• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLM

I've noticed that the station, as of late, has not embraced their coverage area in full. Areas like Rhode Island, Bristol County and Cape Cod are being completely ignored, while areas not covered in the 60 DbU area like Stoneham, and even Beverly, though the latter can probably be reached fine due to water, are mentioned in weather updates, yet not touching the Cape and largely downplaying not only Taunton, New Bedford and other Providence area municipalities that are within that 54 DbU that Boston itself is barely in! Also, in the legal ID, they say, under the jingle, "buried" WPLM (AM and) FM Plymouth, before at normal volume, Boston, the city where I can get static on it and other rim shots of similar distance, and neither of them mention it in their legal IDs, unless you count The River which has a translator and boosters. A few years ago they mentioned a city of similar coverage to Boston (Providence) in their ID and Plymouth was not buried. There are radio stations in Providence and on the Cape that have advertisers, why can't WPLM buy from those markets and Boston equally. Answers anyone?

Does PLM go after advertising from all those North of Boston towns it reaches over water? Surprised to hear it's mentioning Beverly in its weather.

Areas like Rhode Island, Bristol County and Cape Cod are being completely ignored, while areas not covered in the 60 DbU area like Stoneham, and even Beverly, though the latter can probably be reached fine due to water, are mentioned in weather updates, yet not touching the Cape and largely downplaying not only Taunton, New Bedford and other Providence area municipalities that are within that 54 DbU that Boston itself is barely in! Also, in the legal ID, they say, under the jingle, "buried" WPLM (AM and) FM Plymouth, before at normal volume, Boston, the city where I can get static on it and other rim shots of similar distance, and neither of them mention it in their legal IDs, unless you count The River which has a translator and boosters.

Tom,

I'm neither an English major nor an English instructor, but I seem to be having an inordinate amount of difficulty parsing the two run-on sentences above. (Believe it or not, there are only two sentences in the above quote.)

Would you be so kind as to rewrite the above so that those of us who are a bit dense (like myself) can better understand it?

Thank you.

Tom,

I'm neither an English major nor an English instructor, but I seem to be having an inordinate amount of difficulty parsing the two run-on sentences above. (Believe it or not, there are only two sentences in the above quote.)

Would you be so kind as to rewrite the above so that those of us who are a bit dense (like myself) can better understand it?

Thank you.

Really spelling professor.

Is anyone else surprised they still have the AM station simulcasting the FM? I wonder if anyone actually listens to it on AM. I think the AM signal actually comes in better on the Cape than the FM.

What I mean is that WPLM seems to care way more for the Boston area than anything, even though it comes in quite clearly throughout most, if not all, of southeastern Massachusetts and the western half of the Cape. Advertisers may be considered a problem, but the Cape, Providence and even New Bedford- Fall River have radio stations that serve the area well with advertisers. The buried WPLM-FM Plymouth is quite humiliating, as then they say Boston at a normal volume level. A few years ago they said WPLM-FM Plymouth Boston Providence, which was quite fine compared to a buried ID that seems like they don't seem to take into account that there are listeners in Bristol County, Lower Cape, Rhode Island etc. that aren't really being marketed to. I haven't heard a weather report that says anything related to the Cape, but yet proceeds to put in towns that are as far away as Willmington in recent memory. They put in Dartmouth once, and the rest of the reports don't mention any towns south of Plymouth. I hope you understand now.

Wasn't the AM doing Money Matters or
something?
If you go by their cities of license,WEEI-FM, WCRB,and WXRV are all proudly serving the Merrimack Valley...no,their target is all of Boston metro. Or so they want you to believe.

When WKLB was on 99.5 the TOH legal ID quickly and quietly said Lowell-Boston with the first word almost sounding like "oh".
But know what you mean...need to accent those other areas too.

All towns in the coverage area are equally represented in weather updates. The word Plymouth is not buried in the jingle id, but clearly used in the dry legal id.

There are numerous callers on the air daily, that mention where they are from giving a good representation of the signal coverage.

All I know is that they hired a new GSM from outside the region. The new guy is trying to expand thier potential advertiser base any way he can. They have also been in a somewhat difficult position. Are they a Boston station? Are they a Cape Cod station. Are they a South Shore station. WATD has done a great job over the years of positioning themselves as the South Shore station.

The AM does not come in better on the Cape than the FM. The AM is gone before hitting the bridge. The FM is strong - at least on the upper cape.

I do think Plymouth is a big enough town with enough tourism that the AM could at least do a locally focused morning news/talk type show but they just broker the financial show most of the day and simulcast the FM the rest of the time.

Targeting the Cape with the FM would not make a lot of sense since the Cape has many strong stations already that have a high amount of local content.

I've noticed that the station, as of late, has not embraced their coverage area in full. Areas like Rhode Island, Bristol County and Cape Cod are being completely ignored, while areas not covered in the 60 DbU area like Stoneham, and even Beverly, though the latter can probably be reached fine due to water, are mentioned in weather updates, yet not touching the Cape and largely downplaying not only Taunton, New Bedford and other Providence area municipalities that are within that 54 DbU that Boston itself is barely in! Also, in the legal ID, they say, under the jingle, "buried" WPLM (AM and) FM Plymouth, before at normal volume, Boston, the city where I can get static on it and other rim shots of similar distance, and neither of them mention it in their legal IDs, unless you count The River which has a translator and boosters. A few years ago they mentioned a city of similar coverage to Boston (Providence) in their ID and Plymouth was not buried. There are radio stations in Providence and on the Cape that have advertisers, why can't WPLM buy from those markets and Boston equally. Answers anyone?

What reason did Willie Sutton give for robbing banks? "Because that's where the money is."

(I)n the legal ID, they say, under the jingle, "buried" WPLM (AM and) FM Plymouth, before at normal volume, Boston

Er, I donʼt know what time you were listening, but I happened to hear their TOH 11am ID yesterday morning:

“WPLM and WPLM-FM, Plymouth-Boston”

Perfectly even and consistent, both in volume and emphasis. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom