• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The program "SCAN" 25 September 1988

spiritof67

Leading Participant
How many of you were familiar with the program "Scan?" Scan was a 30 minute show produced by the Evangelical Lutheran Church In America (ELCA) and was hosted by Hal Dragseth. The program would cover spiritual, cultural and social issues and featured guests speaking 'in their own words,' mixed with rock music that would fit that particular topic.

Scan was carried by rock or Top-40 stations, and would generally be heard during a station's public service block programming (typically Sunday morning or Sunday night).

Here is an episode of "Scan" which aired on KSHE Crestwood-St. Louis on 25 September 1988. The file is 192/44.1 and can be found here:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/4-k6QtFAba/Scan__ELCA_Program__25_Septemb.html

How many of you were familiar with the program "Scan?" Scan was a 30 minute show produced by the Evangelical Lutheran Church In America (ELCA) and was hosted by Hal Dragseth. The program would cover spiritual, cultural and social issues and featured guests speaking 'in their own words,' mixed with rock music that would fit that particular topic.

Scan was carried by rock or Top-40 stations, and would generally be heard during a station's public service block programming (typically Sunday morning or Sunday night).

Here is an episode of "Scan" which aired on KSHE Crestwood-St. Louis on 25 September 1988. The file is 192/44.1 and can be found here:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/4-k6QtFAba/Scan__ELCA_Program__25_Septemb.html

I am not familiar with that particular program, but have heard similar efforts. These programs tread a very fine line - finding secular rock songs that have a Christian, or at least a positive message. My favorite was "Hold On Loosely" by .38 Special - which was the finest application of First Corinthians 13 ever penned. It helped me out of the trap of jealousy, that ruined every relationship I had up to that point. However, I never played it on a Christian station. Our station manager was an elderly diabetic with rapid and wide mood swings - if he ever got wind I was playing secular rock we would have been off the air. These Christian programs that play on secular stations have no such limitations. But the potential for embarrassment is always there. You make one tiny mistake with theology (Spirit in the Sky, Imagine, My Sweet Lord) and you lose credibility with your listeners who are Christians. But if go too far in finding obscure, deep rock tracks that ARE theologically sound, you lose the secular audience who wants to hear familiar tunes. Then there is the issue of the lifestyle of the artist. It is hard enough to screen Christian artists - their lyrics are generally published, but their lifestyles are not. With secular artists, there is no safety net that keeps them from sin. One day they might pen absolutely amazing scriptural wisdom - on purpose or by accident, and the next day have a pot smoking party that gets notoriety in the tabloids - or worse. Personally, I think it would be too much work to maintain the integrity of such a show. I'd still jump at the chance, but I think it would be a lot of work and I would constantly be worried about losing the credibility of the show to Christian audiences.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom