good" music on reels. Classical and show tunes all album length. The reel recorders didn't have the wow and flutter problems that 8-tracks and cassettes had.

The problem with reel recorders now is parts are disappearing. Things like belts and pulleys are no longer in production and you usually wind up having to do your own manufacturing. Still got the original tubes in the Sony though and so far none of the caps have gone bad. Remarkable!

We still have Family Video locations in this part of the country.
No VHS, but apparently enough people still rent DVD's to keep them going.

According to their website at https://www.familyvideo.com/ they still have over 700 locations.

There is still a Family Video store in Herrin, IL (Marion/Carbondale area), where my wife's sister lives. The only ones close to me in West TN are in Paris and Savannah.

I think another factor in the demise of video stores is Redbox. There are plenty of them around.

Last edited:

Don't forget that high-speed Internet is not universal in all the country. In many rural areas, and among minorities and, in general, among the lowest income groups either the cost or the availability of streaming does not make the things you mention possible.
Plus the Internet can go out, as I have discovered twice in the past week.

According to their website at https://www.familyvideo.com/ they still have over 700 locations.

There is still a Family Video store in Herrin, IL (Marion/Carbondale area), where my wife's sister lives. The only ones close to me in West TN are in Paris and Savannah.

I think another factor in the demise of video stores is Redbox. There are plenty of them around.

Well I still see some RedBox DVD/Game disks rental machines in front of Supermarkets, and 7-11's around the Bay Area and Sacramento areas buts that's being replaced by booths with AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile in my area selling tablets and phones in my area with pre paid cards at the supermarket these days.

https://www.familyvideo.com/storelocator/

All of the family video stores are located in the MidWest of the USA and Canada.

I ordered a dual VHS-DVD player the day they announced they were ending production.
Have it in mothballs for the day my current VHS machines give up the ghost.

I just made a Custom Stereo Cassette with the Personics system.

Wow that's True AT&T still offers dial up internet for $28.00.

https://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10974
Sorry to go off topic, but my phone company has DSL for about $15. During the past two weeks, every time I would complain, I would be told my Internet is this very slow speed, a fraction of 1MB. And I would have to tell them that has been working for me for nine years. True, my latest computer has been very temperamental, though after a software upgrade it was like I had fast Internet.

When my phone company couldn't seem to fix the problem (and twice a technician showed me how the Internet worked on his laptop, so it must be my computer), I called Time Warner. My phone bill has gone up from $60 to $70 to $80 in recent years and it was beginning to look like they would never fix the problem. So my one reason for loyalty, dependable cheap Internet access, was no longer a consideration. The Time Warner person was very enthusiastic. A great salesperson. And he was shocked at what my phone company was doing and said go with us and you'll never have Internet problems again. He was able to give me a deal where I could get a phone and 50 MB because of a recent upgrade in my area for $15 less than I was paying. I did have to talk him down. I also got a very basic cell phone with a cheap plan because I was warned if the power goes out I don't have a phone. I knew this would be true if the cable or Internet went out. I didn't even break even, but a cell phone can be useful when traveling.

My phone company, informed that I needed to make sure I would still have my email address so I could still use it for official business until I got through moving everything over to the email address I assumed Time Warner would give me, was desperate not to lose me. My father had service with their predecessor for about 10 years, after which I took over after my father moved, and I've been with the predecessor and the giant company that took them over for a total of nearly 20 years. They could give me 6 MB not for an additional $25 a month (to go up to $45 a month after a year), but for $18 less than I was currently paying. Every time I had asked about an upgrade because of frustration with my virus protection tech support or some other problem related to slow Internet, no one could get me a better deal than that. The minute I decide to leave, they can give me a deal.

I cancelled Time Warner and was told they could give me an EVEN BETTER deal! Sorry, but with all the complications associated with that, I'd rather stick with my phone company. I do have a decision to make a year from now, though, because that deal was only promised for a year. Meanwhile, I had to pay extra for their premium tech support and they still couldn't do anything. So after the time my upgrade was supposed to take place, I was still having many of the same difficulties. But one thing I was told to do which didn't work when I was on the phone (meaning I would have to take the computer to a repair place and that would cost even more) did work when I was off the phone. Considering it took hours, during which time I could do other stuff, it was just as well. The computer was even worse afterward simply because everything had been cleared out, but some sites eventually worked.

Today, everything is great! A few problems but I can blame Microsoft Edge because these problems happen at libraries too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom