• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Translators in big cities

Maybe the more experienced can explain to me the reason why someone would buy or operate a translator in a big city full of tall buildings, bridges, tunnels, etc where, at best, it could barely reach either the center or one of the outer belts of said city.

I'm amazed of how many small producers (mostly Latin/ Hispanic or religious) believe that they'll make a great move renting a 110w translator in a big city and 3 months later they are asking themselves what went wrong. I know there are some success stories, but you can count them with one hand.

Because if someone has an AM, it's a cheap way to get on the FM band.

Agree that the prospects for success are minimal. The FM band is crowded as it is in most major markets.

Maybe the more experienced can explain to me the reason why someone would buy or operate a translator in a big city full of tall buildings, bridges, tunnels, etc where, at best, it could barely reach either the center or one of the outer belts of said city.

I'm amazed of how many small producers (mostly Latin/ Hispanic or religious) believe that they'll make a great move renting a 110w translator in a big city and 3 months later they are asking themselves what went wrong. I know there are some success stories, but you can count them with one hand.

Are you asking about translators in general? Or are you asking in relation to the recent proposed AM improvement initiatives that involve translators?

In Memphis there is Guess FM, that is made up of 2 AM stations feeding 3 translators to cover the area that is doing good. http://www.guessfm.com/

Also Air 1 is using a translator that is carrying their HD2 signal on KJMS 101.1 in Memphis.

Last edited:
In Memphis there is Guess FM, that is made up of 2 AM stations feeding 3 translators to cover the area that is doing good. http://www.guessfm.com/

Also Air 1 is using a translator that is carrying their HD2 signal on KJMS 101.1 in Memphis.

There are plenty of translators getting salable numbers in markets ranging from Palm Springs to Albuquerque to Atlanta.

A good example is San Antonio, where a translator is #15 in a market where there are 42 stations that make the book.

WPOZ's translators do well in the ratings (except their Christian Rock format). G106.3 and Hot 95.9 are doing very well, at least in the last book before WPOZ quit encoding.

It depends on the market. If the market is not spread out, they work well. Miami would be a tough market for example. Mobile Alabama is another market that translator reception is poor. Height and tower location is very important. I know one translator that is 10 watts but is 800 feet above average terrain and the signal does well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom