• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big 103.7

Former MTV personalities are taking over the bay area airwaves, first Matt Pinfield and now Martha Quinn.

Sounds nice, good 80's style imaging very upbeat approach. I hope also the presentation style from monday. If it's VT only I don't believe they can't recreate the typical 80's style presentation.
I wonder also when the repeats are slipping in. Don't know if they have big playlist. It's iHeart Media you know ;-)/

Mm, strange? Gordon Lightfood, Chicago, CSNY now on their stream. No 80's. What's going on? Are they still doing classic hits overnights?

Mm, strange? Gordon Lightfood, Chicago, CSNY now on their stream. No 80's. What's going on? Are they still doing classic hits overnights?

I noticed this for 103.7, and 98.1 when it was KISQ. Often overnight they don't stream the terrestrial signal, but instead a random feed.

Strange, why? I hope it's temporarily or a technical failure or something.

It's been happening for years. I used to record their stream using Dar.fm a few years ago, and noticed this overnight. The stream seems generally sloppy, since they don't play local commercials, they splice in promos and artist bios over the local commercial breaks, and are sloppy in how they do it, often cutting over songs. In fact, one time Kevin Klein on Live 105 made fun of CBS for the klunky transitions on the internet stream.

More like "105.3 KFRC" now that there is an Oldies/Classic Hits hole in the Bay Area.

Given that Oldies (60s) and Classic Hits (70s) formats skew too old to be commercially viable, I don't think that "hole" will be filled. Pandora and Spotify will have to fill your needs in that regard.

Given that Oldies (60s) and Classic Hits (70s) formats skew too old to be commercially viable, I don't think that "hole" will be filled. Pandora and Spotify will have to fill your needs in that regard.

Or pay for radio: SiriusXM.

Classic rock is still healthy in most markets, and still gets away with playing a lot of Hendrix, Stones, Floyd, Allmans, etc. along with the "newer" '80s and '90s classics. Three or four '60s/'70s tracks an hour on WPLR New Haven, Seven or eight on WDRC-FM Hartford. I'm surprised the old stuff hasn't become marginalized more by this time. Old rock chestnuts must test better longer than old pop chestnuts, I guess, and don't chase off the younger demos who don't remember them firsthand the way a lot of pop oldies do.

They fixed it. It was a technical failure I guess, the normal 80's format also overnights right now.

Strange, why? I hope it's temporarily or a technical failure or something.

iHeart streams a national feed in the overnights on most, if not all, of its stations and has for several years now. Part of the reason is to cut down royalty costs. Most country stations feed Bobby Bones while CHR's feed Elvis Duran to air more talk programming instead of music. I'd guess the rest of their feeds air more programming from artists and labels that have agreements with the company, though it would still cut the royalty costs down by providing fewer alternatives for listeners who hear a song they don't like.

Making money in the overnights has always been difficult. One would think it would be easier in streaming in the sense that ads can be targeted to the actual listener. I'm guessing there's still not enough volume to make that timeframe profitable. For years, the top station in Los Angeles never made a dime by operating in the overnights. Smaller operators almost never made a profit operating in those hours, which is why so many operators automated when they could.

Making money in the overnights has always been difficult. One would think it would be easier in streaming in the sense that ads can be targeted to the actual listener. I'm guessing there's still not enough volume to make that timeframe profitable. For years, the top station in Los Angeles never made a dime by operating in the overnights. Smaller operators almost never made a profit operating in those hours, which is why so many operators automated when they could.

If you go back to when operating 24 hours a day became common, the reasons for doing so are surprising.

In the days of less reliable equipment, powering up at 6 AM could be a moment of stress on a transmitter.

As the 50's years passed, radio realized that prime time was no longer the evening but, instead, morning drive.

Stations realized that being off the air in morning drive was dangerous and damaging. So instead of waiting until 6 AM to see if the transmitter would light up (yes, they glowed in the dark back then), it was easier to stay on the air all night to be sure that at 6 AM the station was on.

For several decades, most 24-hour stations would shut down at Midnight on Sunday night, and the engineers would do maintenance. As gear became more reliable, that maintenance period disappeared.

I have an anecdote that illustrates the point:

My first independent FM, HCTM1, went on at 6 AM and off at 1 AM. One morning a moment after 6, I got a call.

- "The transmitter won't go on"

- "What does it do?"

- "I heard sparks and now it stinks"

- "What kind of stink?"

- "Like burnt sausage..."

I hopped in the car, opened the transmitter and found a burnt and mostly exploded rat inside. It had gone to sleep over the insulators of the power supply filter choke, and been electrocuted when the transmitter went on. The high voltage made the critter explode. Two hours later, after using lots of rags and toilet paper and alcohol and several tooth brushes, we went back on the air. I had no appetite for hours, but I decided to go 24/7 the same day. And we put copper screens around all the cabling holes in the bottom of the transmitter.

I hopped in the car, opened the transmitter and found a burnt and mostly exploded rat inside. It had gone to sleep over the insulators of the power supply filter choke, and been electrocuted when the transmitter went on. The high voltage made the critter explode. Two hours later, after using lots of rags and toilet paper and alcohol and several tooth brushes, we went back on the air. I had no appetite for hours, but I decided to go 24/7 the same day. And we put copper screens around all the cabling holes in the bottom of the transmitter.

That might be one of the best "dead transmitter" stories I've heard.

No appetite for hours, you've got a strong stomach. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom