• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

An underserved population?

He's baaaack!

Lol, well mostly. I've lost over 2,500 posts on my ticker, my friends, and my tenure, but que sera sera. As I stated to you in private, it's nice to be home. :cool:

If I may, I'd like to still plug the HAIF forum for those guys over there. Great site that encompasses EVERYTHING related to Houston, so don't let the architecture title in the site's name fool you. It has so much more to offer than just building designs. Great historical area, always on top of the latest things "Going Up" within the market, and a great group of members that are very welcoming. They even have sub-areas for San Antonio, Dallas, BCS, et al. The HAIF just went through an upgrade, making the site even easier to navigate and has some pretty neat features that make your journey through the informative site quite nice. If you are in Texas, and want to sink your teeth into a community that covers the latest happenings and news for more than just radio and television, I highly recommend you pay them a visit.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/

What gets me about SXM is that stuff like "Honey" and "Harper Valley PTA" is in regular rotation -- I can't imagine hearing either on an FM oldies/classic hits station; way too polarizing. For me, they are instant tune-outs.

Instant tuneouts for you, not for their audiences. At least they have the "courage" to play them unlike many terrestrials that avoid tons of playable songs.

Instant tuneouts for you, not for their audiences. At least they have the "courage" to play them unlike many terrestrials that avoid tons of playable songs.

I really doubt that there are more than a handful of people who want to hear those two petrified turds.

The most common criticisms I have heard about the decade channels on satellite have to do with their horrible vertical and horizontal rotations and the strange depth of the playlists among songs that are memorable but totally burnt. "Honey" is but one example.

Our very own 97-1 KTHT has both Tammy Wynette's "Honey" and Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." in regular rotation, in market #6. More than a handful of listeners are hearing both songs daily on the 100kW behemoth covering everything from Lufkin to the Golden Triangle to Houston, and KTHT does very, very well for being a rimshot into Houston. I have to agree with oldies76 here, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it "courage" to spin either song. Neither detracts from KTHT's numbers, apparently, and they both fit into the format quite well.

Certainly not "instant tuneouts" as CTlistener claims, but maybe that IS the case way up there in Connecticut. Not so much here in Houston, though. KTHT is by far the highest rated rimshot this market has, and isn't losing any ground in that particular arena because it regularly plays those two songs.

Our very own 97-1 KTHT has both Tammy Wynette's "Honey" and Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." in regular rotation, in market #6. More than a handful of listeners are hearing both songs daily on the 100kW behemoth covering everything from Lufkin to the Golden Triangle to Houston, and KTHT does very, very well for being a rimshot into Houston.

Since Liberty County is in the Houston MSA, and KTHT is licensed to a city in that county, it's technically not a rimshot, just as KROI and KOVE are not rimshots. They are just metro stations that are less advantageously located.

The true rimshots are stations like KTJM and KQBU which are licensed outside the MSA and transmit from the very edge of the market.

I have to agree with oldies76 here, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it "courage" to spin either song. Neither detracts from KTHT's numbers, apparently, and they both fit into the format quite well.

The context, I think, is classic hits / oldies, not classic country. Bobby Goldsboro, not Tammy Wynette. And KTHT's audience is pretty much 55+, with it being below #20 in 18-49-

Certainly not "instant tuneouts" as CTlistener claims, but maybe that IS the case way up there in Connecticut. Not so much here in Houston, though. KTHT is by far the highest rated rimshot this market has, and isn't losing any ground in that particular arena because it regularly plays those two songs.

Stations like KTJM have as much as double the 25-54 audience of KTHT, despite being farther out of the market. Maybe they should be looking a bit harder at that playlist

The context, I think, is classic hits / oldies, not classic country. Bobby Goldsboro, not Tammy Wynette.

Correct. I'm not even familiar with a Wynette song called "Honey," and I'm a pretty big classic country fan for a New Englander. Was it a cover of the Goldsboro hit?

I really doubt that there are more than a handful of people who want to hear those two petrified turds.

Ha....I don't think Mr. Goldsboro and Jeannie C. would appreciate that term. Remember (as you said many times) if a station is playing them, then they have tested satisfactory or they have positive audience review. Two number ones from 1968, still receiving airplay. To me, that's a positive any way you cut it....in 2016.

Ha....I don't think Mr. Goldsboro and Jeannie C. would appreciate that term. Remember (as you said many times) if a station is playing them, then they have tested satisfactory or they have positive audience review. Two number ones from 1968, still receiving airplay. To me, that's a positive any way you cut it....in 2016.

I doubt a station in the Houston market that ranks below 20th in the sales demos and bills well under $1 million a year spends the roughly $50 k it costs to test a large library even once a year.

In any event, the station is not playing the Goldsboro version, as it is a country gold format; it was earlier specified that it was a Tammy Wynette cover.

I doubt a station in the Houston market that ranks below 20th in the sales demos and bills well under $1 million a year spends the roughly $50 k it costs to test a large library even once a year.

They run on auto-pilot. The company that owns this station also owns the #1 country station in town. They use this as a format flanker, and it's worked. It's kept CBS, which was once the #1 station in town with KILT at #2 in the format for a long time. KILT can't use heritage as an advantage when you have a competing classic country station taking away audience. The problem is that strategy can only work for so long, and based on the rising demos, it's likely that Cox will need to make some changes there at some point.

For me, the instant turn off would be "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. A classic rocker in Lansing, Michigan actually used that in a TV ad as an encouragement to tune out the local oldies station and try them instead.

For me, the instant turn off would be "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. A classic rocker in Lansing, Michigan actually used that in a TV ad as an encouragement to tune out the local oldies station and try them instead.

Since few major markets have an "oldies" station any more and "classic hits" stations are now moving into 90's songs, the chances of "Sugar Sugar" being played are infinitesimally small.

Since few major markets have an "oldies" station any more and "classic hits" stations are now moving into 90's songs, the chances of "Sugar Sugar" being played are infinitesimally small.

Right, but that's another one that's still in power rotation on '60s on 6. I'm not sure why Sirius XM thinks playing songs like "Sugar Sugar" and "Honey" as often as "Satisfaction" and "California Dreamin'" is a good idea. There's no "oh wow" factor to those songs and they've been non-starters on FM (except for small-market mom-and-pop oldies stations) so they're not catering to chart geeks by playing them, nor are they catering to people who miss their major market oldies station that has either updated to classic hits or gone to a format that will attract still younger ears. I suppose having to fill 24/7 with songs from one decade -- and only the last six years of the decade at that; SXM considers 1960-63 to be in the '50s musically -- means inserting a few questionable choice into the power slots to avoid having too much unfamiliarity in a typical hour.

Considering that Country Legends shifted its core library to 80's & 90's country (Garth, Alan Jackson, Reba) about 6 months ago, the chances of hearing older titles on the station have become pretty small. Some are still there for flavor, but you're more likely to hear The Thunder Rolls or Don't Rock The Jukebox these days.

Last edited:
Correct. I'm not even familiar with a Wynette song called "Honey," and I'm a pretty big classic country fan for a New Englander. Was it a cover of the Goldsboro hit?

Here you go, CT. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhax4gl8w7g
Enjoy! My apologies for the mix up. Thought we were talking classic country at that point in the conversation.

Edit to add: you'll have to forgive me for calling KTHT a rimshot. If it isn't coming from Senior Road or Ennis St., I think of it as one. Both KHPT and KOVE also qualify as such in my vocabulary. Guess I'll start calling them "coordinately challenged". :eek:

Last edited:
They run on auto-pilot. The company that owns this station also owns the #1 country station in town. They use this as a format flanker, and it's worked. It's kept CBS, which was once the #1 station in town with KILT at #2 in the format for a long time. KILT can't use heritage as an advantage when you have a competing classic country station taking away audience. The problem is that strategy can only work for so long, and based on the rising demos, it's likely that Cox will need to make some changes there at some point.

It would be a quick death for KTHT if CBS were to ever take KIKK Country Classics off the HD2 of KILT-FM and return it to a Senior Rd. facility such as its longtime home at 95-7. KIKK on KILT HD2 simply blows me away with its current playlist. Well worth the purchase price I just paid for the HD unit, all in itself. CBS would need another FM to accomplish it, though. Certainly couldn't forsee them blowing anything up currently coming from Mo. City for KIKK to return OTA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom