• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Breezin' ?

How can this format succeed? I could not believe what I was hearing...Robbie Dupree, Air Supply, Roxette --- stuff from the $1.00 vinyl bins. When the format changed, I'd assumed it would be soft rock from the past 20 years. Instead they're playing a ton of '70s and '80s. I gather the target is housewives and dentist offices. Is there enough there to generate revenue? Can this possibly work?

How can this format succeed? I could not believe what I was hearing...Robbie Dupree, Air Supply, Roxette --- stuff from the $1.00 vinyl bins. When the format changed, I'd assumed it would be soft rock from the past 20 years. Instead they're playing a ton of '70s and '80s. I gather the target is housewives and dentist offices. Is there enough there to generate revenue? Can this possibly work?

At some point KISQ would have to change the playlists to match up with the current KOIT or Current KOST playlists to get younger demos to Mainstream AC. Soft AC is so 1980's and 1990's format and it was during the time when stations were getting rid of the EZ/BM format.

Just listened to an hour online and I may as well have been listening to a recording of any "Lite" AC station of 20 years ago. Patrick Swayze? In 2016? Really? Got to think that it's mostly the upper end of 25-54 female who still wanted to hear that song in 1996, and they'd be 55-74 today.

Just listened to an hour online and I may as well have been listening to a recording of any "Lite" AC station of 20 years ago. Patrick Swayze? In 2016? Really? Got to think that it's mostly the upper end of 25-54 female who still wanted to hear that song in 1996, and they'd be 55-74 today.

In a weird way, even though it's a train wreck, it's actually refreshing (and almost exciting) to listen to....mainly due to the surprise angle, and the fact that it's been a few years since I've heard some of this stuff. They're playing things you'd only expect to hear driving through the small towns of New Mexico. By playing 10,000 different songs and having no DJs, maybe the angle is to mirror a Pandora/Spotify experience for the office world. Interesting to see how this works from the business end.

I listened this past weekend and I thought the same thing... It was like someone put me in a time machine and took me back to the 90's. Not sure how things will shake out, time will tell.

Soft AC has been working in several large markets. WDUV Tampa is #1 book after book after book. Sometimes it has more listeners than the next two stations combined. And WFEZ Miami is #3 with a Soft AC format. Both do pretty well 25-54. San Diego had KIFM up till a few days ago also doing Soft AC. It was #1 in the last ratings and top 10, 25-54, so I assume it was close to top 5 in Woman 25-54. But thanks to KFMB-FM and KYXY moving out of Mainstream AC, KIFM has now moved to fill that gap.

If Rock, Classic Rock and Classic Hits stations can go back to the 70s and 80s for their music, why can't a specialized AC station? And I notice they play an occasional song from Adele and other current artists.

Soft AC has been working in several large markets. WDUV Tampa is #1 book after book after book. Sometimes it has more listeners than the next two stations combined.

But it is still mostly 55+ with a huge part that is 65+. Cox managed to move it a bit younger, and it is now in the top 10 in 25-54, but just barely. Billing has moved up to about 12th in the market, but it still has the image of being the geezer station with clients.

And WFEZ Miami is #3 with a Soft AC format.

With an audience that is 65% Hispanic. They are in the top 5 in 25-54, but in a somewhat atypical market.

San Diego had KIFM up till a few days ago also doing Soft AC. It was #1 in the last ratings and top 10, 25-54, so I assume it was close to top 5 in Woman 25-54.

It averaged 11th in men and 10th in women 25-54. Not bad, but with the opportunity to fill the AC void, it made sense to fill it.

By playing 10,000 different songs and having no DJs, maybe the angle is to mirror a Pandora/Spotify experience for the office world. Interesting to see how this works from the business end.

except: it's not 10,000 "different" songs. There's a LOT of repetition. And they added jocks: I've heard Lisa St Regis and Tony Sandoval and I'm not sure but I think they retained most of the Kiss-FM staff.

I don't see an AC "void" in the Bay Area. KOIT is the 800 lb gorilla, and I don't see how their tweaks (a rather slow evolution, really) into a slightly livelier and more current sound - creates a void for "The Breeze" to fill. More like a stale, flatulent gust, IMO.

Well, in the last hour KOIT played...

Santana--Smooth
Uncle Cracker--Follow Me
Meghan Trainor--Lips Are Movin'
Anna Kendrick--Cups
U2--Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Dixie Chicks--Landslide
Adele--Hello
Pink--Get This Party Started
Howard Jones--Things Can Only Get Better
Bonnie Tyler--Total Eclipse of The Heart
Andy Grammer--Keep Your Head Up

Other than Landslide and Hello, I'm not sure any of these songs would be heard on KISQ. And conversely, you'll notice that KOIT doesn't play anything too soft, not even by big stars. So even though both stations might be AC, they really don't share a lot of their playlists.

I don't see an AC "void" in the Bay Area. KOIT is the 800 lb gorilla, and I don't see how their tweaks (a rather slow evolution, really) into a slightly livelier and more current sound - creates a void for "The Breeze" to fill. More like a stale, flatulent gust, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6n5JpTbvEY
See this 1989 Clip of KOST Los Angeles Lovesongs with Laurie Sanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaS7jpQwhfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzCnljz-UA8

If you want to see how KISQ Breeze is Operating the AC Format all you have to do is look at old airchecks of KOST Los Angeles from 1989. Even KOST today does not play soft AC today. They are Mainstream AC for that Market like KOIT is for the Bay Area. How will KISQ operate and get current demos for today though? that's a big issue here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAYrbxcQ7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Zqk8U4QMo

Why? They doing fine, so don't change something. Give it time, it sounds great and refreshing between all these mainstream crap.

Kudos to Clear Channel! Jack Colt (sp?) formally of KOIT will be back on the air in San Francisco. Monday morning he begins morning drive on 98.1 The Breeze!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom