• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May 2016 ratings

KMAZ not listed or are lower power stations not counted??

You can only be listed if you encode.

I don't know if they encode or not.

Besides encoding, they have to be subscribed to be listed in the public releases.

I have not yet seen an LP that subscribed. Why would they?

KMAZ-LP is not encoded.

There are only three LP stations that are both encoded and have registered in any of the 48 PPM markets. (None are subscribers.)

WOLD-LP shows up in the Middlesex, NJ book, WLIX-LP in the Nassau/Suffolk, NY book and KDRP-LP in the Austin book.

Last edited:
KMAZ-LP is not encoded.

There are only three LP stations that are both encoded and have registered in any of the 48 PPM markets. (None are subscribers.)

WOLD-LP shows up in the Middlesex, NJ book, WLIX-LP in the Nassau/Suffolk, NY book and KDRP-LP in the Austin book.

What is interesting is that rented HD channels that use the HD facility to justify a translator will, unless paid subscribers, be delisted from both the public reports and the subscriber data starting in August.

I wonder how many LP stations have encoders.

Not a whole lot of surprises here. A slow, steady increase in ratings of KUHA - death watch, disgruntled listeners making a protest, or people tuning in expecting NGEN?

KROI continues a slow decline, that is becoming statistically significant. One has to wonder - is KROI making a Return On Investment?

I see both Urbans are tied again this month. Wonder who will come out on top next month.

Now, what's going on with Hot??? I see they've been stuck in the low 3's for a while now, while KRBE has been a full share ahead of them. Plus, a few longtime DJs seemed to have disappeared from the station lately. First the afternoon guy, and now it seems Carmen is MIA... No mention of her on air lately, and haven't seen anything about her on the station website. I wonder what's the reason behind the latest changes... is it a CBS thing, due to rumors of future changes at the company? Or a format thing, as other CBS CHRs nationwide haven't been doing that great either? Or something else?

I see both Urbans are tied again this month. Wonder who will come out on top next month.

Now, what's going on with Hot??? I see they've been stuck in the low 3's for a while now, while KRBE has been a full share ahead of them. Plus, a few longtime DJs seemed to have disappeared from the station lately. First the afternoon guy, and now it seems Carmen is MIA... No mention of her on air lately, and haven't seen anything about her on the station website. I wonder what's the reason behind the latest changes... is it a CBS thing, due to rumors of future changes at the company? Or a format thing, as other CBS CHRs nationwide haven't been doing that great either? Or something else?

Here's what's going on: The way ratings are being handled for streams makes an apples to apples comparison impossible. It's more like apples to ducks.

KRBE stopped running inserted commercials on its stream sometime last year, effectively making it a 100% simulcast of the KRBE air signal. KRBE requested Total Line Reporting and now Nielsen includes any streaming listenership in the audience estimates for the FM signal. If a station inserts separate spots into its stream, it is not eligible to do this.

KRBE has one of the few streams that has cracked the minimum threshold and made semi-regular appearances in the Houston ratings, when its numbers weren't combined with the FM numbers. The Buzz has pulled off the same feat a few times. I don't remember any other stations doing it.

Interestingly, KBXX is doing the same thing with their stream. All streaming listening is credited to the FM signal, so it's entirely possible that KQBT actually has more listening occurring at this point. If someone with a PPM device listens to the KBXX stream, KBXX gets ratings credit. If someone with a PPM device listens to the KQBT stream, it's pretty much like the listening never occurred. For example, someone could listen to the KQBT stream all day, and it would appear for ratings purposes that the only time they listened was driving to and from work.

All of the Cox stations, all of the Radio One stations, KRBE and KSBJ are doing this. CBS, iHeart and Univision are not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom