• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I take it that people in Cuba are not Cubs fans...

I developed quite a hatred for the Cuban 670 growing up in central Ohio in the early to mid-1990s. Many nights, I could not listen to Bulls games because of that station. I don't remember hearing it much before 1992 or 1993, but man, when the conditions were right, it blanketed 670 to the point that you couldn't even hear WMAQ by turning your radio. It was that strong, and in that pre-Internet age, it was very frustrating.
I still hear it from time to time nowadays here in Ohio, but never with the punch it used to have. Most nights I can hear WSCR quite well. The later, the better.

Good point. Years ago when I would visit New Orleans where we had relatives, 670 then WMAQ came in very well with little to no interference. In later years it was obliterated in the deep south.

Cuba is in on 670 most nights in East Tennessee, sometimes with WSCR, sometimes alone or with a second Cuban 670. They did seem to pack much more of a punch across the dial in the cold war era, though I don't remember any multi-cast "choruses". I even remember the Radio Moscow relays on 600....they started at 3pm (regular Spanish domestic programming until then, as heard from Florida).
Radio Tirana Albania......on shortwave they were the cure for insomnia

Evenings I hear them on top of WLS (890) but I can also hear the SAME programming (a little weaker) on top of WCBS (880).
I have heard they broadcast SOMETHING on every one of the AM channels in their country.
Since its government controlled broadcasting, how many different program feeds can they have?
Late at night 2 to 3 AM (EST) they will have THREE frequencies with the SAME programming in JUST the 49 meter SW band.

I have heard they broadcast SOMETHING on every one of the AM channels in their country.
Since its government controlled broadcasting, how many different program feeds can they have?
Late at night 2 to 3 AM (EST) they will have THREE frequencies with the SAME programming in JUST the 49 meter SW band.

There are multiple national networks including Reloj, Rebelde, Progreso and Enciclopedia. There are regional networks such as Radio Angulo, Radio Victoria, Radio Mayabeque and Radio Guama. There are local or provincial stations like Radio Victyoria, Radio Cadena Habana, Radio Cadena Metropolitana Radio Trinchera, Radio 26, Radio Ciudad Bandera, Radio Guayamo, Radio Granma, Radio Bayamo, Radio Coco and more (these are just examples.

The last list I saw had about 170 stations on AM in Cuba.

670 here is usually a mix of Cuba and a weak WSCR. WBBM 780 is much stronger here in SC, along with WLS and WMVP. WGN also comes in almost every night even with a local on 730 within 10 miles.

Thanks David. But is it not all controlled by the government or are there some private broadcasters? How about pirate broadcasters? Do you think with the resuming of US-Cuba relations will we get back some of our clear channels? And I still hear a lot of jamming of US SW broadcasters (some private religious). To give you an example of their jamming philosophy they jam 6080 24/7. But VOA ONLY uses it 1:30 to 2:00 AM each day.

Thanks David. But is it not all controlled by the government or are there some private broadcasters? How about pirate broadcasters? Do you think with the resuming of US-Cuba relations will we get back some of our clear channels? And I still hear a lot of jamming of US SW broadcasters (some private religious). To give you an example of their jamming philosophy they jam 6080 24/7. But VOA ONLY uses it 1:30 to 2:00 AM each day.

All Cuban radio is controlled by the ICR, the Cuban Institute of Radio and all broadcasts on all stations have to meet the requirements of "the Party" as to content.

There is no private media of any kind. And given the tight control of education, speech and media of the government, I doubt that there will be any private media for years and years.

As long as Radio Martí exists, jamming of the VOA and Martí is a given. As long as free speech is restricted, there will be jamming and blocking of certain broadcasts. The SW jamming is more likely to stop due to the virtual death of Shortwave than for political reasons.

As to changing the current domestic AM operations, I see that totally unlikely. They have a long standing system, abrogated the NARBA treaty over 50 years ago and have recently upgraded most of the AMs with new Chinese gear. Changing the power and frequency of the existing plan under US pressure is as likely as their paying reparations for the US interests confiscated in the early 60's.

Any remote possibility of some of the high powered Cubans becoming the modern equivalent of the Mexican border blasters, leasing out programming to religious broadcasters (or even a modern-day Wolfman Jack?)

Any remote possibility of some of the high powered Cubans becoming the modern equivalent of the Mexican border blasters, leasing out programming to religious broadcasters (or even a modern-day Wolfman Jack?)

Who listens to AM radio at night any more?

Still plenty of Major League Baseball on Ancient Modulation, including major 50 kW blowtorches.

Night season games maybe total 300 hours? And the other 4,500 night hours on the few hundred stations that actually carry baseball) And those that don't?

Night season games maybe total 300 hours? And the other 4,500 night hours on the few hundred stations that actually carry baseball) And those that don't?

Four hours or thereabouts, including pre- and post-game shows, at 130 games per team per year -- 5 games a week other than Sundays, unless it's an ESPN game, with a few day games thrown in here and there. It adds up. And if they weren't making money, the games wouldn't air (see: Arena football and the WNBA, at least in Phoenix).

Those stations that don't air sports? They're obviously a different story.

Four hours or thereabouts, including pre- and post-game shows, at 130 games per team per year -- 5 games a week other than Sundays, unless it's an ESPN game, with a few day games thrown in here and there. It adds up. And if they weren't making money, the games wouldn't air (see: Arena football and the WNBA, at least in Phoenix).

Those stations that don't air sports? They're obviously a different story.

We were talking about night listening to AM in the context of using a Cuban station's skywave to reach US listeners.

In general, radio listening at night is much less than in the 6 AM to 7 PM hours, and AM listening declines even more as most night listening seems to be to music.

So the games that star before sunset (they may be over before sunset in summer!) and the day games would not count. And the portions of night games that are before sunset would not count, either, as they would not be counted in the skywave hours.

As long as the Castros are in charge, my guess is None. Once Fidel and Raul are gone, then all bets are off.

Who listens to AM at night? OTR truckers do. Have you ever heard of Red Eye Radio? They're loaded up with spots for the trucking industry. The two hosts are not professional radio people. I've even heard a four letter word now and then. (Is the delay box on or is the producer asleep at the switch?)

Who listens to AM at night? OTR truckers do. Have you ever heard of Red Eye Radio? They're loaded up with spots for the trucking industry. The two hosts are not professional radio people. I've even heard a four letter word now and then. (Is the delay box on or is the producer asleep at the switch?)

Don't many truckers these days listen to SiriusXM rather than AM? I remember reading about them being significant early adopters during XM's first few years.

Brother Stair still buys time whether anybody's listening or not.

Oh gawd...Brother Stair. That guy's voice gives me the SUPER creeps...Especially when he starts yelling, which is damn near all the time.

I hope to God that Rebelde stays quiet if the Cubs are leading...if the Cubs have a lead in the 9th, I'm turning my Grundig on to 670 to hear Pat call the final outs...I luckily heard the final NLCS double play and it'd be awesome to hear more history being made on the radio. Sure I could flip on the local ESPN affiliate or sit through Fox's 9th with Joe Buck (who is decent at MLB but needs to stick to "America's Game of the Week" aka the Cowboys TV network), but there's nothing like hearing the local call of "the big game".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom