Anyone else thinks CHR music has become even more annoying? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else thinks CHR music has become even more annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    There is this service called Spotify. Maybe you've heard of it. It'll even help you discover music you may like better than what the radio is playing.
    I can listen to American Top 40 reruns from the early 70s and wonder "what the hell were we thinking?". No wonder young males flocked in droves to Progressive/Album rock.
    Spotify's computer only. Also a good music discovery "tool" is going on station playlists via "Tunegenie" or whatever method is on station's websites.

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1976 View Post
    As we get older, it is sometimes hard to distinguish how much is age, and how much is trying to look at format changes objectively. Being almost 40, I was raised on CHR of the 80s and 90s. Personally, I liked the variety of hits much better on CHR back in those days. CHR has now evolved (or maybe devolved) to about 90% rhythmic pop and EDM. Rock has pretty much disappeared in the 2010s and most stations only have about 2 or 3 slots for the true Hot AC ("Let It Go", "7 Years") and alternative crossovers ("Stressed Out") into regular rotation. Even though "Stressed Out" was a big alternative hit, there are a lot of rhythmic pop elements to the song.
    People who grew up in the rock era of the 1960s and 70s really hated the '90s when hip-hop and r&b started to become more popular. It was the same story in the golden age of rock. People who grew up during the jazz era couldn't stand rock.

I think 2010s music currently is still palatable for people who grew up in the 90s as the genres haven't changed that much. They've evolved but you still have the same basic genres in rotation now as you did then. The one exception is rock. Since 2010, it's been pretty much absent from Top 40 with the exception of the occasional alternative crossover hit, most of which isn't true rock.

As some posters have said about CHR playing the same songs over and over and songs aren't as good as the 80's and 90's. As a teen growing up in the 80's I can remember a specific station in the Bay Area 105 KITS that was a Mike Josephs formatted Hot Hits station and they would play the top five records every hour (I'm not kidding!). Try hearing Taco "Puttin' On The Ritz" every hour in the summer of 1983 and I'm sure you will have a different outlook on some of those 80's songs LOL!!!

Stitches was mentioned at the top of this thread, and as someone in the demographic though not female, I'm getting sick of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    Stitches was mentioned at the top of this thread, and as someone in the demographic though not female, I'm getting sick of that one.
    Its not on the chart anymore - even if they counted recurrents it would still be down to #30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123