• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Public Radio Crisis

As the article says, they've really had a problem developing new program ideas. There are a lot of creative people in public radio, but it's been hard to launch entertaining or informative shows that stations are willing to run. That's the brick wall. A few years ago, NPR launched a few new shows with the goal of reaching younger audiences, and a lot of public radio stations refused to carry them. The advantage of podcasts is they don't require affiliates to carry them. But the disadvantage is podcasts draw people away from the core product. The good news is the magazines, All things Considered and Morning Edition, have weathered numerous host changes. They still go strong regardless of who's driving the bus. But they need some new shows to replace the ones going away. And they need them pretty quick.

Also you have some local Public Radio News/Talk stations like KQED

http://blogs.kqed.org/pressroom/truth-be-told-podcast/ also trying to please the target audience and target donors with fresh programming too. I think it comes down to what the distributor like PRI, APM, NPR, BBC and PRX think about a certain podcast. The reason is that a certain show has to attract the highest number of stations possible to get the maximum number of donor sent to PRI, APM, PRX and NPr.

Based on what I see on these boards, I don't buy the view that podcasting mainly appeals to young listeners. I see lots of 60-plus people here preaching about them

Based on what I see on these boards, I don't buy the view that podcasting mainly appeals to young listeners. I see lots of 60-plus people here preaching about them

How many young listeners use these boards? I have a feeling there are many more 55+ than 12-24 posting, judging from the number of posts on older-skewing musical formats and the negative attitudes expressed toward today's popular music and popular artists. Maybe there are plenty of young listeners who love podcasts but aren't posting here because few in their age group post on any old-style message board sites like this.

Last edited:
Maybe there are plenty of young listeners who love podcasts but aren't posting here because few in their age group post on any old-style message board sites like this.

Maybe there are, but my point is that podcasting isn't going to change the demographics of public radio. The old people who listen on air will also listen online and via podcasts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom