• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More Sports For Birmingham

Maybe an FM translator. Can't see any of the big FM's going the sports route since WZRR has gone all talk, other than maybe WYDE-FM.

Thank you brain cells for this one. Isn't there a 99.1 FM Translator, that's not on right now? Could this be the station, the other site spoke of?

To Mr. Zach, Amen brother! Sports is something B-ham has enough of already.

Dan <><

Last edited:
This was one of the translators that Summit Media got a hold of to simulcast WENN. I don't think it's been on the air for about a year. When it was on the air, its signal wasn't that receivable south of downtown.

After the dumpster fire that was WZNN, I don't see Summit getting back into the sports business. WJOX is just that untouchable.

As of this afternoon 99.1 was broadcasting the same Regional Mexican music that is broadcast on 98.3 here in Birmingham, which is a translator of WAYE-1220. I didn't stay tuned in long enough to catch the TOH ID.

As of this afternoon 99.1 was broadcasting the same Regional Mexican music that is broadcast on 98.3 here in Birmingham, which is a translator of WAYE-1220. I didn't stay tuned in long enough to catch the TOH ID.

So, do you think this a temporary move until a permanent sports format is unveiled on 99.1 or is the entire 991thegame.com website merely a ruse? I haven't been able to hear that translator in the last couple of days. Is it off the air again? Several months ago when it was actually on the air, I had been able to receive it here in South Shelby county.

Last edited:
I caught the TOH ID this afternoon. It only mentioned WAYE and the 98.3 translator.

I haven't heard this translator since it was reported back on the air. I was in Vestavia yesterday, and it was nowhere to be found. Might be off the air yet again...

Sheesh, this thing changes more than Taylor Swift's relationship status.

smiley-laughing004.gif

Anyone else notice that the proposed new sports outlet for Birmingham (if it truly exists) and WDGM share the same frequency of 99.1 AND the call sign, WDGM spells "Game"...and the domain that was registered for the Birmingham station is 991thegame.com? Just wondering if that entire domain registration is some sort of ruse. Unless... 99.1 in Birmingham is going to go to sports at some point and will be using the WDGM calls (on the station to be rebroadcast...WENN maybe?) if/when 99.1 in Tuscaloosa lets the WDGM calls go.

Update: Just came across this a few minutes ago thanks to Google. Turns out there is a Twitter page for 99.1 the Game, based in Birmingham.

https://twitter.com/991thegame

How the heck can a Twitter handle for a station that doesn't even exist (as far as I know) have 50 followers already? Sheesh.

And the website for 99.1 The Game has been suspended because of some issue. Hah.

I would hate to think the historic WENN calls would disappear because of some suit from out of town who doesn't get the heritage of those calls, but who knows what corporate radio would do. Obviously they're not beyond trying sports when Birmingham has too much already.

Twitter is apparently an easy course to go to fool folks, though. Remember 99.5 The South had a Twitter feed instead of Facebook or a website… and it was a teaser.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom