• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

some DFW-far north texas radio news for you

ABMedia1

New Participating Member
here is some DFW and far north texas radio news for you

93.1 KMKT Bells-Sherman-Denison retools format and drops best of new and gold slogan and eliminated their 70's and 80's country music from airplay in favour of 90's 2k and Today Country

1580 KGAF Gainesville granted boost in power from 250 watts to 1200 watts by approval of the FCC as apart of AM Radio Revitalization Act.

1500 KJIM Sherman-Denison new translator for 101.3 fm also based in Sherman is debuting soon according to website also as apart of the AM Radio Revitalization Act.

92.3 Sherman, New FM Translator Signs on in Sherman relaying KWEZ based in Caddo-Caney, Oklahoma

thats all the info i have right now, but i thought you might want to know

That explains a LOT of the calls we have been getting lately about Katy Country. That is a BIG deal for KGAF, I think I'll have a new AM preset when they power up! I bet Steve is one happy camper. Makes me wonder if any other AMs in the region can get a boost.
The KJIM translator should be on air sometime in August according to the STA application.

i have been picking KGAF up better in sherman, so i think they are already on their new power output,

on KMKT i didn't think they needed to retool their format, i think it was stupid they did that, and i will tell you why, i have a pet peeve, and that is always been if it aint broke don't fix it or break it. lately i have seen a lot of radio stations either retooling or changing formats all together when it aint broke or when their number 1, the number 1 radio station in san diego, which was a soft ac was number 1 in the market which was rare but they were doing really good when they retooled when it honestly didnt need to be, KVIL same thing, they had higher ratings then they did when they retooled in 2013, and i saw this with the AC/Hot AC's and any other format that plays pop music, now im starting to see this on country music stations and i know the state of advertising they want 25-54, that is the key demo and people get older i get that we all do, but if your doing a format that might not be key format today but if you have high ratings and if your revenue is decent, you honestly don't need to change anything... radio programmer i think they ought to take some humblers on their format and have the breathing room to stretch out, but at the same time you got to go by what your success dictates, not do something drastic and disappoint thousands of listeners wether you are in a country format an ac format an AAA format or whatever format. and i think thats what happened at KMKT and not just KMKT but at KVIL at KIFM and many other radio stations i read about on the internet on a daily basis who do these drastic decisions and it might not be best things to do for a radio station... they did something drastic they retooled when they honestly didn't needed to retool and they disappointed a lot of listeners.

well that was deep

Thank you for the update. I like both KGAF and KJIM. I live in Plano and can get them, if somewhat faintly. However, KJIM comes in better than KGAF, so a boost for KGAF should put them on equal footing for me.

That's great news for KGAF and KJIM. I've been able to catch bits and pieces of KGAF's night skywave recently here in Kilgore. I wonder if a translator is also in the works for KGAF?

you can pick it up in kilgore?!? wowza, it never said anything about a translator for KGAF, just a boost in both daytime and nighttime and making their nighttime signal non directional instead of directional to be better picked up.

because their old directional nighttime signal aimed it up toward duncan and pauls valley and the arbuckle mountains, and not so less much south, and definitely east, im not sure about west but, now with the new signal i can pick it up at my house day and night so i like that...

now for kjim i'd say the end of august is when it will be on.

you can pick it up in kilgore?!? wowza, it never said anything about a translator for KGAF, just a boost in both daytime and nighttime and making their nighttime signal non directional instead of directional to be better picked up.

Its not a strong skywave, it fades in and out with other weak stations at 1580 (maybe KXZZ out of Lake Charles). And it doesn't help that 100K boarder blowtorch XERF next door splatters into it .

In another Texoma Update, KFYN-AM has "flipped" to 80s/90s Country mixed with some Red Dirt. Previously they had been airing an older skewing Classic Country format.

Last edited:
92.3 has been broadcasting a signal in Sherman for more than a month but it's just dead air.

i dont know how long that translator can stay on with dead air.

Is the parent station still on the air? Probably no one there knows the translator is in on-but-silent mode. Which says a lot about how engaged their audience in Sherman-Denison is.

well I'm headed to durant on sunday, so ill tune in to the main station up there and see if they are on...

btw, they are on 90.1 in Caney from a 65 foot tower with 2500 watts ERP, they don't reach past Calera, since their a spanish catholic relaying radio ebenezer, i wonder if they are a true translator as in they are receiving that station OTA, or if they are a satellator.

Last edited:
I bet there is nothing at the transmitter site except the transmitter. I don't think the owner has a sat channel so if anything it receives OTA or internet, if there is any audio source at all.

They just said the translator call sign and 92.3 Sherman Texas in spanish, so i think they are testing

Man getting KZPS in Texoma is going to be even rougher now. 92.7 out of Paris already makes it hard enough as is.

KGAF was granted a license to cover in November 2016 for a signal upgrade. Day is now 1200 watts non-directional and nights is now 280 non-directional. This replaces the previous license of 250 watts non-D day and 250 direction 2 tower array at night which was created in 1985 after 1580 being a daytimer at 250 non - directional since October 1947.
By the way, October 1, 1947 is the 70th anniversary of KGAF 1580 being on the air. (CP granted April 1947, programming commenced October 1, 1947, license to cover granted November 1947)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom