• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

March PPM's

This is far from the first time that WSB has beaten V-103. Keep in mind the very interesting presidential campaign is helping to propel WSB. Also, when PPM first entered the market, Kiss beat out V for several months in a row. I tend not to take just one month as the gospel.

March was a weak month for CHR and Hot AC, which also happens from time to time.

WSB has beat V-103 before but I don't recall a time when two cox stations were beating V-103 which may have been the original point.

I think the entire Rap segment and stations that play and rely on it (such as V-103) are suffering as Rap generally seems to be on the decline. Kiss-104 doesn't really play Rap and at this time that seems to have worked out in their favor.

March was a weak month for CHR and Hot AC, which also happens from time to time.

Don't tell that to the company that used to be named after AM radio stations...about their station that was called 96 Rock once upon a time...

It's looking like Cumeless is now the sick man of Atlanta radio, after that disease resided at the Building of Death for as long as it did...

It may be due to a panel change more than anything else. When the numbers change like this, for no apparent reason, it may be because there are new panelists taking the place of others who have dropped out. Significant changes in location/zip codes can favor certain stations and/or formats.
Nothing has changed at either station as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
It may be due to a panel change more than anything else. When the numbers change like this, for no apparent reason, it may be because there are new panelists taking the place of others who have dropped out. Significant changes in location/zip codes can favor certain stations and/or formats.
Nothing has changed at either station as far as I can tell.

Yes, that can happen. But I have found the PPM ratings to be consistent and logical overall. I don't base media buying decisions on 1 month; I look at a 3-month average. When a significant change in a station's ratings remained steady for 3 months, there was an on-air reason for it.

Power 96-1 in 4th place...wow!!! Dare I say again that our market regrets not putting in a mainstream CHR 25 years earlier. Not sure why it took this long to figure out why this was the missing format needed here in Atlanta. We suffered through the years of listening to the Adult - leaning CHRs of Star 94 and Q100 because that's what the companies thought that's what would work.

Power 96-1 in 4th place...wow!!! Dare I say again that our market regrets not putting in a mainstream CHR 25 years earlier. Not sure why it took this long to figure out why this was the missing format needed here in Atlanta. We suffered through the years of listening to the Adult - leaning CHRs of Star 94 and Q100 because that's what the companies thought that's what would work.

Star has always been considered Hot AC; it does that because it gets good sales results.

Similarly, Q100 took an approach that was less teen driven and has been the #3 biller after WVEE and WSB as a consequence.

"What would work" is not measured against 12+ ratings. It is measured against billing. Power billed less than either Star or Q100 last year. We will see how the revenue changes this year, if at all.

As Mr Freeman mentioned, buys are not made off one book; they are generally done off of a multi-book average. And they are done against adult demo performance, not 12+.

I think the entire Rap segment and stations that play and rely on it (such as V-103) are suffering as Rap generally seems to be on the decline. Kiss-104 doesn't really play Rap and at this time that seems to have worked out in their favor.

Don't forget KISS 104.1 has tweaked the format as well. They've added Old School Hip Hop aka "Throwbacks" to the once all R&B playlist. Majic 107.5 and HOT 107.9 has had on air shuffles that may have also affected the ratings. Can't forget OG 97.9, BOOM 97.5/102.9, PRAISE 102.5, STREETZ 94.5 and OLD SCHOOL 87.7 which all play a part of the ATL Urban pie!

Yes, that can happen. But I have found the PPM ratings to be consistent and logical overall. I don't base media buying decisions on 1 month; I look at a 3-month average. When a significant change in a station's ratings remained steady for 3 months, there was an on-air reason for it.

People are creatures of habit. I don't believe the average radio listener changes their listening habits very easily; I know I don't!

People are creatures of habit. I don't believe the average radio listener changes their listening habits very easily; I know I don't!

Since the average person listens to 6 stations during the course of a week, most changes you see in the ratings come from increased use of some stations and decreased use of others by individual listeners.

So how does this whole billing thing work? Correct me if I am wrong but the way I see it is if a station caters to an audience that tends to have more money or spends more money on the products it advertises then you bill more from the advertisers on this? So Q100 can do worse in ratings than Power 96-1 but because Q caters to an audience that will spend more money on their advertisements, then technically Q is doing better overall and this would be a true grade of a station correct?

I'm interested in RadioDoggie's response on this. I think this explains why some stations that seem to always come in at the bottom of the ratings, stay on the air. For example, I'm assuming your Rock 100.5 and News 106.7 bill very well since we can't say they are still on the air for their ratings. If I'm right so far, how do we know how stations are billing? Is that for public eyes?

Generally, billing info is not available for public eyes. The top ten billing stations in the nation are published annually and if you're lucky, you might be able to find an article from a local source that posts the top billers in their given (large) market if you do a web search. But the majority of billing info can be purchased, but it's far from cheap. That's why it's pretty nice of David that he shares what he can.

There used to be an outfit which confidentially accepted billing information from individual stations, and reported a condensed version of who billed what, to a degree. Eduardo probably remembers the company and whether it still does so or not (I don't). Also, what's important to the Cloud Company and other broadcasters is, "How much did we bill in the market will all our stations". If you run the dollars up on one of your stations by taking it away from another of your stations, you haven't gained anything.

There used to be an outfit which confidentially accepted billing information from individual stations, and reported a condensed version of who billed what, to a degree. Eduardo probably remembers the company and whether it still does so or not (I don't). Also, what's important to the Cloud Company and other broadcasters is, "How much did we bill in the market will all our stations". If you run the dollars up on one of your stations by taking it away from another of your stations, you haven't gained anything.

You are referencing Miller Kaplan, an accounting firm which in the majority of larger metro areas collects data from each station and cluster and gives tracking data to the participants in condensed form.

There are also companies like BIA that produce data for station buyers, sellers and investors that include revenue estimates by market and by station based on reports from each market.

So how does this whole billing thing work? Correct me if I am wrong but the way I see it is if a station caters to an audience that tends to have more money or spends more money on the products it advertises then you bill more from the advertisers on this? So Q100 can do worse in ratings than Power 96-1 but because Q caters to an audience that will spend more money on their advertisements, then technically Q is doing better overall and this would be a true grade of a station correct?

Stations that have different formats but the same 12+ ratings may bill very differently. This can be because one station has a better sales staff or it can be due to differences in advertiser appeal of certain formats. Ad buyers do not necessarily treat all formats equally.

I'm interested in RadioDoggie's response on this. I think this explains why some stations that seem to always come in at the bottom of the ratings, stay on the air. For example, I'm assuming your Rock 100.5 and News 106.7 bill very well since we can't say they are still on the air for their ratings. If I'm right so far, how do we know how stations are billing? Is that for public eyes?

Both of those stations are low billers, being between 15th and 17th and the two lowest major FM signals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom