• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any more examples of stupid commercials - past and present?

trusty

Star Participant
Just heard a new commercial from Belinda (who does just about every commercial on WSB radio these days). “Hi, y’all. This is Belinda, and I just wanna tell y’all that I found out I have low testosterone. That’s right … low testosterone. But I found a place that can cure all that … (continues with commercial). It ends with, “I’m gonna try these good folks out, and I’ll let you know later about my progress.”

And, to add insult to injury, it followed a commercial about Shane Co. You know the intimidating ads for Valentine’s Day where our friend in the diamond business was on the phone with a guy on one end of the line and his wife on the other, and the guy was going to get his wife something practical, but was talked into buying a ring from our friend etc. Well, now they are doing the same thing for Mother’s Day trying to make a son feel like dirt in front of his mother – same classy approach (place sarcasm here).

It’s like slowing down to check out a car wreck. You just gotta visit the store to see if these guys are for real – and if they are on the phone.

So now, just imagine in a couple of weeks, you hear this real deep voice come on and say: “Hey, buds. This is Belinda, and I just wanna let y’all know that these damn testosterone treatments are working…”

Can’t wait.

I hate the Shane commercials. There must be some method to the madness of Yet Another Commercial That Makes Men Look Stupid, since they seem to be more and more common.

I complained on Rock 100.5's FB page, and they just said in so many words that they were just glad to have the spot buy (natch). But don't radio stations try to give advice to their advertisers on how to be more successful with their ad buys as a value-add?

Maybe I will buy my mom or wife jewelry for the holiday du jour. But I sure as hell won't do it at Shane.

If Belinda is doing commercials for low T then that means there isn't ANYTHING she won't hawk.

Interesting the most hated commercials that are so terrible are the subject. There's a guy in my market that has made himself a millionaire so many times over he likely has lost count. His ads were designed to be irritating to the point people would talk about how horrible they were. In fact some would on;y sell him overnight ads so as not to offend that many radio and TV listeners and viewers.

I heard the Low T spot today, and about drove off the road....

She will endorse anything!

Interesting the most hated commercials that are so terrible are the subject. There's a guy in my market that has made himself a millionaire so many times over he likely has lost count. His ads were designed to be irritating to the point people would talk about how horrible they were. In fact some would on;y sell him overnight ads so as not to offend that many radio and TV listeners and viewers.

Here in Atlanta most of the older folks on this thread will understand this:

"Where's Loganville?"

It was such an annoying commercial that everybody quoted and made fun of it for years. Even though the commercials were very annoying, I guess they were successful.

"So now, just imagine in a couple of weeks, you hear this real deep voice come on and say: “Hey, buds. This is Belinda, and I just wanna let y’all know that these damn testosterone treatments are working…”

LOL

I remember a few years ago when Shane's ad agency devised a clever jingle for "our friend" that went something along the lines of, "he's dull but he's brilliant." An obvious play on our "dull" friend who sells "brilliant" jewelry. The ad agency must have gotten axed as those commercials didn't last more than a couple of months.

As for Belinda, she just enjoys cashing those fat checks. Lol

Say what you will about the Shane Company commercials, but they must have worked big time or they wouldn't still be around after all of these many years.

I know I've said this before ... But, In Case You Missed It:

It's about that commercial that guaranteed repeat customers. It aired ONE time in Charlotte: "I guarantee that once you visit my restaurant, you'll be a regular."

Still tops on my list.

By the way, I've heard Belinda's low-testosterone commercial, and she does *not* say she has it. She says lots of men have it. Still, when they get Belinda to do a commercial like that, it reeks of a personality paid to do an endorsement but having no true relationship with the product being endorsed. Of course, people not as close to radio as we are may not perceive it as I do.

When I was a kid, I used to drive my Mom crazy by repeatedly and incessantly singing ♪♫"48-0-1, 48-0-1, 48-0-1 Buford Highway!"♫♪

Ya know, to this day I haven't a clue what that commercial was for.... I DO know that the business was located at 4801 Buford Highway, though(!)

When I was a kid, I used to drive my Mom crazy by repeatedly and incessantly singing ♪♫"48-0-1, 48-0-1, 48-0-1 Buford Highway!"♫♪

Ya know, to this day I haven't a clue what that commercial was for.... I DO know that the business was located at 4801 Buford Highway, though(!)

Automan Transmission. That's Automan Transmission, that's Automan Transmission, that's 4801, that's 4801, that's 4801 Buford Hiiiiiwaaaaay!!!!

I feel kind of, well, stupid about this, but somehow I assumed the man on the Rick Hendrick Chevrolet commercials was Rick Hendrick. That was until I was in another market and heard the exact same spot, same voice and same jingle for another car dealership.

Also, you've probably heard Barbara Corcoran endorsing Mark Spain as the best real estate agent in Atlanta. Well, Barbara can be had for a price because she does the same endorsement for agents in other markets.

Here in Atlanta most of the older folks on this thread will understand this:

"Where's Loganville?"

It was such an annoying commercial that everybody quoted and made fun of it for years. Even though the commercials were very annoying, I guess they were successful.

Maxie Price Chevrolet. "Everybody knows where Monroe is, but WHERE'S LOGANVILLE?!?!"
He has dealerships in Monroe and Loganville.

Then there were his commercials with him and his Crying Towel.

I noticed that on the latest Shane commercials, he has some fake caller who is poorly voice-tracked on the air. The person on the other line always talks over him while he is advertising like someone who is not really listening to what you have to say. Notice in the most recent commercial where he says "get her something that doesn't suck this Valentine's"...the guy on the other line immediately laughs like Beavis from Beavis and Butthead.

...Notice in the most recent commercial where he says "get her something that doesn't suck this Valentine's"...

That HAS to be a direct rip of the Neal Boortz commercial about a vacuum cleaner store (forgot the name) where the tag line was "...***** Vacuums, where business really sucks..."

I always want to add a tag line like, "OK. Honey. I'll buy you that pendant. Just make sure you don't get it tangled in the cord every time you manually vacuum the rug..."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom