• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kars4Kids problems nationally.

On WBZ Radio, Kars4Kids steers donors in the wrong direction.

Those are paid ads. A station can not selectively turn down business in a field where they accept other comparable advertising.

As long as Kars4Kids is operating legally the ads will likely continue.

It's an advertising conundrum, an advertising creative problem for developing radio ads with an awful jingle that works. Advertising's creative artists could revamp awful ads to be more appreciable. In this case, examples for a revamp have failed so far.

It's an advertising conundrum, an advertising creative problem for developing radio ads with an awful jingle that works. Advertising's creative artists could revamp awful ads to be more appreciable. In this case, examples for a revamp have failed so far.

Remember "Ring around the Collar"?

An ad can be very clever (where's the beef?) and have a tagline that everybody knows/remembers.
If it does not help sell the product, it goes away. Even if it is highly annoying - it can be very effective.
I am not in the market to change car insurance, but if I were, don't you think I would check out GEICO
(an acronym, by the way) only because I have seen that damn lizard pitch it so many times!

The ads are deceptive in that it is not clear that the donations are being solicited for religious education. But this is not news, nor is it only WBZ running the ads. They are certainly legal, if ethically questionable.

How could they make the ads even more annoying?
They could have Boston's Bulldozer sing along with them, that's how.

How about "Mazola says Think before you eat?" That very stern opening made me burst into tears in the mid-70s. It all stemmed from being chewed out by my parents for spitting at a police cruiser on the weekend after Labor Day 1975.
Or how about "Pass the Parkay."
And here's something to remember, "When you say Budweiser, you've said it all."
How about "Love My Good 'n' Plenty?" That was a great jingle.

Kars4Kids charity misleads donors, report says

"However, new revelations about the charity are no laughing matter. According to the Minnesota attorney general, between 2012 and 2014, Kars4Kids raised $3 million in the state through car donations. But less than $12,000, less than one percent of what was raised, went to Minnesota kids.

"I think it's important when people donate to a charity, that they have information in terms of where their money is going," said Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson.

Where does the money go? Ninety percent of the monies donated go to a sister organization, Oorah, a New Jersey-based charity that operates Jewish youth summer camps in New York. "

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kars4kids-charity-misleads-donors-report/

There is certainly an overhead in any fundraising endeavor, but with all the Kars-4-Kids commercials that overhead must be excessive. The commercial never specifies what charities get the proceeds from the sale of the cars donate.

Do the commercials say where the money goes? At the very least, K4K needs to be clear about that in their ads.

I bet most folks think the donations all go to, for example, sick kids needing medical care or some such. The summer camps might be a noble idea, but I don't think that's where most people across the country envision their money going.

Do the commercials say where the money goes? At the very least, K4K needs to be clear about that in their ads.

Would you be inclined to donate if you knew that 90% of the money goes to a Jewish camp for kids in NJ?

The REAL question is: Does the contract you sign when you donate the car and turn over the title indicate where the money is going? Because if it doesn't, you're a fool for donating. Plus it could be fraud. But then, maybe all people care about is the tax deduction. I donated some furniture to a local charity and really didn't give any thought to what happened to it afterwards. I just wanted to get the furniture out of my house. For all I know it could be in a dumpster, or in the home of the guys who picked it up.

There is certainly an overhead in any fundraising endeavor, but with all the Kars-4-Kids commercials that overhead must be excessive. The commercial never specifies what charities get the proceeds from the sale of the cars donate.

The real motive for donating "klunkers" to Kars for Kids is to get the signed paper that allows a tax deduction to be taken. I'll bet more people do it for the deduction than for the satisfaction of giving.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom