• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

End of the road for BC's All Traffic Radio...

Rob Piotrowski

Star Participant
The Burns Bog fire took out AM 730's transmitter on Sunday. The station is now on a HD3 channel while engineers figure out their next move (and the fire is out - which according to crews will take at least a week).

The Burns Bog fire took out AM 730's transmitter on Sunday. The station is now on a HD3 channel while engineers figure out their next move (and the fire is out - which according to crews will take at least a week).

I saw that on video. They just replaced that whole system a little over a decade ago

It'll be back on AM 730 eventually. I was listening to it online last night.

If even one of their towers is standing, they should be able to get back on the air quite quickly.

There are only two all traffic stations, as far as I know,both are in Canada and both are on 730, Vancouver and Montreal.The Montreal station is French language. I'm surprised an all traffic station never succeeded in LA.They tried it years ago on 1650.

TSL must be the shortest of any format.

There are only two all traffic stations, as far as I know,both are in Canada and both are on 730, Vancouver and Montreal.The Montreal station is French language. I'm surprised an all traffic station never succeeded in LA.They tried it years ago on 1650.

TSL must be the shortest of any format.

Other than CHU's (and WWV's in the US) all-time format. Of course, that's unrated shortwave.

This is a good opportunity to determine how many people still will tune in even when the station is no longer available on a standard analog radio.

The station is back on using a low powered emergency transmitter downtown. No word on power level or how far it gets out.

400 watts from the TD Tower in Vancouver. From what I heard, hardly making it into Victoria.

The temporary transmitter is running at 400 watts. Enough to cover most of the metro with a usable signal. Even makes it to Victoria, but very weak there.

The original post's title is not right. No one said this is the end of the road for CHMJ. I know it was a play on the All-Traffic format. But clearly the station is still operating and will likely return to full power, directional 50,000 watts.

I was unaware of 1650 in LA trying All-Traffic. But 930 KHJ did try a mostly-traffic format in its waning days as a music station. It aired traffic every ten minutes (in an era when All-News stations didn't do that). The rest of the time was Top 40 music. So the format was a traffic report, a few spots, then a song or two. And that format was repeated six times an hour, 24 hours a day.

The original post's title is not right. No one said this is the end of the road for CHMJ. I know it was a play on the All-Traffic format. But clearly the station is still operating and will likely return to full power, directional 50,000 watts.

I was unaware of 1650 in LA trying All-Traffic. But 930 KHJ did try a mostly-traffic format in its waning days as a music station. It aired traffic every ten minutes (in an era when All-News stations didn't do that). The rest of the time was Top 40 music. So the format was a traffic report, a few spots, then a song or two. And that format was repeated six times an hour, 24 hours a day.

The website seems to be up and running just fine. Is Vancouver's all traffic station (AM 730) back to normal now?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom