commercial breaks - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: commercial breaks

Hot Hits debuted on KITS in 1983, so they may not have had many advertisers yet. The idea of launching a format commercial free or with fewer spots isn't new.

You might be right about KITS, especially since they'd run the forecast four times an hour, likely out of where breaks were supposed to be. That would still be 8 minutes though, instead of the 12 typically heard today. If my analysis of the clock on WBBM is right, they would usually run 6, though two of their breaks could have been 3 minutes, I don't have an aircheck with spots in it to determine that for sure.

5) Radio values have decreased in recent years.
    6) As pointed out elsewhere, number of commercial minutes per hour have gone DOWN
    7) Advertisers don't want to be number 5 in a stopset
    KSWW (AC) "Sunny" 102.1-101.1 -- KJET (Hot AC) "The Jet" 105.7-93.1 -- KANY (Hot Country) "Bigfoot" 107.3 -- KBKW (NewsTalk) "The Talk of Grays Harbor" 1450-100.5 -- KSWW HD-2 (Classic Rock) "The Quake" 103.9 -- KSWW HD-3 "Timber Country" 94.7<br />Keeping radio locally-owned on the Washington Coast.<br />Still using a microphone - 6:10-7:00 am - www.kbkw.com

It also seems odd, at least to me, that separation isn't observed to the extent it once was. I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be to buy a spot for my business, only to have a competitor's spot play in the same set, if not just before or after mine. It seems to happen a lot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounded Grid View Post
    It also seems odd, at least to me, that separation isn't observed to the extent it once was. I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be to buy a spot for my business, only to have a competitor's spot play in the same set, if not just before or after mine. It seems to happen a lot these days.
    Typically, that doesn't happen to local advertisers. The exception might be car dealers in December. What sometimes happens is a station runs some syndicated national spots, and they may not take as much care in scheduling those. But if the in-house salesman sold the spot, he will protect his client. A lot of this is handled in the contract. I also offered clients the opportunity to be the first in a cluster.

I've heard quite a few direct competitors within the same stop set. I will clarify: I don't think Taco Bell and Outback Steakhouse are direct competitors. In fact, I've heard as many as 3 car dealers in a stop set with two back to back. I have heard up to 3 fast food restaurants in a 5 spot stop set.

While I haven't jocked a daily shift in almost 20 years, we always had a no competitors in a stop set policy. If you messed up, you could bet the hotline would ring before the stop set ended. I always thought separation of competitors was a big advantage for radio. In fact I had a Chevy dealer that bought lots of radio because he felt a big newspaper ad was ineffective because no matter what, a competitor shared the page, either the same page or the page next to it.

As I recall, we had a limit of 2 units per hour for a business. The one exception at one station was a fast food restaurant that bought 4 units an hour Midnight to 3 am in a college town to cater to late night studying and the bars closing down. One thing I will say about that college town station, they ran at least 8 units an hour overnights.

One issue we have is when an advertiser buys four spots in an hour that has 3 breaks, thus requiring us to run the spot twice within a cluster. Not much we can do about that except let them know.

That 'twice in a stop set' isn't too bad. I've heard that many times and especially for the casual listener, it sure does make the mind think it had just played as you listen attentively to see if it was the same spot.

I recall one major market station did that frequently. Then again, they were running one stop set an hour with fairly frequent inserts of a ticking clock with an announcement saying you're 'X' minutes away from a 50 minute music sweep.

I always hated 4 breaks an hour and if just felt really awkward to go recorded station promo (usually our biggest promotion or contest), spot, jingle/liner back in to music at about :07 or :08 past the hour. You have to jump back to pre-PPM days for that memory and back when you were hitting buttons on cart machines.

Quote Originally Posted by b-turner View Post
    ...I always hated 4 breaks an hour...
    Then you'd have been horrified to work at some of the smaller markets I grew through. The most memorable one had a Christmas season log that frequently ran 21-minute commercial loads. Add national sports and news feeds, local news and weather and the bare minimum of friendly DJ banter, and you had time for about 4 songs an hour. It was terrible radio, but I don't recall many complaints. Everyone else was as busy as we were.
    Last edited by Grounded Grid; 07-06-2016 at 03:41 PM.

I don't notice it on radio as much as TV, but the same spot playing twice in a break is kind of annoying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast