• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Lion of the Tribe of Judah Files for License to Cover for KLJJ-LP Spring

What sort of programming, Purple? Roaring sounds and/or Indian tribal music?

What sort of programming, Purple? Roaring sounds and/or Indian tribal music?

It's pretty weak, almost to the point of nonexistent. They are talking, but I can not really understand what's being said. It actually doesn't sound like English nor Spanish being spoken, both of which I'd be able to readily comprehend. I'm not sure exactly what it is, Mouse, but at the earlier check it was some form of spoken word programming and just now it was the same. A normal setup would never even know it was there from where I am in the 4-4, but it must be KLJJ-LP because the only other possibilities here are KROX Buda, WYNK Baton Rouge, and "the Northside pirate " operating on 268. I can certainly confirm it's none of them. Antenna is just a hair to the west of due north, and this is a signal that matches no other I've ever received on this particular channel.

Edit to add: if I had to wager a guess, given the name of the ministry and from where the name comes from within the Bible, I suspect its programming is geared towards end time prophecy. I won't know for sure until I go back to the Woodlands for work purposes. That may be awhile, and thus I had hoped someone else would chime in, who is near the actual coverage area.

I can tell you this is not an actual Church operating this station, instead being listed to a house address located in Conroe. It is also licensed for a time share, but who's the other applicant using the remaining 12 hours each day?

Last edited:
I was staying in The Woodlands and 101.5 boomed in. I was right by Research Forest; on my Walkman, 101.5 was solid from 100.9 almost to 102.1. It overtook KLOL completely.

Out in my truck the signal was audible for a few miles. It was Religious programming on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Don't know if that clears things up or puts more "static on the radio".

Dlf

At a late Thursday evening check at my Cy-Fair location I'm hearing dead air with a fair signal on 101.5. Stereo indicator is on, but no programming.

This will clash with KOER when both stations are on the air. The KLJJ transmitter is near I-45 and Research Forest in The Woodlands, about 17 miles from the proposed KOER site.

KLJJ website is www.kljj.org

Need to keep an ear out for the launch of KHSX out of east Houston, also on 101.5.

The time share was when they were MX with Tomball on 95.1 They are now singleton on 101.5, They use a four bay crossed V / BKG77 antenna at 100 ft.

Ah, that solves what I was wondering. Thanks for the information, First Fone.

Someone needs to have a talk to them about the FCC Underwriting Rules. Heard them today. I know Underwriting Rules quite well and let's just say, they need to read over them.

Someone needs to have a talk to them about the FCC Underwriting Rules. Heard them today. I know Underwriting Rules quite well and let's just say, they need to read over them.

I have advised them of this problem and sent them articles on FCC actions, and large fines that have been issued, in my opinion they are way over the line in all areas of underwriting, They are nice folks just going through a learning curve, and given the speed of the FCC and the Austin pirate that has been on the air seemingly un molested for several years, they have a little time ?

KLJJ seems to be a mix of rather bland Contemporary Christian Music and what are essentially infomercials for GMD Electronics (a DirecTV and home theater business) which calls itself "a major sponsor of KLJJ." The GMD owner appears to be the announcer voice heard on the station. Perhaps that business had a lot to do with the actual setup of the station's equipment.

Previous posters are correct; they are pushing the underwriting rules. The info about GMD Electronics is repeated constantly.

At my Cy-Fair location the signal is marginal but listenable. On a portable radio inside the house, I can get a clean signal if I adjust the whip antenna. In the car the signal is rather choppy, but still listenable. Hwy 290 between The Beltway and 1960 appears to be the extreme southern limit of a usable signal.

There is going to be a major clash in far north Harris County when co-channel KOER hits the air, along the lines of the KCYB-KYBY conflict. In fact, it would appear that KLJJ would be easily receivable at the proposed KOER transmitter site. And we also have the future KHSX in the mix on 101.5. But I hardy ever hear anything else on 101.5 these days; KROX hasn't been a regular since they went to their current transmitter configuration, and WYNK is only there when major tropo to the east is kicking up. Of course, KSTB is dead and gone. I've checked 101.5 for any trace of LPFMs KXAQ in Liberty and KZCL in Cleveland, but no luck.

No indication when KOER will hit the air; they are still appealing for donations. Looks like they have around $10,000 to go before hitting their launch goal.

Yes, those 'infomercials' you describe are what I heard. Sure, they might be nice folks running the station but there is a certain level of responsibility in being granted a license. Underwriting Rules are part of that responsibility like all the other FCC regulations stations must follow. A mere search of Public Radio Underwriting offers almost hundreds of sites with clear and concise explanations along with examples, even if you don't read the FCC Underwriting Rules itself. In fact most Public stations describe in detail what can and cannot be said. To not have a clue, seemingly, gives the impression it is not by ignorance. I suspect the sponsor and founder of the station might be the same person.

As for KOER, I just have a gut feeling they might not get on the air. Where they would be located, they would be hard pressed to find a tower to lease and even a tougher time in trying to erect one. From looking how they are boxed in, there have very little wiggle room. The area is highly developed and I think some homeowner associations might do some squawking if a tower was going up. I have checked their website here and there, each time with a differing amount needed from just a few more low dollar donations needed to hundreds of much larger dollar amount donations needed. I get the impression they are trying out pitches to find one that really inspires folks to donate. I am not suggesting anything shady, just an entity struggling to find a way to make it happen. When the crowd funding pitch produced $0, it made me suspect they lack the following to supply the dollars needed. And it suggested the applicant lacks the dollars to do it without outside help.

You can hear those 'infomercials' KLJJ-LP was airing about every song or two on Memorial Day. Here are two You Tube videos of a recording made from the car. By the way, it has a stereo signal in Cypress...seems amazing to me being so distant (20+ miles as the crow flies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaUvoLVqBtc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRyck-UFLI&feature=youtu.be

Decide for yourself if there are comparative statements, qualitative statements, calls to action, and meet the suggested 20 second length the FCC suggests. You can see the time on the radio as well...the 3pm hour when these aired.

Last edited:
KOER no longer has access to either the tower or studio location listed on their CP, they seem to be more interested in collecting donations than getting the station on the air, if you look at their web site it looks a little like a ponza scheme, they have been collecting money for over two and a half years.

KOER no longer has access to either the tower or studio location listed on their CP, they seem to be more interested in collecting donations than getting the station on the air, if you look at their web site it looks a little like a ponza scheme, they have been collecting money for over two and a half years.

However, they do seem to have a studio in place, complete with KOER logos and branding: http://rhemagospelradio.com/fm_studio.html

I don't see this as a Ponzi scheme. It appears they want to launch debt-free (what a concept in our credit pig society.) Rhema Gospel Radio has been online for many years.

And if they don't build out and don't return the donations what is it called ? They have grand plans which do not seem to be realistic, which is why they need so much money, But grand plans entice folks to donate more money ? " Ticket to Heaven " Dire Straits

There is going to be a major clash in far north Harris County when co-channel KOER hits the air, along the lines of the KCYB-KYBY conflict. In fact, it would appear that KLJJ would be easily receivable at the proposed KOER transmitter site. And we also have the future KHSX in the mix on 101.5. But I hardy ever hear anything else on 101.5 these days; KROX hasn't been a regular since they went to their current transmitter configuration, and WYNK is only there when major tropo kicking up. Of course, KSTB is dead and gone. I've checked 101.5 for any trace of LPFMs KXAQ in Liberty and KZCL in Cleveland, but no luck.

No indication when KOER will hit the air; they are still appealing for donations. Looks like they have around $10,000 to go before hitting their launch goal.

Don't forget to keep an ear out for Houston Christian Broadcasters' 101-5 K268BW translator. It's one that I've never heard actually light up in its original home up in Brenham, but will likely soon come to life from just south of the Loop, giving KHCB's Radio Amistad an FM home.

KHSX-LP... we'll see if it actually comes to fruition, but time's a tick tick tickin' away on it.

KLJJ is coming in clearly in stereo at about 8 miles out on 105 heading to Navasota still running the 'infomercials' separated by a song here or there. By comparison KYBY can't be heard. Considering the Austin 100,000 watt on the same frequency, it would seem to suggest KLJJ might be operating at above their licensed power to reach 30 miles or more in stereo.

KLJJ is coming in clearly in stereo at about 8 miles out on 105 heading to Navasota still running the 'infomercials' separated by a song here or there. By comparison KYBY can't be heard. Considering the Austin 100,000 watt on the same frequency, it would seem to suggest KLJJ might be operating at above their licensed power to reach 30 miles or more in stereo.

Even though KROX-FM gets out really well, it doesn't run 100kW. Licensed for 12.5kW, with a CP to increase to 86kW from a lower elevation. It'll come into San Antonio much stronger, but I don't know how much easier it'll be to catch KROX-FM over here in Houston once the new signal is actually on the air. If KLJJ-LP is running more power than it should be, it's doing so directionally. I'm around 20 miles south of KLJJ-LP's transmit site, and it's quite a chore to pick it up. Of course, KHSX-LP will be the dominant signal on 268 here, if it ever comes to fruition.

I don't think directional is the case...clear to the southwest side and the northeast side in stereo at 25 to 30 miles from tower. Other LPFM stations aren't getting this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom