• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFOG stays AAA with new PD Bryan Schock

Thanks for reminding us of the data behind the demise of KFOG. However, the small number of comments on a newspaper article probably doesn't mean anything about KFOG, it means that few people read the newspaper, and fewer see the point of commenting on an article that few will see. It may reinforce your belief but it isn't meaningful data.

Considering that most AAA listeners are in the age group that still reads newspapers, I'd say the data are quite meaningful.

KFOG's post on Facebook today (https://www.facebook.com/kfogradio/photos/a.173750549319855.45023.107995802561997/1246276545400578) seems to confirm that the station will remain AAA. Hopefully so! Note the closing paragraph in their note which states "KFOG isn't going anywhere...our intention is to restore the spirit of KFOG and bring it to 2016." If that means that KFOG will be a AAA station that looks to be a home for breaking new music rather than mostly playing burnt to a crisp AAA classics from REM, Tori Amos, Blind Melon, Simple Minds, Eagle-Eye Cherry, Tom Petty, Spin Doctors, INXS.... as well as tracks from artists that can easily be found elsewhere on the dial such as Adele, U2, The Cars, Foo Fighters - that could ultimately be a good thing.

Considering that most AAA listeners are in the age group that still reads newspapers, I'd say the data are quite meaningful.

Except that less than one one-thousandth of KFOG's listeners, even if they read the Chronicle, did not care enough to comment, and with that small a responding sample, any statistician will tell you ... yes, the data is meaningless.

The listeners of KFOG should be glad there is still KFOG, if I ran the stations I would of turned it into KNBR-FM already, I think its about time.

Another move might be Country.

Been tried. And tried. And tried for the third time. Then tried again. And again. And yet again.

Word of how badly Country does in S.F. has never reached Aloha, Oregon, I presume.

Been tried. And tried. And tried for the third time. Then tried again. And again. And yet again.

Word of how badly Country does in S.F. has never reached Aloha, Oregon, I presume.

Country failed again and again and again in Boston before WKLB hit on the right formula. Although if SF remained resistant right through the "country-politan," Urban Cowboy, new traditionalist, and hot country incarnations of the format, chances are trying hot country again won't work. Maybe another sea change in the nature of the genre will have to happen first.

Country failed again and again and again in Boston before WKLB hit on the right formula. Although if SF remained resistant right through the "country-politan," Urban Cowboy, new traditionalist, and hot country incarnations of the format, chances are trying hot country again won't work. Maybe another sea change in the nature of the genre will have to happen first.

Add in the fact that the South Bay part of the market has a very, very successful country station in KRTY. They have been a 4-share station in the embedded San Jose market even with the Cumulus station competing, and now that that one went away they should get a 5 to 6 share again.

Truthfully KSAN was a Top 10 station at one time, getting better ratings than KFOG now. In fact, Young Country got better ratings than KFOG. And when Entercom launched The Wolf, it did better than a 2 share.

It's not always the format, but the execution that makes the difference. You can quote me.

Truthfully KSAN was a Top 10 station at one time, getting better ratings than KFOG now. In fact, Young Country got better ratings than KFOG. And when Entercom launched The Wolf, it did better than a 2 share.

It's not always the format, but the execution that makes the difference. You can quote me.

The Wolf was a good station - good format, good DJs and good music. I'm not even a big Country fan, but I listened quite a bit. I'm unclear on why it ultimately failed.

Maybe KFOG will flip to CHR to give 99-7 NOW a run for the money! This could be one of the greatest CHR battles in San Francisco radio history!

Maybe KFOG will flip to CHR to give 99-7 NOW a run for the money! This could be one of the greatest CHR battles in San Francisco radio history!

Rhythmic music that skews female and fairly young would be the ultra-safe route in any market in which country doesn't work, I would think. If it happens, prepare for a lot of "That's not really music" posts here and elsewhere from disenfranchised AAA fans.

Rhythmic music that skews female and fairly young would be the ultra-safe route in any market in which country doesn't work, I would think. If it happens, prepare for a lot of "That's not really music" posts here and elsewhere from disenfranchised AAA fans.

Isn't Wild 94.9 already providing competition for 99.7? Is there really room for another CHR in the market?

I wouldn't think so, but the Rhythmic has me thinking: maybe they could launch "The Vibe" and attack Q with Classic Hip Hop, hopefully more local than the others though.

99.7 could flip back to oldies, giving the older demos something to listen to. They could be re-branded as 99-7 The Beagle! They're was once a radio station in Great Bend, Kansas that used that name!

Last edited:
99.7 could flip back to oldies, giving the older demos something to listen to.

And giving the agency buyers yet another station to ignore.

I wouldn't think so, but the Rhythmic has me thinking: maybe they could launch "The Vibe" and attack Q with Classic Hip Hop, hopefully more local than the others though.

Isn't 98-1 KISS-FM already a Classic Rhythmic station? I doubt it very much that KFOG would flip to that format.

99.7 could flip back to oldies, giving the older demos something to listen to. They could be re-branded as 99-7 The Beagle! They're was once a radio station in Great Bend, Kansas that used that name!

I've got a better idea. How about 99.7 KFRC? Those calls are currently being wasted on the 106.9 repeater for KCBS. CBS would probably part with them for a sum do be determined.

But again - we already have Oldies (Classic Hits) in this market at Big 103.7

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom