Anyone else thinks CHR music has become even more annoying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else thinks CHR music has become even more annoying?

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    Every station repeats to some extent, but a station that rotates around constant songs I find annoying, I try to tolerate the station as much as I can to hear the good songs--which is subjective. However, when the playlist tightens and the good songs are pushed out, it gives me little initiative to turn back to that station. However, if songs are worked into the mix that do not get played often slid in-between spun-out hits, I usually listen to them.
    1. Yes, you're right ... "annoying" vs. "good" is subjective. If you are hearing more of the former than the latter, you have little choice but to blame poor taste on the part of the mass listenership.

2. Playlists tighten when fewer songs test well. Again, if the songs that test well do not match your personal tastes, you cannot be blamed for not liking it. But it doesn't mean we have to change the programming methodology to serve you rather than those that outnumber you.

3. There is an inherent danger in programming "songs that do not get played often" as those are usually songs that tested (at best) neutral in listener testing. Again, we're not going to program an entire station around those.

I'll repeat myself, because I always end up having to when this type of counterargument is presented: The responsibility of the programmers is to create a product that brings in and keeps the largest number of listeners. We cannot be inclusive of all tastes ... it is a mathematical impossibility. And when we deviate to try to please that listener who has different preferences, we run a huge risk of running off large amounts of the mass audience. (David can explain how, in PPM markets, we can tell precisely which song caused high amounts of tune-out.)

Repeating your POV -- especially with phrases like "I find annoying", "try to tolerate", and "good songs pushed out" -- only tells me you are masochistically listening to radio stations that displease you. It does not create a case for change.

Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    1. Yes, you're right ... "annoying" vs. "good" is subjective. If you are hearing more of the former than the latter, you have little choice but to blame poor taste on the part of the mass listenership.

2. Playlists tighten when fewer songs test well. Again, if the songs that test well do not match your personal tastes, you cannot be blamed for not liking it. But it doesn't mean we have to change the programming methodology to serve you rather than those that outnumber you.

3. There is an inherent danger in programming "songs that do not get played often" as those are usually songs that tested (at best) neutral in listener testing. Again, we're not going to program an entire station around those.

I'll repeat myself, because I always end up having to when this type of counterargument is presented: The responsibility of the programmers is to create a product that brings in and keeps the largest number of listeners. We cannot be inclusive of all tastes ... it is a mathematical impossibility. And when we deviate to try to please that listener who has different preferences, we run a huge risk of running off large amounts of the mass audience. (David can explain how, in PPM markets, we can tell precisely which song caused high amounts of tune-out.)

Repeating your POV -- especially with phrases like "I find annoying", "try to tolerate", and "good songs pushed out" -- only tells me you are masochistically listening to radio stations that displease you. It does not create a case for change.
    That makes sense. To the CD store I go.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    That makes sense. To the CD store I go.
    Sometimes that is the best option for the occasional listener for whom traditional radio programming is unsatisfactory. We in programming learned a long time ago that we can't make absolutely everyone happy.

I do want to know, though, where this "CD store" is that you mention. In all of the San Fernando Valley I only know of three such outlets (all of whom specialize in used-but-perfectly playables), although there are at least that many more in Hollywood on the other side of the hill*. The big box stores like Best Buy which used to have wide selections of CDs are now down to the radio equivalent ... only the top-charting albums. And of course, chains like The Wherehouse disappeared long ago.

*-For those who recall that the website SecondSpin.com had a retail outlet in Sherman Oaks, it closed at the end of 2015. Now all that is left is CD Trader in Tarzana, Orphaned CDs in Northridge, and Freakbeat Records in Studio City.
    Last edited by K.M. Richards; 03-16-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: changed font size in footnote

I didn't get truly and completely disenfranchised until somewhere around 1993.
    Radio used to be so much fun. Even moreso for the DJ's.

Sometimes that is the best option for the occasional listener for whom traditional radio programming is unsatisfactory. We in programming learned a long time ago that we can't make absolutely everyone happy.

I do want to know, though, where this "CD store" is that you mention. In all of the San Fernando Valley I only know of three such outlets (all of whom specialize in used-but-perfectly playables), although there are at least that many more in Hollywood on the other side of the hill*. The big box stores like Best Buy which used to have wide selections of CDs are now down to the radio equivalent ... only the top-charting albums. And of course, chains like The Wherehouse disappeared long ago.

*-For those who recall that the website SecondSpin.com had a retail outlet in Sherman Oaks, it closed at the end of 2015. Now all that is left is CD Trader in Tarzana, Orphaned CDs in Northridge, and Freakbeat Records in Studio City.
    Homer's Music in Omaha, NE has a huge selection of CDs--both from underground and mainstream artists. There might be a similar store in KC, but I haven't checked yet, and I'm sure there's some kind of equivalent in KC.

The local stations in my area seem to have been sounding a little better lately, so I might listen a tiny bit longer, but the next time I'm in Omaha, I'll definitely make a few purchases.

Things went downhill in 2012, when electropop like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha was replaced with teen pop like Ariana Grande and Carly Rae Jepsen. Post-grunge died and hipster rock has tried to take its place but can't fill its shoes.

I do think things have been getting better though. 2013 and 2014 were very bad years for music. Everything was targeted to the #Selfie crowd. Virtually nothing memorable came out in those years. I think getting older and losing the ability to relate to pop music is part of it, but there are plenty of younger people in their twenties that should be in their prime Top 40 years who say the same thing about 2013 and 2014.

Music was good in the early '00s but when I hear it on a CHR today I tend to tune out.

Quote Originally Posted by bchristi View Post
    I think getting older and losing the ability to relate to pop music is part of it.
    As we get older, it is sometimes hard to distinguish how much is age, and how much is trying to look at format changes objectively. Being almost 40, I was raised on CHR of the 80s and 90s. Personally, I liked the variety of hits much better on CHR back in those days. CHR has now evolved (or maybe devolved) to about 90% rhythmic pop and EDM. Rock has pretty much disappeared in the 2010s and most stations only have about 2 or 3 slots for the true Hot AC ("Let It Go", "7 Years") and alternative crossovers ("Stressed Out") into regular rotation. Even though "Stressed Out" was a big alternative hit, there are a lot of rhythmic pop elements to the song.
    Last edited by wxman1976; 04-24-2016 at 11:48 PM.

I liked some of the music in 2014. Cool Kids, Boom Clap, Break the Rules, Habits

I think 2014 was the best year in the last 5 years imo.

Forgot about Sia's Chandelier as well

There is this service called Spotify. Maybe you've heard of it. It'll even help you discover music you may like better than what the radio is playing.
    I can listen to American Top 40 reruns from the early 70s and wonder "what the hell were we thinking?". No wonder young males flocked in droves to Progressive/Album rock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast