• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Talking House ground question

A question that's likely to fall in the "stupid" column, but I'm gonna take my chances.............

I recently got hold of one of the later Talking House transmitters (the TH 5 model). I knew going in that it would be a crapshoot, but I seemed to have lucked out on getting a "good" one. Sound quality is surprisingly crisp and full, too. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ahhhh, but there's always a catch, right? AC hum. The several ground loops have been 100% nipped with isolator patch cords. The unit's internal monitor speaker is free of hum. I don't hear hum in the car .... but it's pervasive on all the AM receivers inside the house.

I still have a coax cable in this upstairs room, leading through the window and down to metal post-mounted DirecTV dish (no longer active). Last night I tried hooking up that coax to the TH box, switching it to "outside." The signal was then fuzzy on my component receiver, and decent on a GE Superadio III in the room, but the hum all but disappeared. I know that is outside the Part 15 parameters, since it's longer than 3 meters (it's about 3 times that). But it led me to wondering something else.

Since that dish is on a metal post, then it's grounded. What came to mind was an idea of plugging the TH wall-wart into a 3-to-2 prong adapter, diverting the ground via the coax to the old DirecTV dish mount. The unit would be set to inside, transmitting from the attached 3-meter wire.

The stupid question: are there any dangers I'm not thinking about, and/or is this going to be a complete waste of time? Failing this, I wonder what other options would work to nix the AC hum?

Any insight is most appreciated.

--Russell

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom