• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio in Fresno

What stations if any might you listen to on HD Radio? Are there good compelling formats to even make it a reasonable listen? For instance KBOS hd-2 plays Jim Bean Radio, a classic/active rock and KFBT 103.7 hd-2 plays a modern/active rock format. What format should the few stations that broadcast in HD play? Which ones have the best coverage in Fresno/Clovis to make a format change a success?

Bueller, Bueller. . . Bueller.

If you broadcast the sound of a tree falling in the forest on a kazillion watt hd-2 radio station does it still make a sound?

Is there a good up to date list of the FM stations - in the valley or Fresno or Bakersfield area that are operating HD channels ?

You could try hdradio.com, but sometimes they leave the info slightly outdated or wrong formats listed. The best way to know who is broadcasting and in what format is to actually use one of those radios. Newer vehicles often come with them as well as after market head units. In Fresno its all the FM iHEART radio FM's and NPR. Bakersfield I have only noticed NPR.

If there is ever a station that seems like it should be received easily but for some reason all you hear is noise and fuzz on your radio, its most likely a adjacent station that is broadcasting in HD Radio.

Because of how the Hybrid HD Radio tech works, a station that is say broadcasting on 103.7 FM, will also be broadcasting on 103.5 AND 103.9 but at reduced power anywhere between 1% to 10% of the main stations broadcast power.

So if there is your favorite low power or distant signal that just doesnt seem to come in like it should, look at its closest HD Radio neighbor.

Is there a good up to date list of the FM stations - in the valley or Fresno or Bakersfield area that are operating HD channels ?

With a few exceptions, this appears to be fairly up to date in my market.

http://hdradio.com/stations

You can also use the HDRadio Guide App on iOS and Android.

Last edited:
If there is ever a station that seems like it should be received easily but for some reason all you hear is noise and fuzz on your radio, its most likely a adjacent station that is broadcasting in HD Radio.

Because of how the Hybrid HD Radio tech works, a station that is say broadcasting on 103.7 FM, will also be broadcasting on 103.5 AND 103.9 but at reduced power anywhere between 1% to 10% of the main stations broadcast power.

So if there is your favorite low power or distant signal that just doesnt seem to come in like it should, look at its closest HD Radio neighbor.

HD Radio is dead, I don't see Car companies using HD in their vehicles, It's more Blue Tooth to play your own music and Internet sites like Tunein Radio, Iheart and CBSRadio.com, one of my favorites for Classic Hits 101.1 KRTH and Jack FM 93.1, and many stations that play more songs than KJFX, Does anybody have an HD receiver home or car? Probably NOT, 103.7 KFBT HD should turn it off so 103.9 KDJK can be heard better, they play a better mix of Classic Rock than The Fox, same with KIOO 99.7. Fresno lacks the Classic Hit Format,KKBZ stopped playing most 80s rock bands Like Def Leppard and Whitesnake in favor for current rock, which I really don't have a problem with that, they took over the old KRZR format, 104.1 KFRR could have done that 4 years ago, KFRR has been behind KRZR in ratings during the whole 20 years and now they are behind The Blaze in ratings, with that, they , they okay off the soap box now back to real rock this time JACK-93.7FM Sacramento for now, next maybe Z-Rock KRQR 106.7 from Chico, or KTHU Classic Rock 100.7 From Corning.

Last edited:
HD Radio is dead, I don't see Car companies using HD in their vehicles, I

HD is being used for data delivery, particularly traffic info. The car companies are coming on board in greater and greater numbers.

HD Radio is dead, I don't see Car companies using HD in their vehicles, It's more Blue Tooth to play your own music and Internet sites like Tunein Radio, Iheart and CBSRadio.com, one of my favorites for Classic Hits 101.1 KRTH and Jack FM 93.1, and many stations that play more songs than KJFX, Does anybody have an HD receiver home or car? Probably NOT, 103.7 KFBT HD should turn it off so 103.9 KDJK can be heard better, they play a better mix of Classic Rock than The Fox, same with KIOO 99.7. Fresno lacks the Classic Hit Format,KKBZ stopped playing most 80s rock bands Like Def Leppard and Whitesnake in favor for current rock, which I really don't have a problem with that, they took over the old KRZR format, 104.1 KFRR could have done that 4 years ago, KFRR has been behind KRZR in ratings during the whole 20 years and now they are behind The Blaze in ratings, with that, they , they okay off the soap box now back to real rock this time JACK-93.7FM Sacramento for now, next maybe Z-Rock KRQR 106.7 from Chico, or KTHU Classic Rock 100.7 From Corning.

HD receiver home = No
HD receiver home = Yes

After a few years of having "HD" in my car, its nice but the content just isn't very compelling. Most of the HD only stations in my market don't pay much attention to content. It's either piped in from some other service or just scheduled as an after thought.

Personally, I'd rather have a few of the reach-in's I lost when HD came on the air and mucked up the first adjacent.

VERY well said!!!!

HD radio is dead, both AM and FM, and so is satellite radio.

None of the statistics show that to be true.

Satellite is approaching 30,000,000 subscriptions and essentially every new car sold has it preinstalled.

HD is at or very near critical mass in new car installs, and there is a growing use of HD for data such as traffic updates in real time. HD subchannels form the basis for hundreds and hundreds of HD & FM translator combos, many getting very good ratings in markets like Houston, Chicago and San Antonio. HD is also home to quite a few unique program services, such as Desi radio formats in a dozen or more markets.

David is absolutely correct. Satellite radio (SiriusXM) is probably the easiest to track growth and actual listeners because their model is subscription based and therefore actual radios activated shows how many people listen, which is the highest in their history. HD Radio is factory installed on more vehicles now than any other time and most after market stereo's now come with it built in.

How "dead" will HD be on AM in 15-20 years?

Because HD has one standard, and there are so many AM HD capable car radios out there (and one manufacturer is producing and starting to sell some new HD AM-FM portables that are affordable), is there a possibility that HD will keep the remaining AM stations alive when many other stations start leaving the air?

How "dead" will HD be on AM in 15-20 years?

Because HD has one standard, and there are so many AM HD capable car radios out there (and one manufacturer is producing and starting to sell some new HD AM-FM portables that are affordable), is there a possibility that HD will keep the remaining AM stations alive when many other stations start leaving the air?

Good points, I agree, HD is our future, not like AM stereo in the late 80s- early 90s, I remember GM had those in some of their models, that went really well didn't it.

Good points, I agree, HD is our future, not like AM stereo in the late 80s- early 90s, I remember GM had those in some of their models, that went really well didn't it.

I'd like to see a "digital only" section of the current AM band with a range of low band stations left analog for emergency services. Similar to the Digital TV repacking project, stations NOT wishing to convert to digital could remain (or move) to small portion of the band that was left analog while the vast majority of stations would move to the all digital band.

AM-HD all digital has shown to be much more resilient and robust than the current hybrid system and can operate at much lower power levels than the main analog signal. Would be interesting to test one of the valley AM's with this system to see how it performs, ideally on a music station like KYNO, KVMI or KBRE.

AM Digital won't work anyways

For one inerferece from Storms, Light Bulbs, TV's

The AM Band wasn't made for Digital

Any band can accommodate digital transmissions.

Another nation, one with about triple the population of the US, is deploying digital only AM nationwide, using DRM as the standard.

AM digital, like FM digital, is relatively immune to static, flourescents and other RFI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom