• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.5 The Jag

While going though the daily digest this afternoon I noticed that iHeart filed a license to cover for translator W258AY on 99.5 MHz in Mobile. This is the translator that is supposed to start relaying The Jag sports format come April 2nd. It's going to be fed from WRKH-HD2. I tried to hear the translator from Foley tonight and didn't have any luck… Good tropo brought in WKSM from FWB instead (as well as New Orleans, Hattiesburg and Tallahassee stations), so I can't verify if it's actually on air yet or not. WRKH-HD2 is gone at the moment. Strangely, I was able to hear 100.3 The Beat fairly well, so my bets are that 99.5 isn't on yet despite the license to cover.

There's already a website for the new station, although the listen live link does not yet work. This might be the first time I've found a website for a iHeart station before it's actually debuted.

While going though the daily digest this afternoon I noticed that iHeart filed a license to cover for translator W258AY on 99.5 MHz in Mobile. This is the translator that is supposed to start relaying The Jag sports format come April 2nd. It's going to be fed from WRKH-HD2. I tried to hear the translator from Foley tonight and didn't have any luck… Good tropo brought in WKSM from FWB instead (as well as New Orleans, Hattiesburg and Tallahassee stations), so I can't verify if it's actually on air yet or not. WRKH-HD2 is gone at the moment. Strangely, I was able to hear 100.3 The Beat fairly well, so my bets are that 99.5 isn't on yet despite the license to cover.

There's already a website for the new station, although the listen live link does not yet work. This might be the first time I've found a website for a iHeart station before it's actually debuted.

Yes WMXC already has HD3 for WNTM-AM! However it goes in and out.

Yes WMXC already has HD3 for WNTM-AM! However it goes in and out.

I've noticed the same thing. My signal is fine, so it must be the way it's being fed to WMXC.

I won't be surprised, however, if the HD3 has less "range" than the HD/HD2 channels. I have that problem with the HD3 on WUWF in Pensacola. It cuts out about 10-15 miles before the other channels.

I've noticed the same thing. My signal is fine, so it must be the way it's being fed to WMXC.

I won't be surprised, however, if the HD3 has less "range" than the HD/HD2 channels. I have that problem with the HD3 on WUWF in Pensacola. It cuts out about 10-15 miles before the other channels.

This is really weird. It almost seems like the radio locks on to HD1 first, then HD2 then HD3 then when it starts to loose the signal starts it drops the channels in reverse order with HD3 going away first.

HD has several signal issues including latency. I see a possible power increase for all HD channels in the future. The current power model has many issues. With that said, other than radio geeks..no one cares. I have no desire to invest or listen to HD at this time. Operators like it for the chance to create a digital to a analog (signal) if you have a translator available.

By the time you get the HD3 channel audio quality decreases, but it good for a spoken word format as a translator relay.

Allegedly a couple of month ago the HD folks (or a group possibly affiliated) were offering selected stations free equipment packages in order to bring more awareness (i got a email) and another station got a package too. Since then, we haven't received any more info.

I estimated that it would cost us about 15K a year (even with the equipment provided). The math just doesn't work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
interested to see how this is gonna affect reception of WKSM down on the coast. 99 Rock has always been a fairly consistent catch for me in Orange Beach.

interested to see how this is gonna affect reception of WKSM down on the coast. 99 Rock has always been a fairly consistent catch for me in Orange Beach.

I don't expect much to change, especially that far out of Mobile. I'm in Foley and 99% of the time I hear The Ticket on 100.3 instead of The Beat translator, for example. The 99.5 translator will have a similar coverage area and frankly, WKSM's signal is far better (at least for me) than WTKE so I don't expect there to be any real issue.

Of all the FWB FM signals, 99.5 is second only to 96.5 for me. There are days I don't hear any at all, of course, but I usually hear at least one when I spin the dial on any given day. (And not that anyone cares, but 98.1 would be the third strongest, with 102.1 fourth. 100.3, 103.1 and anything else are much more rare.)

From P'cola:
93.3, 96.5, 98.1 & 99.5 all sound the same.
102.1 & 104.7 come in as strong distants.
100.3 & 103.1 are distant but listenable.
92.1, 105.5 & 106.3 are non-existent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom