• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1250 History in Golden Colo.

thebeach33445

Leading Participant
Hey Guys:

I found something interesting in my research. I found that there was a station at AM 1250 in Golden Colorado.

Here is my timeline of AM 1250

February 4, 1957 KGOL 1250 Format ? Golden Radio inc.

September 1, 1958 KHOK 1250 Format ?

May 4, 1959 KXXI 1250 Format ? Norman Broadcasting Co AQ-Sept 28, 1960.

November 7, 1960 KTWL 1250 Format ?

April 30, 1962 KICM 1250 Format: Beautiful Music/MOR Stds

October 23, 1969 KICM 1250 OFF THE AIR.

Anybody remember that station? I could use some help on formats.

Thanks

T.J.

I've read A LOT on Denver radio history & have NEVER heard of ANY of these stations

Are you sure you have the RIGHT Golden ?? (Nearly EVERY Denver station reaches into golden quite nicely - AND VICE VERSA !! Always has been that way)

There are MANY Goldens in America ya know :D

Best of luck in your search though :)

Yup..it was there. Two sticks, a daytimer with absolutely no chance of success competing against the ample supply of fulltime AM stations in Denver. As the fuzzy brain cells recall, the towers were north of Hwy 6 (6th Av) on the way to the School of Mines. Don't recall the format as getting up Hwy 40 to Sam's on Lookout Mtn was the priority.

Yup..it was there. Two sticks, a daytimer with absolutely no chance of success competing against the ample supply of fulltime AM stations in Denver. As the fuzzy brain cells recall, the towers were north of Hwy 6 (6th Av) on the way to the School of Mines. Don't recall the format as getting up Hwy 40 to Sam's on Lookout Mtn was the priority.

You drove me to Google it...

"For the better part of the 1960s, ’70s and early ’80s, Ron Ralston, who died Saturday at age 67, ran Sam’s, a 3.2 beer roadhouse on Lookout Mountain crowded with patrons flocking to hear live rock music seven days a week.

Ralston established an unflappable presence, pulling beer at the bar and working the crowd, keeping a vigilant eye out for potential troublemakers. Sam’s attracted leather-jacketed bikers along with Colorado School of Mines students, an occasionally volatile combination. "

-Denver Post 2005 April 28

From David's AmericanRadioHistory.com, Broadcasting Yearbook 1958 page A-255:

Golden, Colorado. KGOL (start date: Dec. 1957) 1250 kc. 1 kw Days Directional Antenna. 1220 Washington St. Crestview 9 - 3378. Golden Radio, Inc. (original owner) Robert F. Johnson, general manager & program director, Donald E. Jackson, commercial manager, Stanley Simpson, Jr., chief engineer.

Broadcasting Yearbook did not list a format in these days. It is unusual that an AM station, even a daytimer, covering part of a large market, would sign off in the 1960s, never to reappear. I'm sure I could find day-only stations in the suburbs of Top 20 markets to this day. Maybe they'd be ethnic or religious but they'd still be there. Maybe they'd have a translator today and be fairly profitable.

You drove me to Google it...

"For the better part of the 1960s, ’70s and early ’80s, Ron Ralston, who died Saturday at age 67, ran Sam’s, a 3.2 beer roadhouse on Lookout Mountain crowded with patrons flocking to hear live rock music seven days a week.

Ralston established an unflappable presence, pulling beer at the bar and working the crowd, keeping a vigilant eye out for potential troublemakers. Sam’s attracted leather-jacketed bikers along with Colorado School of Mines students, an occasionally volatile combination. "

-Denver Post 2005 April 28

You didn't buy 3~Two beer, you rented it 'cause it was returned so quickly to the porcelain convenience! And who could ever forget those Sam's commercials heard on 95 Fabulous KIMN? cue Johnny River's "Mtn of Love" and frantically remind listeners that Sam's was "..high on a mountain of love"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom