• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dead carrier on 92-9 in Dallas

U

Unknowable

I'm hearing a dead carrier on 92.9 in Dallas. It's been there since at least yesterday, but since I hardly ever visit north TX I haven't heard it before then. Does anyone know what station this is?

Also 95.5 is a dead carrier, yesterday it was playing classic hits music so not sure what happened.

I'm hearing a dead carrier on 92.9 in Dallas. It's been there since at least yesterday, but since I hardly ever visit north TX I haven't heard it before then. Does anyone know what station this is?

Also 95.5 is a dead carrier, yesterday it was playing classic hits music so not sure what happened.

Those are both translators for KSKY/660, and for whatever the reason the feed is down. They technically operate as "emergency FM repeaters" (and thus have no call letters and are not in the CDBS database) in relief of nighttime signal interference from Mexican stations, and have been doing so for almost eight years now. 92.9 is in east Dallas, 95.5 is in Arlington, and there is a 99.9 in northeast Fort Worth.

The classic hits on 95.5 was likely KBGO/Waco coming in over the KSKY translator.

Those are both translators for KSKY/660, and for whatever the reason the feed is down. They technically operate as "emergency FM repeaters" (and thus have no call letters and are not in the CDBS database) in relief of nighttime signal interference from Mexican stations, and have been doing so for almost eight years now. 92.9 is in east Dallas, 95.5 is in Arlington, and there is a 99.9 in northeast Fort Worth.

The classic hits on 95.5 was likely KBGO/Waco coming in over the KSKY translator.
I wonder what the LPFM stations in the area on 92.9 and 95.5 will do to these FM translators?

Last edited:
I wonder what the LPFM stations in the area on 92.9 and 95.5 will do to these FM translators?
Not as much as you'd think, translators enjoy a max power of 250 watts at any height, LPFM is limited to a max of 100 watts at a limited height. More often than not the FM translator will choke out an LPFM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom