• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gene Simmons on State of Current Pop Music and Musicians

Please tell me Gene Simmons is not qualified to opine on the condition of today's music.

Gene's son Nick is a musician. Ask Gene what he thinks about his son's music. Go ahead.

Once again, this topic doesn't belong on the National Radio board. Gene isn't talking about radio.

Gene's son Nick is a musician. Ask Gene what he thinks about his son's music. Go ahead.

That wasn't the topic and in any case I don't care. Nice try changing the subject though.

Once again, this topic doesn't belong on the National Radio board. Gene isn't talking about radio.

You just can't leave the criticism alone, can you? I have asked that you just ignore my posts but since you won't do that please be advised I will not respond again to yours but just this once: Gene was not talking about radio directly, no. But he was talking about music and music has been one of the most prolific subjects on these radio boards. I put it on the National Radio Board because it didn't seem to belong anywhere else and if that was in error I assume the moderator will move it and probably spank my hands.

Now, goodbye.

Please tell me Gene Simmons is not qualified to opine on the condition of today's music.

Anyone is qualified to give an opinion. Whether it is a valid opinion is a different question.

Mr Simmons seems to believe that anything that is not pure rock and roll is not good. He does not understand the cycles of popular music and the fact that each short era has its own particular music that reflects the current mood of that group.

I put it on the National Radio Board because it didn't seem to belong anywhere else and if that was in error I assume the moderator will move it and probably spank my hands.

There is a rock board. That's where this thread belongs.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?754-Rock-Classic-Rock

In my opinion, today's rock sounds the way it does because of Gene Simmons, who proved that you didn't need to know anything about music to sell a 100 million records. He says todays music doesn't stand up to The Beatles. But the fact is neither does HIS music. He made crap. He made popular crap. How is that different from Justin Bieber?

Anyone is qualified to give an opinion. Whether it is a valid opinion is a different question.

I have been vilified several times on this board for giving opinions with the major complaint that I was not qualified (or believed someone else was not qualified) to provide an opinion. In fact, opinions are everyone's right. You and I may not agree with each other but that does not disqualify an opinion.

Personally, I don't like the music of Simmons or KISS but they are musicians and successful ones at that. I therefore think he has the right to express his opinion and it should be given at least a minimum of respect as he was one of the more successful musical artists of the time. I remember when the Stones and the Beatles came over and how many critics opined that they lacked even basic musical skills. The rumor then was that the Beatles could not even read music. Not sure if that was true but the bottom line is they became the most popular pop music act in history so they must have had some skills which the people appreciated.

Mr Simmons seems to believe that anything that is not pure rock and roll is not good. He does not understand the cycles of popular music and the fact that each short era has its own particular music that reflects the current mood of that group.

I too do not agree with everything Simmons says but I thought his remarks on current pop music were pertinent to previous discussions. And, I thought that Simmons, talking about music in general and not just classic rock, disqualified it from posting on that board. Perhaps the moderator should create a "crappy music" board so our discussions would have a sandbox in which to play. :cool:

I too do not agree with everything Simmons says but I thought his remarks on current pop music were pertinent to previous discussions. And, I thought that Simmons, talking about music in general and not just classic rock, disqualified it from posting on that board.

He knows what he knows, which is making money. That's what he knows. If you've watched his reality TV show, he is very proud of the music his son makes, which is typical of most parents, and his son's music is very typical of the music of his generation. So Gene may not feel that Justin Bieber's music is timeless, but Gene doesn't know all of the music being made today. He just knows the music he hears, and doesn't think it's good. That doesn't mean ALL of the music being made today is bad. Just that the small portion that Simmons hears isn't good. Which is fine, because a lot of people think HIS music sucks too. What I have learned is that there is a whole lot of music being made today that doesn't get heard by everyone. To dismiss all of today's music as one thing is uninformed.

I don't think much of the music being made today is good, but that's just me. Someone who knows rock would know more. A lot of the good music being recorded today is played on standards radio, if you can find that. Also country radio, but only a few of the new songs in that genre are good in my opinion.

I think Gene Simmons knows enough to have an opinion worth hearing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom