Any Plans for FM at 1WTC?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Plans for FM at 1WTC?

Any Plans for FM at 1WTC?

Now that several TV stations signed on to return to 1WTC, have any FM stations done the same?

What TV stations have signed on, and when is the move expected to take place?

According to this, WCBS, WNBC, WNJU, and PBS (I imagine WNET and maybe WLIW) will be moving there.

Quote Originally Posted by storm2k View Post
    According to this, WCBS, WNBC, WNJU, and PBS (I imagine WNET and maybe WLIW) will be moving there.
    Channel 7, 11, and 13 are trying the site out with a STA;

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=2

Most likely not WLIW as they are based on Long Island (transmitting from Plainview).

WPAT is still licensed for that location.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

My understanding is the rent is a million bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Are these networks receiving any type of financial assistance in moving? If not, why spend the money? What do they have to gain by moving?

I think you gain 200-300 feet additional HAAT. Doesn't the old Trade Center location serve LI and Jersey better than Empire?

Update: I checked the FCC database. The difference in height for WCBS application is 1702 feet (519.1 meters) versus 1302 feet (397 meters) That's a pretty substantial increase in antenna height.
    The coverage map (predicted) shows a few miles gain on the island and also north in Conn.
    I assume Big A is saying $1M per year. That's north of $80K monthly!! I wonder what the capitalization costs will be.
    Last edited by wavo; 04-08-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I don't know what the TV rate per year at the ESB is, but it came out during the WBAI eviction that their rent for an FM was in the vicinity of $50,000 per month.

There is one commercial FM that "fit" on the World Trade antenna, WPAT, but which is now on the ESB under an STA with reduced power. It would be a candidate for the move.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast