• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVIL

Let's not forget that CBS has gone down the CHR route before with the rhythmic-leaning Hot 100.3 and Wild 100.3. And although it was a competitor to Kiss FM for a good five years before Jack came along, it only took a small chunk of Kiss' audience and ratings were so abysmal that even rimshot stations were beating Hot/Wild. It would be interesting to see, now that several years have passed by and the CHR audience and playlist is different than 10 years ago, how KVIL is going to fare in the CHR route.

With the dance format here, it will more likely not happen again at least with this market. The sad thing with DFW radio is, after looking at other markets with the use of HD2 channels and its translators, that DFW could have a large variety of formats to be used (one of them being dance/EDM, as well as classic country, comedy, deep-cut classic hits, etc.). What disappoints me about the translators in this market is every translator is either that Spanish christian station or KSKY. But when I look at Austin or San Antonio (maybe Houston), they have a better variety with their translators.

It will be interesting to see how KVIL will do against Kiss FM. Kiss FM is certainly not as strong as it was just a few years back. Remember the morning show is not what it was back then. Music had changed and programming has evolved as has our world in general since the other competitors tried to take some wind out of Kiss FM's sails. Kiss FM has legacy and that is tough to beat but over time it can be done with a superior plan.

Dallas has always complained the radio offerings are not 'expansive' enough. It is the syndrome of the grass is always greener. When people in San Antonio and Austin complained about their stations and how great Dallas radio was I asked if they were kidding, pointing out stations I wished I could hear on Dallas radio. Dance/EDM and classic country are frequently poor choices in the biggest markets where reaching enough of the right demographic to make the money end work is essential. It seems the dance formats do pretty lousy except in a couple of markets (and I mean bad enough to be several below the top of choices when a format change comes around) and classic country usually skews too old. For the dance format, folks seem to be fine with the format, just not on the radio as a 24/7 format.

For the dance format, folks seem to be fine with the format, just not on the radio as a 24/7 format.

I agree, and what usually happens is there are specialty dance shows that air in appropriate day parts. For me, I don't want to hear dance at 7AM. But 7PM is OK

Isn't it odd that in Houston, AC-formatted KODA is often #1. But in Dallas, KVIL couldn't stay AC. It moved first to Hot AC and now to Top 40. Dallas is the biggest U.S. market with no AC station.

Isn't it odd that in Houston, AC-formatted KODA is often #1. But in Dallas, KVIL couldn't stay AC. It moved first to Hot AC and now to Top 40. Dallas is the biggest U.S. market with no AC station.

Dallas has an AC via KLAK on 97.5, doesn't cover the whole market but covers exactly where it counts.
That being said, what works in one Market doesn't work in others. Think Houston could take the level of Rock radio Dallas has? Or Classic Hits?

Dallas has an AC via KLAK on 97.5, doesn't cover the whole market but covers exactly where it counts.
That being said, what works in one Market doesn't work in others. Think Houston could take the level of Rock radio Dallas has? Or Classic Hits?

No, it really doesn't. KLAK barely covers 10% of the DFW market population with a "service contour" (60 dBu) and only puts a city-grade (70) over rural northeastern Collin County including a portion of McKinney. The 70 dBu encompasses the studio by maybe a couple hundred feet at most.

No, it really doesn't. KLAK barely covers 10% of the DFW market population with a "service contour" (60 dBu) and only puts a city-grade (70) over rural northeastern Collin County including a portion of McKinney. The 70 dBu encompasses the studio by maybe a couple hundred feet at most.

I used to be able to hear them in my part of northwest Dallas county. Now a KDKR translator in Dallas and an LPFM Spanish language religious station pretty much wipe out KLAK.

Just my observations. To me, it's difficult to compare Dallas to Houston or even San Antonio or Austin when it comes to the types and kinds of radio. Dallas is infiltrated from every direction. Dallas itself is limited. Fort Worth kills the west side. North, east and south is loaded with all of the rim shots - Denton, Sherman, Dennison, etc. whereas Houston is open on three sides and there next door neighbor isn't another city (i.e. Fort Worth), it's the Gulf of Mexico. Regarding, San Antonio or Austin - it's about geography, it's wide open. Dallas actually suffers as compared to any, other major Texas city when it comes to radio. It's not a death sentence, but there are problems here. Yes we have demographics, but they are different. Fort Worth is actually better off - the west is wide open, but alas, there is no one out there. Dallas actually suffers.

Just my observations. To me, it's difficult to compare Dallas to Houston or even San Antonio or Austin when it comes to the types and kinds of radio. Dallas is infiltrated from every direction. Dallas itself is limited. Fort Worth kills the west side. North, east and south is loaded with all of the rim shots - Denton, Sherman, Dennison, etc. whereas Houston is open on three sides and there next door neighbor isn't another city (i.e. Fort Worth), it's the Gulf of Mexico. Regarding, San Antonio or Austin - it's about geography, it's wide open. Dallas actually suffers as compared to any, other major Texas city when it comes to radio. It's not a death sentence, but there are problems here. Yes we have demographics, but they are different. Fort Worth is actually better off - the west is wide open, but alas, there is no one out there. Dallas actually suffers.

That's why I began to hate DFW radio after the huge mess they are. All the good stations are either too weak to listen to, covered by a translator, or owned by someone too corporate that they killed the station making it painful to listen to. These days, I just stream radio stations off my phone (mostly stations outside this market) and use my bluetooth on my car radio.

Actually, for FM, San Antonio and Austin are less open than Dallas. Dallas and Ft. Worth are close enough together that most FM's that serve one can also serve the other. As you're probably aware, many of the Dallas and Ft. Worth are co-located on the same towers in Cedar Hill. So, you get more FM's serving both.

San Antonio and Austin, on the other hand, are close enough to block move-ins to each other but far enough apart to not serve both well. Also, the open space around the two isn't particularly helpful (unless you happen to live in the open space in Hays or Comal County) because there were fewer communities nearby to license radio stations. That means fewer potential move-ins.

San Antonio and Austin (especially San Antonio) also have their share of rimshots that don't cover their entire market. There may be more in total in Dallas, but, in comparison to the total number of stations, rimshots make up a similar percentage. Nine of the commercial FM's in San Antonio (out of less than 25) are rimshots or move-ins, and only 2 cover the entire market with another that covers the majority of it. Austin is a similar story.

That is exactly where the audience for AC is living too, all the soccer moms and such are moving in droves to Collin County. McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Anna, Wylie, Murphy, Fairview, ect. That being said, KLAK doesn't even pretend to be a Dallas station and keeps its focus on Collin County as well as Texoma. (Maybe KHYI could learn from that...)

Actually, for FM, San Antonio and Austin are less open than Dallas. Dallas and Ft. Worth are close enough together that most FM's that serve one can also serve the other. As you're probably aware, many of the Dallas and Ft. Worth are co-located on the same towers in Cedar Hill. So, you get more FM's serving both.

San Antonio and Austin, on the other hand, are close enough to block move-ins to each other but far enough apart to not serve both well. Also, the open space around the two isn't particularly helpful (unless you happen to live in the open space in Hays or Comal County) because there were fewer communities nearby to license radio stations. That means fewer potential move-ins.

San Antonio and Austin (especially San Antonio) also have their share of rimshots that don't cover their entire market. There may be more in total in Dallas, but, in comparison to the total number of stations, rimshots make up a similar percentage. Nine of the commercial FM's in San Antonio (out of less than 25) are rimshots or move-ins, and only 2 cover the entire market with another that covers the majority of it. Austin is a similar story.

Not to mention the ridge around Canyon Lake area that block the two areas from each other....103.5 with its transmitter at Buda does a decent job into San Antonio...but its a rare one...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom