• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVIL

Interesting that the push isn't for more personality or more new music discovery. It really speaks to the driving forces in the marketplace now.

Their new website is "MoreHits1037.com" but I've yet to hear the station call themselves "More Hits 103.7" on air. Am I missing something?! Also missing are the legendary call letters. 😕

I saw a billboard on my way home after work, at the Tollway and Bush Turnpike interchange, of KVIL but only saying "103.7" and "More Hits, Less Commercials." It was strange not seeing the calls on the logo.

The biggest hit on all of this is the "HIT" the Jocks take. No one, mostly management cares anymore....

Not sure what you mean. They kept the entire staff except one. And that job has been posted. What we've learned in the PPM era is that jocks need to be smart, witty, lively, and very efficient. Plus work in a multi-platform environment. That shouldn't be too hard to do. Management's job is to make sure everyone gets paid. The jocks are supposed to entertain. Two very different jobs.

I guess the branding idea is the station itself is just called "103.7" with the slogan being "More Hits, Less Commercials". Kinda stupid but whatever works I guess.

Not sure what you mean. They kept the entire staff except one. And that job has been posted. What we've learned in the PPM era is that jocks need to be smart, witty, lively, and very efficient. Plus work in a multi-platform environment. That shouldn't be too hard to do. Management's job is to make sure everyone gets paid. The jocks are supposed to entertain. Two very different jobs.

Check the "on air" hours these folks are putting in. Regular five and six hour a day air shifts begin to go past good productive limits, not to mention other "off air" duties. All this seems desperate to me.

Definitely a full blown CHR now. Super tight playlist with powers being spun very heavily. Sounds absolutely nothing like the KVIL of old (i.e. the Mainstream AC era). Station is gunning straight for 106.1.

Hot 93.3 is dead in the water. Cumulus ought to just unload the damn station. Or use it to return WBAP to the analog FM dial. Would a soft-leaning Adult Contemporary be a viable option? My gut tells me "no," but it's a format the market is missing. My gut tells me "no" because the type of listeners such a format would normally attract are probably already very loyal to the Christian AC outlets in town.

According to "Jim Rose Remembers Radio Issue #1554".....

"SCOTTY AND BRET EXIT DALLAS FOR ATLANTA Scotty Kay and Bret Mega who are morning early risers on Cumulus Media KLIF FM (Hot 93.3) Dallas-Fort Worth TX since August 2016 may return home to Atlanta, GA. If you remember, Scotty and Bret previously are the morning team on iHeartMedia Top 40 WWPW FM (Power 96.1) Atlanta, GA until February 2016."

I would like to see another rock station on 93.3, this time a new rock/alternative station to give a run for Edge and Eagle. Cumulus has brought back 99X in Atlanta, and launched alternative formats in Salt Lake City and recently Kansas City. Their playlist consist of newer alternative since the last decade and not too 90's focused like our two iHeart rock stations blind us away with. Would like to hear a decent alternative format similar to 101X here in DFW.

I would like to see another rock station on 93.3, this time a new rock/alternative station to give a run for Edge and Eagle. Cumulus has brought back 99X in Atlanta, and launched alternative formats in Salt Lake City and recently Kansas City. Their playlist consist of newer alternative since the last decade and not too 90's focused like our two iHeart rock stations blind us away with. Would like to hear a decent alternative format similar to 101X here in DFW.

How about a real Dance station again like KDL was? Put it on 93.3, 103.7... I could care less but it would be better than what we have now... You can turn on 93.3, 102.9, 103.7 and sometimes even 102.1 and hear the same songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSvCxwtIES0&list=PL9563880BDCACB8D4&index=3

How about a real Dance station again like KDL was?

Why would a dance station specifically work in Dallas when the format is not on or successful anywhere else in the US?

Actually KVIL going CHR is a wise thing. KISS has dominated DFW for years, decades much like KVIL in a different time. Going after the top dog is a good angle. If you carve off a piece of their audience you change the dynamics in the market and maybe the ad agency buying decisions. That part you sliced off the top dog does what to your company's portfolio in the market, especially from the advertising aspect...can you control more of the revenue pie?

Do I miss the old KVIL under Ron Chapman? You bet. It still ranks at the top for creative programming in my book, comparable to Mona Lisa in the art world to me. Chapman and the staff were so much in tune to the mindset of their audience it almost seemed the music was secondary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom