Why does Hot AC seem to refuse to move forward?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Hot AC seem to refuse to move forward?

Why does Hot AC seem to refuse to move forward?

With Classic Hits centered in the 80s now, why does Hot AC refuse to get out of that decade? KPLZ plays a few 80s here and there, but limits them to Throwback Thursday or during the all request lunch hour or by request throughout the day, but none in regular rotation. The other Hot AC in my market, KBKS, which recently shifted from CHR to Hot AC, plays one or two 80s songs an hour. KPLZ has no other sister stations to worry about, but KBKS really? KBKS is owned by iHeart Media, which also owns the Classic Hits station. Imo leave the 80s there and move the Hot AC forward. Also I believe that, no matter what, the Classic Hits and the Hot AC should never overlap, and even 6 years ago they seemed too. I remember sitting at home one day about this time of year flipping stations around lunch time and I thought KPLZ had gone Classic Hits because they were running the 80s lunch. Really? Ok enough rambling, just had to get that off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    With Classic Hits centered in the 80s now, why does Hot AC refuse to get out of that decade? KPLZ plays a few 80s here and there, but limits them to Throwback Thursday or during the all request lunch hour or by request throughout the day, but none in regular rotation. The other Hot AC in my market, KBKS, which recently shifted from CHR to Hot AC, plays one or two 80s songs an hour. KPLZ has no other sister stations to worry about, but KBKS really? KBKS is owned by iHeart Media, which also owns the Classic Hits station. Imo leave the 80s there and move the Hot AC forward. Also I believe that, no matter what, the Classic Hits and the Hot AC should never overlap, and even 6 years ago they seemed too. I remember sitting at home one day about this time of year flipping stations around lunch time and I thought KPLZ had gone Classic Hits because they were running the 80s lunch. Really? Ok enough rambling, just had to get that off my back.
    I don't think our Hot AC even plays the 90s anymore. I'm sure they don't play anything from the 80s!

My local Hot AC plays very little pre-2010 music. I think they'll play ONE 90s song on Thursdays during the 5PM rush hour, but absolutely no 80s.

It's interesting that some Hot ACs are still stuck in the 80s/90s while others (like mine) are barely distinguishable from the mainstream CHRs.

I don't understand the question. You're upset that Hot A/C plays music that's too old, or doesn't play music that's old?
    Basically, it appeals to a 40 year old woman. If you're not in that category, your opinion doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by chrocket87 View Post
    My local Hot AC plays very little pre-2010 music. I think they'll play ONE 90s song on Thursdays during the 5PM rush hour, but absolutely no 80s.

It's interesting that some Hot ACs are still stuck in the 80s/90s while others (like mine) are barely distinguishable from the mainstream CHRs.

It is that the format, at least in some markets, plays music that's too old. I've always viewed the format as sort of a bridge between CHR and AC. I'd think a listener, once they outgrow CHR, would shift to the Hot AC, then to the AC, then to the Classic Hits, so why do some Hot ACs insist on overlapping the Classic Hits station?

It is that the format, at least in some markets, plays music that's too old. I've always viewed the format as sort of a bridge between CHR and AC. I'd think a listener, once they outgrow CHR, would shift to the Hot AC, then to the AC, then to the Classic Hits, so why do some Hot ACs insist on overlapping the Classic Hits station?
    I kind of like them playing a tiny bit of Gen X music. My Hot AC--99.7 The Point-- isn't interesting enough to listen to much...too much "worn out" stuff.

You can view the playlist here: kzpt.tunegenie.com/onair and see what you think, bobdavcav.

Though the station does well, I think the only reason is because we have an incredibly bad mainstream AC station in town and CHR that reaches the whole city (Mix 93.3). 95.7 the Vibe is pretty good, and its a Cumulus CHR at that, but it doesn't reach the whole town and therefore its ratings aren't as good.

Here in Knoxville, B97.5 played more classic hits before we got a classic hits in the market. They used to do 80s weekends but dropped that. The only remaining part of that is playing Tom Kent on Saturday night

Ok maybe I over-generalized. KPLZ used to do an 80s lunch and a 90s at 5, but they've dropped both of those. It still baffles me though why KBKS is playing 80s. It still sounds incredibly strange to me to hear 80s and for that matter 90s on 106.1 MHz when for most of my life it's been a CHR. Ok maybe it played some of those songs in its early days, but I wouldn't remember that because I didn't listen back then. Regarding KZPT not a bad station.

It still sounds incredibly strange to me to hear 80s and for that matter 90s on 106.1 MHz when for most of my life it's been a CHR.

Radio 101: Programming decisions are made to attract a certain audience for advertising sales. That's why certain songs are played, that's why a format is done. Not for aesthetic reasons. So it's obvious the station feels it has a certain heritage audience from the 80s and 90s, and can sell that audience to advertisers. The ratings look healthy to me. I see no reason why they should change what they're doing.

But yes, typically a Hot AC station is playing more currents than Gold. A mainstream AC is more likely to have more gold.

Sure, I've understood something along those lines for a while now. As far as audience from the 80s and 90s, 90s yes, 80s not so much. This was a country station until 1996, then went Rhythmic AC, shifting to what I understand was Modern AC-leaning CHR by 1997. A lot of the songs added to the playlist in the shift to Hot AC are songs that do fit the format that were played during the station's CHR days. In fact, at first it sounded to me like all they did was go back into the archive and pull out everything the station played as far back as 2008 and added it to the playlist again. To be honest that station just sounds screwed up to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast