• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM All Digital Test Results

Bingo! And why I believe the Commission would probably allow stations that are willing to take the gamble of going all digital, to do so.

The Commission doesn't care, as proven by their AM revitalization plan. It does not include all digital.

The Commission doesn't care, as proven by their AM revitalization plan. It does not include all digital.

So are you saying that a station could go ahead and do it without FCC approval, or that the FCC isn't in favor of any AM stations going all digital?

I believe BigA's opinion is that the FCC would not permit AM stations to go all digital. Anything to do with the "Antique Modulation" band may be a political hot potato considering there are bigger fish to fry like the TV channel re-pack looming. AM-anything would not even be a blip on the FCC radar.

So why would they even care?
If anyone wants to try it, have fun.

I believe BigA's opinion is that the FCC would not permit AM stations to go all digital.

Correct. They have not, and they will not. They are on record opposing all digital AM. It was not an option in their latest AM revitalization plan.

Correct. They have not, and they will not. They are on record opposing all digital AM. It was not an option in their latest AM revitalization plan.

Yes, talk about killing the AM band, all digital would completely do it in, there are so few IBOC receivers around now and who is going to go out and buy a new receiver for that, especially considering half baked IBOC's track record? What is amazing to me is that they keep trying, gotta give them an A for tenacity though. OTA digital radio is not working anywhere in the world including DAB which is slowly slipping into the tank, compare CD's rise to digital radio's slow death.

OTA digital radio is not working anywhere in the world including DAB which is slowly slipping into the tank,
Just curious- by your criteria, what do you consider when something 'works'?

compare CD's rise to digital radio's slow death.

What? That makes no sense. CD popularity was pretty short, considering other portable storage over the years. Sales for CD's peaked in the mid-to late 80's. Once MP3's were available via download over the Internet, interest in CD's for the most part, went away in the 90's. So given the facts, what does that have to do with digital radio?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom