• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unique Radio Sales Idea

Ignition

New Participating Member
Hi Everyone,

I came across this forum while researching an idea for my business. We specialize in vanity phone numbers and many of our clients advertise on radio. Occasionally we work with their radio contact on a script or to help setup call tracking options for a campaign. Our vanity numbers are incredibly easy to remember and because of this our clients generate more calls from their radio spots than with a random phone number or URL. A good example is our client in Atlanta. It’s an orthodontic practice with 22 locations. They got 1-866-GET-BRACES from us to use in their radio advertising. Before 1-866-GET-BRACES they had used a repeater tracking number and then tried a URL. Both did not produce the results they wanted so they tried 1-866-GET-BRACES. Now they are generating substantially more calls than before and continue to advertise on radio (Their marketing director estimates about 16x more calls).

We typically sell directly to businesses who then choose how they want to advertise their new vanity number. But I think that there might be an opportunity working directly with radio sales people by offering them access to our vanity numbers. The radio sales people could use their access to stand out from their competitors. They could use the vanity numbers as something extra that might persuade a business to advertise or keep a client if they are thinking about stopping. For example, if a salesperson was trying to get to a Chevy dealership to advertise they could mention that they have 1-800-CHEVY-CARS for them to use in their radio spot.

The reason why I am reaching out on this forum is to see what forum members think of the idea and if there's a way to work directly with radio sales people? I don’t know how to contact the right people in radio or where to start. We are not trying to spam the forum or sell to the people here, just trying to learn more and maybe have some conversations.

I hope this explanation proves satisfactory and I look forward to any feedback you might have. If you have any questions feel free to call or email.

Here is a study that was done between a random number and a vanity number - Radio-Response-vanity-number-study.jpg

Thanks,
Bruno Tabbi
Ignition Toll-Free
1-800-STRONG-SALES
800.787.6647 EXT 2

Brunot(at)800itf.com
www.ignitiontollfree.com

Everyone,

I approved Bruno's membership knowing full well that he is selling a service.
He is asking for input from our industry professionals. Please don't write negative posts.

Thanks for your understanding.

Frank Berry
General Manager

I think the idea is a good one. In radio we are always looking for creative ideas and this is a good one. In radio sales, it is not so much about the sale but helping the client continue their success and add to it if possible.

I a related concept, we signed up an appliance dealer, for namesake, let's say Joe's Service Center. Our proposal was to refer to his business on the air as Joe's Service Center and Appliance Warehouse since warehouse hinted rock bottom prices and we needed a way to say what the business offered in their name. Their off the main drag location added to the effectiveness. His walk in business doubled in about 6 months. Like the vanity phone number, the vanity business name brought in the customers. He even bought a new sign.

In the radio world competition is significant and many times the competitors are no slouches, so any competitive edge like your service really builds an edge. It tells the business owner we are not here to just take your money to to help you.

Reaching the right people will be fairly tough. The business is still fairly independent. A good start might be calling on Sales Managers to explain the concept. You did a nice job laying this out.

Thank you for the response. I'll try to reach out to some Sales Managers and see how they react. Is there an industry norm for referral fees or things to that effect or do they simply want to make sure their clients get results?

I'm not sure I know exactly what you are asking but I can say it is all about bringing something to the table the competitor might not have and doing everything you can to help the client get results. We all will admit all advertising is a gamble, we just try to make the odds of success the best they can be.

I'd explain the pricing and or compensation your company would get. The value you offer is something pretty unique that gives that station a competitive edge.

There are mailing lists available that can be rented but your best bet might simply be to center on a list of towns and call every station. Does anyone have any suggestions other than Radio Locator that limits how much you can do on a daily basis without a subscription?

Is there a good directory or source for Radio station sales managers?

Today's directories are all online resources. The best source of an email list of a specific title (Sales Manager, Director of Sales, etc.) would be to buy a list from BIA. Go to http://www.biakelsey.com/ and look at the services that are part of the Media Access Pro (MAP) database.

That was an excellent recommendation. That was exactly what we were looking for. I called up a few station managers already and have gotten a very positive response. THANK YOU!

That is what I expected. It's a good idea and even better that you are thinking outside the box to build the customer base! Forward thinking like yours is always welcome and appreciated in radio whether it's from the sales or programming side.

***UPDATE****

I had an opportunity to speak with a dozen or so sales managers and everyone was pretty positive about the idea. Now we just need to create a structure that can integrate into the radio sales process seamlessly. I kicked around the idea of letting their clients use a number for a nominal fee initially to show them how much better their response would be.

Any other ideas on how and when to offer these numbers to clients or businesses you are pitching? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom