• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wtsh 107.1 cp

RadioRome

New Participating Member
Any news on the tower move for WTSH 107.1 and the transmitter on Stone Mountain. Looks like the tower move would be a downgrade of coverage.

WTSH is not looking to move to Stone Mountain, the 107.1 translator has a CP to move to the Mountain. WTSH does have a CP to move south closer to Rockmart. The move to Stone Mountain is designed to reduce the interference the translator causes with the main signal.

The translator is not as much of an issue as it was when Cox tried to do Alternative on 107.1. That was what I called the "Tail wagging the dog station." The most important signal to Cox was the translator for its Atlanta coverage. Now that this is a 107.1/106.1 country simulcast, Cox looks at it as a regional signal with some coverage in Atlanta. Move (to Stone Mountain) or no move, Cox knows the translator cannot compete with The Bull and Kicks.

Honestly, is there even any point in the translator anymore? As said, no way is it competing with Kicks and Bull. It made sense when they tried the Alt, but not now.

Honestly, is there even any point in the translator anymore? As said, no way is it competing with Kicks and Bull. It made sense when they tried the Alt, but not now.

NOTHING makes SENSE with the PD's in this market..........

I think they will not move the tower (keep it in Kingston) and turn off the low powered translator in Atlanta. With the translator off it comes in great on the west and northwest side of Atlanta, even downtown. Also up GA 400 too.

Yeah - Kill the translator. Makes for more problems than it's worth. Wonder if have two large signals with the same music is all that smart though. Not sure. It's covering an area where country music is popular. Guess I don't know enough about country music to know how well it sounds compared to the Bull and kicks.

I think they will not move the tower (keep it in Kingston) and turn off the low powered translator in Atlanta. With the translator off it comes in great on the west and northwest side of Atlanta, even downtown. Also up GA 400 too.

Wonder if have two large signals with the same music is all that smart though. Not sure. It's covering an area where country music is popular.

I am not sure how much "overlap-age" of 60 and 70 DB signals but IMHO the demographics of the area would favor a flavor of Country. I am not sure of the number of folks in the "usable" area but I would bet it is enough that a sharp sales person(s) can make a good living.

I am not sure how much "overlap-age" of 60 and 70 DB signals but IMHO the demographics of the area would favor a flavor of Country. I am not sure of the number of folks in the "usable" area but I would bet it is enough that a sharp sales person(s) can make a good living.

Looks like the 60dB of WTSH is as follows:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WTSH-FM

Encompasses Lake Weiss, LaFayette, Chatsworth, Dalton, Jasper, Marietta, Villa Rica, and Bremen. Just misses ATL, the GA 400 corridor, and Ellijay.

For WNGC the 60dB is:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WNGC-FM

Encompasses the 400 corridor from Roswell north, Jasper, Blairsville, Hiawassee, Clayton, Walhalla SC, Lake Hartwell, Watkinsville, Monroe, and most of Gwinnett. Just misses Ellijay, Blue Ridge, the NC mountains, Clemson, Anderson, Lake Russell, the I-20 corridor from ATL to Lake Oconee, Marietta, and Kennesaw.

Not really any 60dB overlap except for I-575 between Canton and Jasper. Both stations just miss ITP. Pretty much covers all of GA north of I-20, except ITP and south of a line from Lake Oconee to Lake Russell.

You can sell Rome, the GA mountains, Canton, Dalton, Gainesville/Hall, Athens, Toccoa, Dawsonville, Gwinnett, Marietta/Cobb, and Calhoun.

I see the CP to move the 107.1 translator to Stone Mountain expires in October and the CP to move the main signal closer to Rockmart expires in 2018, Has anybody heard any news about what Cox is planning to do?

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WTSH-FM

Encompasses Lake Weiss, LaFayette, Chatsworth, Dalton, Jasper, Marietta, Villa Rica, and Bremen. Just misses ATL, the GA 400 corridor, and Ellijay.

For WNGC the 60dB is:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WNGC-FM

Encompasses the 400 corridor from Roswell north, Jasper, Blairsville, Hiawassee, Clayton, Walhalla SC, Lake Hartwell, Watkinsville, Monroe, and most of Gwinnett. Just misses Ellijay, Blue Ridge, the NC mountains, Clemson, Anderson, Lake Russell, the I-20 corridor from ATL to Lake Oconee, Marietta, and Kennesaw.

Not really any 60dB overlap except for I-575 between Canton and Jasper. Both stations just miss ITP. Pretty much covers all of GA north of I-20, except ITP and south of a line from Lake Oconee to Lake Russell.

You can sell Rome, the GA mountains, Canton, Dalton, Gainesville/Hall, Athens, Toccoa, Dawsonville, Gwinnett, Marietta/Cobb, and Calhoun.

One thing to remember...the FCC contours are only estimates and are based on 50% of the listeners getting that signal intensity 50% of the time. It also assumes a receive antenna 30 feet in the air.

That 250 watt translator downtown may very well have a higher pop count than the big signal.

I wonder how much effort has been put into trying to make these two signals play nice with each other. There is technology that "steers" the interference zone(s) with limited results by synchronizing the carriers. You can also play with the antennae to create complimentary lobes and nulls in the signal. There is a limit as to how much time/money Cox will throw at this project...things don't always work out like the theoretical calculations say they will.

A bigger and better question is will the donald allow 95.5 to move intown...

Last edited:

95% of the in-home and at-work listening occurs inside the 65 dbu contour, so looking at the 60 is not an indication of where much of the listening will occur.

The CP to move 107.1 WTSH tower closer to Rockmart is set to expire on Friday. Does anybody know what Woman's World is planning to do?

Maybe the tower rent is cheaper?

Construction permits are good for three years. I bet the CP at the new site was about to expire so they cancelled the CP just before it expired then refiled for a new one to preserve the ability to potentially move to that site. It should be noted that the FCC is about to make it more difficult to shut down FM translators which might create interference to FM station signals. By keeping this CP alive the station is precluding the possibility of a FM translator using the 107.1 channel some distance away.

Construction permits are good for three years. I bet the CP at the new site was about to expire so they cancelled the CP just before it expired then refiled for a new one to preserve the ability to potentially move to that site. It should be noted that the FCC is about to make it more difficult to shut down FM translators which might create interference to FM station signals. By keeping this CP alive the station is precluding the possibility of a FM translator using the 107.1 channel some distance away.

Would these new FCC rules on translators have kept 99X on the air?

I doubt it. Driving in on I 20 there was interference not that far from the Class A's city of license. I think an antenna with a very sharp null west is the answer. I really wonder how they the CP that past the FCC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom