• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLUV

KLUV has added more 80's music to their playlist, artists like AC/DC, Billy Idol, Def Leppard etc.

Great station - they just got jammed here in Houston with some foreign garbage, but I can still stream them.

100.3 JACK FM is mostly all 80's now... 7:00-9:00PM nothing but 80's. But they are not just playing the 80's "lunch hour" stuff they are playing Echo & the Bunnymen, Duran Duran, Siouxsie and the Banshees, B-52's, New Order, The Verve, Dead or Alive, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Depeche Mode, The Cult etc. You think this has anything to do with CBS selling off all radio stations?

The 1970's ended 36 years ago. Anyone who was 20+ years old in 1979 has now aged out of the desirable sales demographics. Inevitable that the music emphasis would shift to later decades.

Doubtful, just natural progression with the formats. CBS has expressed they are NOT selling their stations but rather considering spinning the radio division off into its own company. (While still being fully owned by CBS)

Tyler Media's Classic Hits KOMA from OKC added more 80s as well. They're also starting to add a little bit of 90s. Last week when I tuned to KOMA live stream, they were playing "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You".

Entercom's Classic Hits WMXJ from Miami added more 80s as well. They already started to add a little bit of 90s. They aired "Enjoy the Silence" and "Black or White".

KLUV sister Classic Hits WCBS-FM/NY and WOCL/Orlando added more 80s as well. They already started to add a little bit of 90s.

KLUV has been adding 80s for quite a few years already...

R

Classic Hits most popular format of Summer 2015 ... more 80s titles in the mix

This morning, Nielsen proclaimed Classic Hits to be the most popular format for Summer 2015, up 10%.

It includes lists of the top 20 most-played songs in the format this past summer and three years ago. 80s are more than half the list in 2015 ... that decade was not represented on the list in 2012.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...the-crown-for-radio-format-of-the-summer.html

The "Classic Hits most popular format of Summer 2015 ... more 80s titles in the mix" thread was originally posted by K.M. Richards in the 60'/70'/80's Classic Hits board.

KONO 101.1 in San Antonio also added many more 80's titles this past year, primarily from around 1983-1985, with a few songs from 1986-1989 mixed in and a lot of songs from before 1975 have been dropped, or they've cut back on playing anything from before that. The only 90's song I've heard is Bryan Adams Everything I Do, but they are promoting a concert for Vanilla Ice, Salt N Pepa, and Color Me Badd. I assume KLUV is following this same trend as 80's music is now the core decade of the classic hits genre and not the 70's, much like the 60's were for the oldies format.

Tyler Media's Classic Hits KOMA from OKC added more 80s as well. They're also starting to add a little bit of 90s. Last week when I tuned to KOMA live stream, they were playing "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You".

Entercom's Classic Hits WMXJ from Miami added more 80s as well. They already started to add a little bit of 90s. They aired "Enjoy the Silence" and "Black or White".

KLUV sister Classic Hits WCBS-FM/NY and WOCL/Orlando added more 80s as well. They already started to add a little bit of 90s.

KRTH 101.1 in Los Angeles, which is also owned by CBS now has a 90's at 9 block, which plays 90's music from the early 90's all the way up to 1999. Seems like CBS is pushing to add 90's music to the classic hits format.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom